Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

manual transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manual transmission fluid change

im not exactly sure if this has been posted here before(prolly) but i did look. i wanna change the manual tranny fluid on my 97. where is the drain bolt and where do i fill it from? how many quarts would i need
Old 10-04-2006, 07:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: manual transmission fluid change (rollercosta123)

jack up the car and use 4 jack stands so the car stays level. Take off the passenger side tire (not necessary but easier to see what you're doing). Look at the trans from the passenger side. The drain bolt is a 17mm (I think) and it's near the front of the trans. The fill bolt just has a hole to put a 3/8 drive ratchet into and it's above and to the left of the drain plug. Take out the fill bolt, take out the drain bolt, let it all drain out, put the drain bolt back in, fill the trans until the fluid is level with the fill hole.. Just fill it until fluid comes out using a funnel with a hose attached to it. I just use 10w30. It takes 2 quarts.
The following users liked this post:
Old 10-04-2006, 07:49 PM

Default Re: manual transmission fluid change (Travis-Mc)

i wanna put the oem honda manual ........ but it says it needs 3.5 quarts in the manual. its a 5th gen ex
Old 10-04-2006, 08:02 PM

10w30 isn't exactly what you SHOULD run - even my Accord manual says you should only use it short term if you can't get MTF.

Use Honda MTF or Synchromesh (GM, but Penzzoil sells it too). I personally prefer Synchromesh, but it's expensive.

Roller, like the other guy said, the drain and fill bolts are easy to get to - it's easier than changing your engine oil. I don't even bother with jacks or jackstands, I just park the car on a level surface, crank the wheels to the right, and go to town. You DO need a funnel with a flexible hose to refill it.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:10 PM

Ah.. About the oil thing.. my Accord manual for my 94 says use 10w30. My Haynes manual says on 94-95 use 10w30 or 10w40 and on 96-97 use Honda Genuine Manual Transmission Fluid (MTF). Sorry about that.. Didn't know the fluid was supposed to be different on a 97 vs my 94.. Any one know what's different about them? Is it a completely diff tranny or they just decided to use different oil?
Old 10-04-2006, 08:43 PM

Default Re: (Travis-Mc)

i thought the trannies are the same.....
Old 10-05-2006, 12:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Travis-Mc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ah.. About the oil thing.. my Accord manual for my 94 says use 10w30. My Haynes manual says on 94-95 use 10w30 or 10w40 and on 96-97 use Honda Genuine Manual Transmission Fluid (MTF). Sorry about that.. Didn't know the fluid was supposed to be different on a 97 vs my 94.. Any one know what's different about them? Is it a completely diff tranny or they just decided to use different oil?</TD></TR></TABLE>

haynes manual is not very good, they guess alot of sh_t.

10w30 is temporay thing, i think it's in my manual as well.

The thing is, the MTF is 10w30 with different stuff added into it, couple be Friction modifier, cleaning agent, etc.

GMSyncromesh Friction modified is some of the best mtf you can put into your honda.they runs around 11 dolla per bottle vs. 6 dollar for honda mtf
Old 10-05-2006, 04:39 AM

Default Re: (iam7head)

thanks duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuud!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-09-2006, 11:20 PM

Default Re: (rollercosta123)

can someone that has done this transmission fluid change post some pics so i can have some kinda idea where i would be lookin......... thanks that would help one billion &lt;91 ex 2 door f22a4&gt;
Old 10-10-2006, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive done this plenty of times,

If your Laying under the car from the front, You should be looking up, There will be a Bolt sticking out the right hand side of the transmission , It should have a square Hole, Stick a 3/8 Ratchet head in there and take out the bolt, Let it all drain out

Clean off the end of the plug, it will ahve a magnet on it, then put it back in

Then, In the front Of the transmission there will be another plug, 17mm, take out that bolt and fill it with transmission fluid, I Use 75w140 gear oil in my transmission, + 1 bottle of Lucas Transmission fix

and thats it, Thats Exactly How you do it, dont listen to anyone else

IVe worked in an auto parts store for a year, a oil change place for a year, and a regular shop for 2 years
Old 10-10-2006, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (standbackimapro)

75w-140 gear oil is kinda thick, the bearing clearances, etc. are made for 10w-30 engine oil.

Honda MTF didn't exist until about '96 or '97, so that's why the older owner's manuals say engine oil. Honda MTF is compatible with those older trannys, & has some EP additives. (It smells a little like gear oil but the viscosity curves are more like engine oil.)
Old 10-10-2006, 07:09 PM

Default Re: (JimBlake)

75w 140 WOW that is thick stuff for small tranies like these. I use that stuff on my MACK 12 Speed trans that carries 35 tons.

I do have a question about the oil to use in the trans. I have only about 60,000 on my 92 Coupe EX and I have changed the oil in the trans one time and it was about 30k miles ago. When I did the change I looked at the manual and I believe Chilton's and it called for 10w30. When I went to drain I pulled a plug on the trans that let out RED fluid(ATF/MTF maybe) and I immediately plugged it again since I was not prepared for that. I then found another drain plug which let out the right oil (10w30).

It was about 6 years ago so I don't even remember exactly what plug it was that had the red in it. Unless I was seeing wrong or I was temporarily color blind.

My question is, does this trans have two separate oils? If so what oils can we use to replace it with and where is the refill for the red if it does infact exist?

