Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Oil drain plug

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil drain plug

Just bought a 99 EX Coupe. I went to change to change the oil and noticed the drain plug is stripped (oil pan threads). I'm thinking of using heli-coils to fix it. Does anyone have any experience with heli-coils? Any other ideas short of replacing the oil pan?
Old 12-31-2008, 07:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Oil drain plug

Heli-coil might work if you can get one in that size/thread. But since its a bolt you take out often (obviously), I would just probably drill it out bigger and buy a tap to create threads for a larger bolt.

Also heres an easier way- some part stores sell little thing for stripped pan threads. It has a seal that seals to the pan surface and the small bolt in the middle (that clamps it to the pan), threads to a little collapsable threaded piece that fits on the inside of the pan. You dont have to take off the pan to install it, and they work pretty good, and are by far your cheapest option if your not going to buy a new pan. It works kind of like those hangers you put on drywall walls- you know the one where you drill the hole, stick the hanger through, it unclips and holds- kinda like that.

Well, hope that helps
Old 12-31-2008, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gasha1
Just bought a 99 EX Coupe. I went to change to change the oil and noticed the drain plug is stripped (oil pan threads). I'm thinking of using heli-coils to fix it. Does anyone have any experience with heli-coils? Any other ideas short of replacing the oil pan?
Helicoils would be one avenue, as would drilling and retapping oversized; but surprisingly they may rival the replacement oil pan for cost.
A helicoil kit just for the size you need will rival $60.00 USD. A professional kit with a selection of taps, insert and such would be in the range of $250.00

http://www.cartools.com/Merchant2/me...tegory_Code=KM

The drill/retap avenue would be equally problamatic. Purchasing the needed oversized drill bit and threading tap. etc

Cheapest might be to get a quote for a machine shop installing the helicoil and have them do it. They'll most likely want you to take it off the engine and clean it before they would work on it.

I'm surprised, Honda (Majestic Honda) wants $48.00 USD + shipping for a 1999 EX oil pan. You'd have to order a new drain Plug, Washer and pan gasket to complete what you'd need; but it would be all new.

Refer:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...+BLOCK-OIL+PAN

This now appears to be the cheapest (and best) route.

P
Old 01-01-2009, 05:36 AM

I think for now I am going to tap the hole and go 1 size larger. I think the current drain plug is a 14mm. Is it as simple as just getting a 15mm bolt or is there some other dimension to the bolt size?
Old 01-01-2009, 05:48 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gasha1
I think for now I am going to tap the hole and go 1 size larger. I think the current drain plug is a 14mm. Is it as simple as just getting a 15mm bolt or is there some other dimension to the bolt size?
Where are you going to source 15mm aluminum crush washers?
Old 01-01-2009, 05:52 AM

I haven't gotten that far yet. Are you asking because of difficulty? The current plug has a brass washer on it.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa250R
Where are you going to source 15mm aluminum crush washers?
Let alone trying to find a bolt with anything close to the flange needed to actually seal anything......
Old 01-01-2009, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by AccordInTheMaking

Also heres an easier way- some part stores sell little thing for stripped pan threads. It has a seal that seals to the pan surface and the small bolt in the middle (that clamps it to the pan), threads to a little collapsable threaded piece that fits on the inside of the pan. You dont have to take off the pan to install it, and they work pretty good, and are by far your cheapest option if your not going to buy a new pan. It works kind of like those hangers you put on drywall walls- you know the one where you drill the hole, stick the hanger through, it unclips and holds- kinda like that.

Well, hope that helps
can you post a link to this or find out the name of what you are talking about so we can search for it. This sounds kinda interesting.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldnt find anything online for the quick-fix plugs, but I used to work for an Advance auto parts a while back and they sold them. Just look on the rack that has all the other specific pan bolts and it should be there. I think its made by the "Oil-Tite" brand or something. Other part stores might have something similar.

Heres a neat idea if your worried about it being stripped again: www.qwikvalve.com

Last edited by AccordInTheMaking; 01-01-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:20 AM

What is the actual size/dimension of the stock drain plug on the 99 EX Coupe?
Old 01-01-2009, 10:47 AM
be professional

For years, our shop has used Sure Seal drain plugs from Triad Auto Specialty in NC in cases where the threads in the oil pan are stripped.

http://www.suresealdrainplug.com/ourproducts.html

They offer an oversized 14.5mm drain plug with a rubber O-ring insert (used in place of the aluminum crush washer) that eliminates leaks without requiring the full 31 lb-ft of torque specified by Honda. However, the tap required to cut the 14.5mm threads is more expensive than a new OE oil pan for your particular model.

If it were my car, I'd put a new pan on it. You're fortunate to not have one of the expensive aluminum oil pans that cost a small fortune to replace.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:54 AM

Thanks for all the input. I just got a used oil pan from the junk yard. I just hate to do all the work to swap it out. I guess it's a good thing, though. I just got a P0420 code indicating a bad O2 sensor or cat converter. I guess I will will make a day of it and replace them at the same time.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:08 PM
be professional

P0420 is the converter itself.

Oxygen sensors throw a different code.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:09 PM

> I just got a P0420 code indicating a bad O2 sensor or cat converter.
> I guess I will will make a day of it and replace them at the same time.

I have a 98 ex 4 cyl. The P0420 light comes on for a few days, and then goes out for a few weeks. I can't figure out a particular pattern to whenit goes on/off. Let me know if it is the sensor or the cat.

Mitch
Old 01-01-2009, 01:01 PM

...just finished replacing the oil pan and the cat at my friends garage (lots of nice tools). I reset the check engine light and drove about 14 miles so far with no problem. I did not change the O2 sensors. I heard that cats don't just go bad on their own. I don't know if it is because my EGR passage was clogged for so long that might have caused the problem. I just cleaned the passage last night. A new throttle body gasket cost $1.14, while the stealer quoted me $367 to have it drilled and to put the stainless steel tube in it. I figure I can continue to clean it myself for a couple dollars every 10-20K. The car has 164K on it and runs extremely well (even with P0401 and P0420 showing).
Old 01-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If your oxygen sensor is causing the engine to run rich, the new cat may not live long either. Does your friend have an exhaust gas analyzer?
Old 01-08-2009, 01:04 PM
be professional

Originally Posted by Ronin1
If your oxygen sensor is causing the engine to run rich, the new cat may not live long either.
A primary oxygen sensor will throw a code if it's bad. The system will also throw a "fuel trim too rich" code if it's running rich enough to damage the converter.

The ULEV F23A4 primary O2 sensors are known to be problematic. The non-ULEV F23A4 sensors, not so much.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:28 AM

I changed the cat and both O2 sensors. The light is out for the past 200 miles. I also discovered an easier fix for my drain plug problem. I could have gotten an oversized 14MM drain plug instead of replacing the oil pan. Of course I learned of it a little too late. I convinced myself that I still came out ahead because I didn't have to give away almost a grand to the dealer for all that work. I also noticed a significant increase in gas mileage. I went from 21 MPG to 26 MPG in mixed driving. I drive about 30 miles per day (1/2 highway---1/2 in traffic).
Old 01-09-2009, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Another option to Helicoil is the Time-Sert insert kit. A friend and I went in halves on it and it fixed both our leaking and stripped drain plug holes. Not cheap, but you get 5 inserts for 5 repairs. I see them every once in a while on ebay.