Requesting Help for 1995 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 02:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Requesting Help for 1995 Accord

Okay I am looking for some help here.

The Vehicle - 1995 Accord EX Coupe, 2.2 L 2156CC I4 SOHC

The problem: About 3 months ago my VVS went out and thanks to the help on here I got it fixed. I had my former mechanic replace the VVS, and change the automatic transaxle fluid.

At 1st everything ran great, even my mileage went up, but when this cold snap hit in Ohio, I started have shifting issues. I checked the dipstick and it is overfilled about a 1/4 inch over max - so I am not sure if this has anything to do with it.

Also these seem to lessen/disappear once the car is warmed up or the outside temp gets about 40-45 Fahrenheit .

1) When 1st placing in drive it just sits - does not go into gear for about 30 seconds. No issue with reverse. This lessen with the temp.

2) If not warmed up - it slips shifting, when 1st coming up to speed - as you accelerate; this does not happen at all if the outside temp is warm.

3) The Tachometer seems to "bounce" sometimes while sitting it park warming up. And sometimes while in drive waiting at a light, but the engine does sound like it is revving to match the tachometer. No matter the temp.

I have taken to a different mechanic and he checked it, he does not think the overfill fluid has anything to do with; it is still showing the code for a bad VVS (Code 17), he tried clearing it, and it did stop for a little bit showing the code but it came back, and so now he is talking about maybe replacing the transaxle computer; but he wants to check on some other things on it and online.

So any ideas, from you guy and gals?

Last edited by ChaosKen60; 01-10-2015 at 02:38 AM. Reason: spelling forgot stuff
Old 01-10-2015, 02:03 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Re: Requesting Help for 1995 Accord

Does your D4 lamp illuminate? If you are only getting code 17 through the CEL and no blinking D4 codes you may want to verify the D4 lamp works. More indepth transmission diagnostics via the TCU are codes retrieved through the D4 lamp.

VSS controls downshift and Cruise Control. It will not affect upshifting.

Tachometer bounce can be annoying, there are a few possible reasons for it, failing pickup in the distributor, loose wiring/bad connection, or fault with the Tach itself. If there is no change in engine speed then it is most likely a circuit problem, and not an engine issue.

Is there a difference in delay when using the other gears, such as placing the shifter into D2?

Place the transmission in every gear until you feel the gear grab. P-R-N-D4-D3-D2-D1 and back into P, recheck the fluid level in the transmission. Pull dipstick, wipe it clean, reinstall and pull to check the fluid level. It should be within the hash mark of the dip stick. Leave the engine running.
Honda has a different procedure for checking, but with older transmissions I find the above to be more accurate.

If heat is a factor there may be an accumulator valve or clutch may be sticking. Try adding a hydraulic system cleaner such as Trans Tune. This will remove any varnish buildup that may be partly causing the hangup/delay.

For more indepth VSS diagnosis
VSS - Vehicle Speed Sensor Troubleshoot, Repair, Replace - How To.

If the upshifts are erratic or strange at times the NM/NC sensors located in the right side cover may be covered in ferrous material that degrades signal resolution. Pull them and verify they are clean and free of slurry.(half way down the page of the below link)
Honda Electronic Transmission Problem- Troubleshoot, Inspection, Repair, Replace.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE
Does your D4 lamp illuminate? If you are only getting code 17 through the CEL and no blinking D4 codes you may want to verify the D4 lamp works. More indepth transmission diagnostics via the TCU are codes retrieved through the D4 lamp.

VSS controls downshift and Cruise Control. It will not affect upshifting.

Tachometer bounce can be annoying, there are a few possible reasons for it, failing pickup in the distributor, loose wiring/bad connection, or fault with the Tach itself. If there is no change in engine speed then it is most likely a circuit problem, and not an engine issue.

Is there a difference in delay when using the other gears, such as placing the shifter into D2?

Place the transmission in every gear until you feel the gear grab. P-R-N-D4-D3-D2-D1 and back into P, recheck the fluid level in the transmission. Pull dipstick, wipe it clean, reinstall and pull to check the fluid level. It should be within the hash mark of the dip stick. Leave the engine running.
Honda has a different procedure for checking, but with older transmissions I find the above to be more accurate.

If heat is a factor there may be an accumulator valve or clutch may be sticking. Try adding a hydraulic system cleaner such as Trans Tune. This will remove any varnish buildup that may be partly causing the hangup/delay.

For more indepth VSS diagnosis
VSS - Vehicle Speed Sensor Troubleshoot, Repair, Replace - How To.

If the upshifts are erratic or strange at times the NM/NC sensors located in the right side cover may be covered in ferrous material that degrades signal resolution. Pull them and verify they are clean and free of slurry.(half way down the page of the below link)
Honda Electronic Transmission Problem- Troubleshoot, Inspection, Repair, Replace.
Thanks for the help Mike
The D4 is not blinking - it was when the VVS went out. So I think it is still working.
Yes it shifts better when placing the shifter into D2.
I will pass the rest on the my mechanic Monday, if you or anyone else has any idea please let me know.

Thanks again Mike
Old 01-15-2015, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: Requesting Help for 1995 Accord

Well the garage I took it gave up, so I got to find someone else - they did not have the equipment to trouble shoot it.

They did find out that the cruise control (VVS?) is acting up again - when cold it will not stay on.
I have not used since winter hit so I did not notice it.

Any ideas Mad Mike or anyone?
Old 01-19-2015, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: Requesting Help for 1995 Accord

Okay I taken it to a new garage with a tester; it is the transaxle it is going out.
They cannot find any codes on it.

NEW QUESTION - I am looking for a new transaxle; I found for a LX my accord is a EX will it still work?
Old 01-20-2015, 02:41 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

honda procedure is to clear codes then see if they come back. a constantly reoccuring code needs to be fixed. this code seems to be constant. im assuming ur speed-o-meter works? changing VSS is simple. search using google.com. i needed to get a few VSS' since most Honda's have this issues u can assume most of them are bad. took 3 of them to find a good one. if speed-o-meter doesnt work then get new dash board.

VSS is attached to transmission. also dist cap and rotor affects shifting. my shifting from 1st to 2nd is silky smooth