Thanks

JimBlake, you say MTF came out around 96, do you think that the red stuff that I think I saw is regular ATF. It is still the stock oil as I only changed the one that looked like 10w30 when it drained out.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Travis-Mc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ah.. About the oil thing.. my Accord manual for my 94 says use 10w30. My Haynes manual says on 94-95 use 10w30 or 10w40 and on 96-97 use Honda Genuine Manual Transmission Fluid (MTF). Sorry about that.. Didn't know the fluid was supposed to be different on a 97 vs my 94.. Any one know what's different about them? Is it a completely diff tranny or they just decided to use different oil?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oil changed, with all the other stuff added to it now. Hence the need for MTF. Honda has just revised their MTF to make it more like the GM Syncromesh, with some Friction modifiers, it is some good ****.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (FIDIRO)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FIDIRO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">... When I went to drain I pulled a plug on the trans that let out RED fluid(ATF/MTF maybe) and I immediately plugged it again since I was not prepared for that. I then found another drain plug which let out the right oil (10w30)...</TD></TR></TABLE>
So... does your Accord have an automatic tranny? What else would this be??

There's a coolant drain in the back of the block, sorta near the oil filter. You would have recognized the difference if that was red (DexCool) anti-freeze, right? Was this red stuff actually oil?

If your car has a manual tranny, a previous owner could have put in ATF (not smart). Or maybe it was RedLine MTL? In 1992 Honda MTF didn't exist, so when your car was made it called for 10w-30 engine oil. NOT ATF. Honda MTF isn't red.

Unless you can remember in detail where was the drain plug that gave you that red stuff... I'll have to guess that it was one of these possibilities.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:22 AM

Default Re:

is the manual transmission fluid level suppose to be at the level of the filler bolt?

Thanks a lot
VP
Old 07-03-2007, 10:56 AM

Default Re: Re: (vmp2002)

Just two questions, '99 lx:

1) Will castrol gtx 10w-30 be ok to use in my manual transmisison? I just don't want it to eat away at anything in there... if the difference between the oil and MTF is just the smoothest possible shift that isn't a biggie for me.

2) Since i'll be doin this myself, just wanted to know if there are any dangers from overfilling or underfilling the tranny. You just fill it on a level surface till it pours out from being too full right? Thanks.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:04 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Re: (5spdcoupe)

5spdcoupe
1) Use Honda MTF - not too expensive and meant for that purpose

2) Just fill it up until it starts to leak out the top filler plug - that's the correct level

VMP2002 - yes, you fill it all the way up to the filler bolt hole
Old 07-03-2007, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Re: (TheMuffinMan)

wow,
i just added another quart and now I feel the fluid level with my finger (total of 1.9 quarts). that means that I lost 2 quarts of transmission fluid due to improperly fitted passenger axle + 250 miles(not knowing that mechanic has messed up until my 5th gear started popping out half way through the trip).

thanks a lot TheMuffinman and by the way I use Redline MTF (I seriously recommend this fluid, it does wonders for about $8 per quart)

Modified by vmp2002 at 1:25 PM 7/3/2007
Old 07-03-2007, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (vmp2002)

my 2000 accord 2.3 5 spd took only 2 quarts of MTF to fill it. I use Amsoil Synchromesh.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:36 PM

in my mr2 i used some "gear oil" from pep boys. I think it was castrol.

made the shifting so much smoother, reduced the notchyness.

havent done it to the cb yet, plan to.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: manual transmission fluid change

i will be changing mine tomorrow i got only 2 quarts and its calling for 2.1 quarts i hope it enough
Old 05-27-2011, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lifeofbean
10w30 isn't exactly what you SHOULD run - even my Accord manual says you should only use it short term if you can't get MTF.

Use Honda MTF or Synchromesh (GM, but Penzzoil sells it too). I personally prefer Synchromesh, but it's expensive.

Roller, like the other guy said, the drain and fill bolts are easy to get to - it's easier than changing your engine oil. I don't even bother with jacks or jackstands, I just park the car on a level surface, crank the wheels to the right, and go to town. You DO need a funnel with a flexible hose to refill it.
no dont use synchromesh on a 90 93 accord you think it more expensive so its means better not true i filled mine with mesh and you could hear the gears in the transmission cause mesh is thin not thick so dont waste your money. my transmission is still haveing problems were i tryed regular oil then mesh and both suck either figure out exacly what it uses or use gear oil for manual transmissions
Old 10-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Something I learned the hard way.... Always remove the fill plug before removing the drain plug, because when you are in the middle of nowhere and drain all of your fluid out only to find that the fill plug is stripped, things suck a lot.

I always just use the Honda fluid, as I have learned over the years that the people at Honda know more about their cars than I do.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by duvnick
Something I learned the hard way.... Always remove the fill plug before removing the drain plug, because when you are in the middle of nowhere and drain all of your fluid out only to find that the fill plug is stripped, things suck a lot.

I always just use the Honda fluid, as I have learned over the years that the people at Honda know more about their cars than I do.
^ So effin true.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: (TheMuffinMan)

Originally Posted by vmp2002
wow,how
i just added another quart and now I feel the fluid level with my finger (total of 1.9 quarts). that means that I lost 2 quarts of transmission fluid due to improperly fitted passenger axle + 250 miles(not knowing that mechanic has messed up until my 5th gear started popping out half way through the trip).

thanks a lot TheMuffinman and by the way I use Redline MTF (I seriously recommend this fluid, it does wonders for about $8 per quart)

Modified by vmp2002 at 1:25 PM 7/3/2007
Ok this is off topic but I recentlty had my axles changed and I was driving and fith poped out how did u know that was the problem

Quick Reply: manual transmission fluid change