Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

off topic - 97 CD5 project

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default off topic - 97 CD5 project

What's up everybody. How ya'll doing?

As the title says... this is OFF TOPIC ...at least.. sort of...
anyway.... yesterday (october 19 of 2006), I've started a project that I had been planing on doing since last december.
Since I don't plan on turning my car into a "full race" vehicle or even plan on selling any time soon, I'm going to put the time, effort and money to it.
Changing the color of vehicle, inside and out.... and in just a couple hours of work, found my first big problem: door handles.

I started taking pictures of the "how to", so later on... I would post pictures as how you can remove parts from a 5th generation. Back to the subject, I took about 2 hours on one door handle alone (yeah... 2 motherloving hours).... I had the panel out and so.... I was just having a terrible time to remove the door handle without tearing the handle apart, I mean.... the locking system and the door latch, power lock and all that..... are incredibly difficult to be removed, and even though I was trying so hard to get the job done without braking anything, I already broke the plastic piece that is behind the key lock on the handle.

So, question here is: Is the door handle really supposed to be this difficult to come off?
One of the bodymen of my shop, told me he would charge 6 hours to strip a Honda's door. I've spent a little less than 4 hours, and already have something to look for in the junkyard to replace before reinstalling the door handle.

Thanks for any helpful instructions ahead, thanks.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

6 hours of work already in my CD5, right rear door is out, all moldings have removed safely, no clips or moldings (side moldings, fenders, doors ) were broken in case someone wants to buy them.
So far, no one has any idea of how to get the door handle out? ...daaamn... I guess I will have to learn the hard way.... but I will take pics and let everyone know whats up!
Old 10-20-2006, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (gianinline)

uhh..its pretty easy to get the door handle out...its been awhile so i really dont remember..but i believe its like 2 screw/bolts...then make sure to undo that wire that's used to lock and unlock to door
Old 10-21-2006, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

"pretty easy"?.... to undo the door handle from the door itself was easy... now... removing everything else that holds the latch, the door handle and everything in between... ...not so easy.
Today, I will work on the car again.... so.... let's see how things will come out.
Any more inputs are highly appreciated!
Old 10-22-2006, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default PICS....

Well, here's a photo of the door handle (belongs to right rear door).
How can I undo the door handle to take out the rubber gasket?

Here's a picture of the car, with door removed.
In the case you want to do that, disconect the wiring of the door to the pillar, remove the sliding lock in the middle of the door to the pillar, and remove all 4 screws that hold hinges to door and pillar.

Here's a pic of the door. In order to get to the door handle, the best things was having the door removed. I had to take out the window motor, weatherstrip from window channels, the glass window itself, the latch, and theeeeeennn... remove the door handle.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Today, I removed the side skirts and fenders.
If you are thinking about removing your side skirts (5th generation), this is what you need to do in order to reuse the clips after removing them.
Remove all clips under the side skirts, the ones that connect that plastic piece to underneath the car. Now, gently slide it towards the front wheel. Make sure you slide it, and DO NOT PULL it off, cause that's how you break the inserts for the clips on the side skirt or break the clips still attached to the bottom of the car.
Slide it forward, and remove it. When doing that, all clips should still remain attached to the car, so now.... go ahead and twist them as they come off, they need to be turned 90 degrees in order to come off (...will come off easily that way).
Old 12-18-2006, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just got a cd6 front end.
I'm still having problems while removing the door handles.
I also experienced some problems while removing the belt moldings from the doors..... are they supposed to be so difficult to come off?!.. I mean... It was impossible to pull them out without bending the crome finish......
Old 12-18-2006, 07:55 PM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

door handles suck, I took one off last night, I had to pull it through the inside of the door haha, undid the two 10mm screws, and pushed inwards and pulled everything with it

moldings no idea, I was just replacing my door lock actuator
Old 12-18-2006, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pic of the CD6 front end. SIR stanley headlights... bumper lights, fog lights and optional side fog lamps.. (soooo exotic...he hehe)

Radiator support came with a "badge"....

Here's a pic of my friend's cd5... also ...under construction!

Here's a pic of my cd5. Fender's off... so the front doors could come off....

1/4 panel cut, windshield and rear window removed.

I ...luv.... my accord!!!
Old 12-18-2006, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much did you get the CD6 SiR front for? Any idea of any if the CD6 SiR grill would fit in my 94-95 USDM front grill?
Old 12-19-2006, 12:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (EvenStar)

lol i was wondering who bought the front from the guy
Old 12-19-2006, 01:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SuShiBoiiii)

so what exactly are your plans?
Old 12-19-2006, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well.... the guy wanted 1k for the front end... but I was able to take it for 850.... ...may sound pricey... but hey... how many cd6 front ends are out there in the u.s?!
So yeah.... after making sure the guy would not sell the front end to anyone else... lol... i've purchased it....

