Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

honda accord problems, need help please.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 09:36 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default honda accord problems, need help please.....

So here is where I will start
I bought a 1994 honda accord dx 2.2 non v-tech car (2 door)
When I looked at it, it seemed to run fine, owner did test drive, after purchase while driving home it had the sputter problem 2 times, thought it was cuz low gas...I had to fix the muffler when I bought it so I did. I also put in a cool air intake I had laying around and I gave it a fresh oil change and that's all I touched..previous owner put aftermarket headers on the car and a test pipe to replace the cat..they also put a block plate in for the egr valve...
When I started to drive this car I was having problems with poor acceleration, black smoke from exhaust pipe and sometimes the car would just not move when you gave it gas then it would pop from the tail pipe, then clear up and go again after a few seconds

I decided to do a full tune up
Plugs
Wires
Cap
Rotor
Fuel filter
Pcv valve
Air filter
Coil
Other things
Cleaned injectors
Cleaned egr ports, unblocked egr valve (that did nothing different)

Thought car was better but still not so I checked and adjusted my valve clearances..that did nothing..and now I just put in a fuel pump and problem is still there.. only cel codee I have is code 43 in the fuel supply system and idk how accurate that code is because I have no front o2 sensor, just one before my test pipe..the compression in my car is fine and after my tune up I don't run rich, my car is a little on the lean side...I have no idea what to do next...my thoughts would lead me to either fpr, my timing is off, or try cleaning my throttle body, or my one o2 is bad, or its because I'm missing my front o2.....HELP would be greatly appreciated....my throttle response sucks..acceleration is poor..and sometimes my car won't go after a stop at a red light, last time it happened I threw it in nuetral and shut car off and restarted and it was fine and went down the road.....both my tps and map sensor appear to have already been changed but I'm not 100% .......also my idle is sometimes pretty low when I'm at a light like 400 rpms..my car has never died though and always starts..........
Old 10-09-2014, 12:49 PM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: honda accord problems, need help please.....

I'd replace the test pipe with a catalytic converter, and the '94 Accord only came with a single O2 sensor. Your code 43 *might* be related to your O2 sensor/test pipe. I'd replace the O2 with a Denso one and get the cat back in there.

It sounds like it was cheaply modified and now is performing poorly.

What plugs did you install and did you check their gaps? How did you clean the injectors? Did you ship them off and verify their flow?

Auto/manual?
Old 10-10-2014, 06:41 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

change ur coolant and replace ur main relay. always check the main relay before the fuel pump

i think code 43 is a O2 sensor u can google it
Old 10-13-2014, 02:27 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
I'd replace the test pipe with a catalytic converter, and the '94 Accord only came with a single O2 sensor. Your code 43 *might* be related to your O2 sensor/test pipe. I'd replace the O2 with a Denso one and get the cat back in there.

It sounds like it was cheaply modified and now is performing poorly.

What plugs did you install and did you check their gaps? How did you clean the injectors? Did you ship them off and verify their flow?

Auto/manual?

I did not ship them off to verify flow....
Okay i will do o2 next..
Its a automatic
Gaps are good and ngk plugs
Old 10-13-2014, 07:53 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by denster
I did not ship them off to verify flow....
Okay i will do o2 next..
Its a automatic
Gaps are good and ngk plugs
So you just soaked the injectors in gas or another solvent overnight to see how they did?

You could also give the FITV/IACV/TB cleaning thread a shot to see if it helps. The car is running, it's just running poorly, so you've got spark, fuel, and air.

Some other simple things to check:

- Slack on the throttle cable
- Timing
- Compression (just to make sure you aren't running on like 3 cyl)

With a test pipe, seeing black soot from the exhaust is going to be somewhat expected.

For your idle, you could try adjusting the idle adjustment screw (brass colored) that's on top of the throttle body, it's meant for fine tuning only so don't just crank it wide open. Have the car running and slowly tweak it.