Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Exhaust: Stock diameter, stainles steel options?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust: Stock diameter, stainles steel options?

My Accord needs a exhaust repair for the 5th time. I want to go to stainless steel so I do not have to worry about it rotting out again. I am thinking of a cat-back system. The big catch is that I want stock piping size (on a budget). I love the reliability and fuel economy of my Accord. I am in no way, in need of a louder sound or increased performance. I love the Accord the way it is. I want it to be quiet and I want the same fuel economy.

I see that ebay has stainless steel cat-backs for about $110 shipped. If I use my current muffler, how good of a value are these systems? Would these alter my fuel economy or give me increased sound? Are they of low quality where I would need to replace them at some time in the future? Does anyone have any experience with the durability of these pipes?

What are my options for stainless steel stock sizing on a budget?
Old 11-07-2011, 06:31 PM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Exhaust: Stock diameter, stainles steel options?

never seen stainless exhausts for these cars in stock diameters. if you are on a budget buy a cheap ebay system and have your stock non stainless muffler welded to it and sell the new muffler...
Old 11-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by v4lu3s
never seen stainless exhausts for these cars in stock diameters. if you are on a budget buy a cheap ebay system and have your stock non stainless muffler welded to it and sell the new muffler...
That is what I plan to do. The smallest size I see is 2.25", with 2.5" being common. How good are these pipes though? I am going to get my stock non stainless muffler welded to it. Will it increase muffler sound or affect fuel economy? Does back-pressure come into play? I now have a 2MPG fuel economy loss since having the hole in my exhaust pipe.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just spend the money and get a quality exhaust system. It will be a little bit louder.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do not go larger than 2.25.

If you want to stay stock, go to a muffler shop and have them bend you stainless steel close to stock diameter.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by uberEFtuner
Just spend the money and get a quality exhaust system. It will be a little bit louder.
What will be a little louder? The larger diameter piping or the "quality' exhaust system?

Originally Posted by motegicivic
Do not go larger than 2.25.

If you want to stay stock, go to a muffler shop and have them bend you stainless steel close to stock diameter.
Thanks, what is the stock diameter by the way? I havent been able to find it in my quick google search.

Muffler shops can be very pricy for stainless steel systems.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by professorman
What will be a little louder? The larger diameter piping or the "quality' exhaust system?

Thanks, what is the stock diameter by the way? I havent been able to find it in my quick google search.

Muffler shops can be very pricy for stainless steel systems.
I am not sure you can measure it, I would guess about 1.6 to 1.8 diameter or so.

the sizing of the pipe does not affect sound the muffler does, but also you need a resonator (looks like a mini muffler) that is on the mid pipe to keep sound down.

Price around for a mid pipe made in a stock size with resonator, and then use like a stock muffler.

No matter what it will not be cheap, I or get an ebay system and then use a stock muffler.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, it turns out that I need a muffler as well as the exhaust pipes. Really, it is only my resonator that is bad, but might as well I just get the ebay cat-back. So, I am planning on purchasing the cat-back stainless steel system from ebay, but I do not want their 'fart can' exhaust.

My muffler shop will sell me a basic muffler for $119. Do I have any better, 'longer lasing' options for stock replacement?

Maybe one on ebay? Cheapness with decent enough quality is my aim, while being almost stock quietness. Nothing loud, or performance oriented.