I plan on making this car look just like I've been wanting..... it has been more than 1 year... of planing.... and getting ready to spend the money towards it.
I made sure I could pay my bills, and I did a lot.... and I mean a lot of extra work at the shop where I work. Turned out that... my hard work made me the assistant manager... and so that paint job is actually a "1800-CAR-PAINTED"... he he he.... not even 1 cent for the costs of paint and stuff.... but.... I did buy some sanding blocks and stuff for myself.
I can't wait to get it done... but on the other hand... I don't mind taking one more month or two... to make sure I get this looking just the way I wanted.
I'm changing the color...shaving the moldings, putting some CF hood, cd6 front end... cd6 rear door garnishes.... 2 tone paint job... and theeeenn... going for some bigger numbers as far as SOHC all motor concerns......
Thanks for passing by!
Old 12-19-2006, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EvenStar)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EvenStar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How much did you get the CD6 SiR front for? Any idea of any if the CD6 SiR grill would fit in my 94-95 USDM front grill?</TD></TR></TABLE>
almost forgot... yeah, it will fit!
Old 12-19-2006, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does the cd6 sir front clip bolt right up? And how do you hook up the extra lights? what are they for
Old 12-19-2006, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why did you cut out the quarter panel? just replacing it or going wide or something?
Old 12-19-2006, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks good, keep those pictures flowing. Im interested to see the final product.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah... the frame of cd6 is the same as the cd5 or cd7.
Well... the "clip" has some optional grille mounted fog lights, they look clear... but will light up amber. And then... the side mounted fog lights were another threat for the accords Sir.....
Well, couple of months after I had bought my accord, I had a little accident at work.... it was my fault.... (I hit the concrete base of a dealership's sign).... but... no one got hurt... except my car and eventually... my wallet. The car was repaired, the job was "allright"... but.... I want my car to look even.... nice and smooth.. soooo.. no body fillers and stuff like that... I decided to buy a new 1/4 panel and make it look perfect again!
Old 12-19-2006, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow nice detailed work..its best if u take more time as long as u get everything the way u want it...more pics soon hopefully
Old 12-19-2006, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pic of my friend's 1st cd5... LX

Too bad I only this pic of when the car was driveable....
...and then.... an idiot... driving a big truck... was speeding at the construction zone... lost control, hit my other friend's CB7 (totaled) and then.... got my friend's CD5 (the one from the picture above)... and totaled that car too....

Well.... 45 hundred dollars worth of damage... and so the insurance kept the car and gave him a check... which my friend wisely used to get another CD5.... this time ...an EX

We swapped the wheels from his old CD5... I've painted them black...

Here's an update on my car:
Left front door, shaved moldings, just trying to get the holes as flat as possible

After having the holes filled with "putty", door was ready to receive 6 coats of yellow primer, to cover imperfections, scratches and even fill out small dings.

Me.... he hehe.... doing tha' magic.....

After 6 coats of yellow primer, when the primer is dried, I've applied a "guide coat" over the door panel, so I can sand it flat with the block and see the damage left over.....

The small "dark" spot on the panel, means that there's a little ding in there..... I will take care of that tomorrow....

Old 12-19-2006, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: off topic - 97 CD5 project (gianinline)

Got that front clip from Prolink huh......lol.....nice to see another wanabe SiR Local!!
Old 12-25-2006, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update of my project.

I started to do some work on the fenders this week, the holes have been covered (where the moldings go).

The previous owner, had put those moldings that go over the edges of the car.... well.... he had them on the doors, and fenders and 1/4 panels as well. When I pulled off the ones from the fenders... the glue was so strong that it just pulled the paint with it... exposing the metal... lol So, the entire edge of the fender, had to be sanded to bare metal in order to look right!

Then, after sanding the fender with 80 grit sandpaper..... I went ahead and applied the yellow primer, to fill the imperfections, chips and such!

And here's the front door that I was working on, last week. Now, I just need to start wet sanding before it gets painted.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This weekend, I went pull out my back seat and clean it a little bit, and decided to take pictures of that, so... you guys could understand how the back seat comes out!

So, here it goes, 5th generation accord BACK SEAT REMOVAL!!!

You need to find the piece that holds the lower part of the back seat to the car's body.

Now, get an extension with a 10mm, and remove the screw (sure is not the easiest bolt to remove in our accords....)

Now, lift the lower part of the back seat towards the front seats. Note, the part of the back seat will still be attached to the car's body!
Once you have the seat at a 90 degree angle, pull it upwards so the seat's "hooks" come off.

Now, you go ahead to the side "lumbar" pieces. Another 10mm screw down there, you need to remove that one as well.

Now, gently press the piece against the body of the car, and slide it upwards. Be sure that both "hooks" (top and bottom) came undone from the back of the car.

Now, the back piece of the back seat should look like this. There are 2 screws (10mm) on each side of the seat.

Now, with the back seat completelly removed.

Congratulations, this is one of the steps to "stage 1" lightweight modification to your accord.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Props to you man. its nice to see someone go into such detail on their car. i have a 95 cd5 that i want to fix up. i need all of the side moldings with the clips how much r u asking for them?
Old 12-29-2006, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (loup05)

any new updates on ur car man?.....really interested in seeing more

Quick Reply: off topic - 97 CD5 project