Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

F23 vs H23 vtec

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F23 vs H23 vtec

I recently have been saving for H23 vtec for 2000 Honda Accord and having thoughts of just getting F23 and maybe turbo it

would that be better to do rather than swapping to H23?

and if I do H23 does anyone know what kind of problems I'd run in to?

sorry for all the dumb threads over the time
just confused what to do and want to drive Honda again with mods

thanks to everyone helping me out
Old 03-18-2012, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: F23 vs H23 vtec

Hey Buddy! I know the feeling of being confused on engines, but we all had to start somewhere. I still dont know much as these honda tuners, but I know a little about the F23. I have a 2000 Honda Accord... I used to have the ULEV(f23a4) version and was still vtec, which was built in California and was build for low Emissions! But anyway It was max at 150MPH which wasnt bad... atleast it wasn't the basic f23a5 who's max power is 135hp! Anyway... My f23a4 went up on me last year! GRRRRRR! I was going to swap for a number of engines and turbo what ever engine I got, but I realized I can't buy a high performance engine like a H22 yet... Budget wise. So did my research and found out theres a number of F23a's and one im particular was a slight faster and only manufactured JDM(F23a1) The original F23 engine The price was good, reliable, direct fit and no cutting necessary Had a few altering to do, but no big issues.

Anyway, When i got my car back! BOOOOOOOY Was I amazed! The car shot off! I was in shock! Car never moved like that ever! I included cold air intake, so that growl when accelerating made the experience even better! Im spinning wheels now!

Next thing is exhaust... Im thinking Magnaflow V6 exhaust on 4cyl Magnaflow catalytic converter.(Magnaflows are known to be quiet, so im hoping it quiets turbo.) Yes... Turbo is next I hear Ebay turbos are good, but you should upgrade gaskets and some other things, but overall is reliable and you have all your piping. Also on the F23 you shouldn't surpass 8psi. 8psi if for stock engines, with no upgraded internals. YOU MUST GET YOUR ECU TUNED FIRST! I haven't done that yet, but that should be after you get exhaust and after turbo. Recommend Hondata s100

In this order...
1. F23a1
2. Cold air intake
3. Aftermarket exhaust- 2.5"/3"... Im going dual exhaust so 2.5' piping will be good.
4. Tune ECU - Prefer Hondata s100... Why? Because you want the best air from front to back... Not tuning can restrict air flow and your fuild intake and pressures will be off and can sometimes make your car sluggish/SLOWER!!!!! High as gas prices are now! You better get that tune!
5. Turbo - Universal turbo kit from ebay... up to you. If you do, most kits dont come with downpipe and manifold is ugly, so might want to change that to lol UGRADE everything at your leisure time!
6. Tune ECU again!!!! MUST! Dont surpass 8psi unless you have internals done.

You should be at about 250+HP, if not 300hp

Just upgrade the kit at your leisure for better reliability and longer lasting.

Feel free to ask me anything abut your f23! Us 6 Generations have to stick together! Older gen be hating!!!
Old 03-18-2012, 09:54 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some of this is right, most of it is not.

if you want to turbo an F23, buying a cold air intake will net you nothing.
a dual exhaust is also a poor choice. I would recommend 3" custom since there isn't a single company that makes a 3" exhaust for an accord.
Hondata s100 doesn't really exist anymore, everyone uses S300 with boost option.
Ebay turbo kit is a horrible idea.
Where you find 8psi was a magical number, I don't know. It has ultimately to do with tuning and the size of the turbo.
Me, I'd find a used Saab, Volvo, Mitsubishi or Nissan turbo and find a matching manifold from a reputable company.

THEN piece together a kit using a modest sized injectors, intercooler piping, smallish sized intercooler and a Walbro fuel pump. this will probably net you about 200hp/200tq which is more whp than almost every stock H22 with bolt ons.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks guys well I already had the f23a1 which went out on me so what I'm probably doing is getting h23 vtec only 500 off which isnt hard to get just got to rely on weather to stay good don't have a garage to swap