Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Maybe Distributor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 08:18 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe Distributor?

Alright guys I got my moms old 1991 Accord Ex as a graduation Gift.. And the reason why she gave it to me is because it has this small engine failure. About a year ago it started doing this weird jerking where is IMPOSSIBLE to give it some gas as it does NOT responds, it just chokes until I release the pedal. When she had it, it only used to do that jerking stuff. But 2 months ago approx. of me having it, the RPM gauge started to bounce around. When is cold and idle the gauge keeps going up and down up and down. So when im driving it, it calms a little but the jerking starts. If I give it some hard gas it chokes really hard and the RPM gauge goes all the way down to 0 until i release the gas. So my question is, fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs, timing, got replaced. We are still thinking is the Distributor or the Dizzy. But first before spending any money I'd like to pull out the codes form the CE Light with the ECU. Any ideas? I really would appreciate it.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:37 AM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Re: Maybe Distributor?

If the car is hunting while idling the FITV and IACV may need to be adjusted and cleaned. Check the Accord FAQ at the top of the page for the how to.
Back probe your TPS and MAP sensor. If the output voltage is non linear this will give a false signal to the ECU which will try to compensate. If the thermo sensor is bad or disconnected the ECU will not be able to correctly add fuel/spark.

Pull the spark plugs and check for wear/correct gap.
Install a spark plug into a spark plug wire, ground the plug against the engine to watch for spark and have someone crank the engine over. There should be a nice blueish-white spark.

If you are unsure of the timing and do not have a timing light, a way to check is to remove the plug at the flywheel housing for the timing mark check, with the distributor cap off, bump the crank so it is before #1TDC. Line the base ignition timing mark on your crank up, note if the rotor is pointing to where #1 tower would be. If it is your timing is most likely fine. Overly retarded timing would make the car run sluggish, but smooth, overly advanced timing would cause the engine to rev higher than normal.

Verify that the CEL is not blinking(verify that it works first, should come on when turning the key to II(ON)), and check for codes by jumping the two wire blue connector over by the passenger side kick panel, and turning the key to II(ON).