Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Engine Oil is flowing into coolant reservoir bottle

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Engine Oil is flowing into coolant reservoir blottle

An intrepid? REALLY? Lol I cant even change the oil on those without printing a $1500-$2000 estimate. God forbid they need an inspection sticker.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi all, I'm a new member to this site. I have a 99 2.3L F23 motor. 114,000miles with the same oil in radiator problem. I changed head gasket and had head checked; it was fine. Same problem after head gasket replacement too. I did leak down test and all cylinders were less than 20% loss so they're ok at TDC which leads me to believe the crack is somewhere at the bottom of a cylinder. Has anyone actually found or seen an internal crack in one of these blocks? If so, where was it exactly?
Old 01-04-2011, 07:12 AM
Trial User

Same story here. '99 Accord LX 4 cylinder, 165,000 miles. Noticed I had oil in the coolant reservoir and the oil levels kept dropping. I took it to a shop and where he thought it could be the HG but after research found out the Honda block problems.

Would a flush of the system and some Bar's leak seal be enough for a temporary fix? Or am I going to need to shell out $2-3k for a used engine?
Old 01-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nope, the BARS leak wont work because the oil is pushing into the water jacket. Oil pressure is higher than water pressure. If you had water in the oil, the flow would be reversed and maybe the BARS would fix it since the BARS would flow into the leak. It wont flow into the leak that we have because outflowing oil pressure is keeping the BARS from entering the crack.

Do you get bubbles in your rad while running engine? If so, pull one spark plug wire and turn on engine and see if bubbles stop. Do this for each cylinder. When the bubbles stop, you'll know which cylinder has the crack. Mine is #4. The ignition of the fuel is causing some gases and oil out a small crack somewhere in the cylinder below top dead center. By the way, car will run like crap while your doing this and you're going to activate the check engine light on your dashboard but it will clear after 5 or 6 starts after you put all the plugs wires back on.
If you havent already; it's worth doing a leak down test before you buy an engine. I've found used engines in the $750-$1000 range if you're a do it your self-er.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:02 AM
Trial User

Thanks, I'll try that to figure out which cylinder is suspect.

I can do some DIY maintenance but its pretty much limited to fluid, filter, and plug changes, not the whole engine.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you have a compressor you can perform the leak down test. The test kits are avail at harbor freight tools if you have one in your area. Plenty of instructional vids on you-tube to guide you thru it. A successful leak down test will rule out bad headgaskets among other things but will unfortunately point to a crack in the block if there are no other sources of pressure loss. So in a way, pray that the leak down test finds a bad headgasket rather than a cracked engine.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

An update on mine for all you other 6th gen's out there having the same problem. I found a used motor and installed it. It's good so far. I'll be tearing down the old block to find exact location of internal crack. I'll post a pic of what I find. Of all the sites I've researched on this issue, nobody has shown an exact location/pic of these mysterious internal cracks.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check this thread out https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/1998-honda-accord-overheating-2849621/ might give some insight.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:05 PM
Trial User

I have a 2002 Honda Accord SE with 134,000 miles on it getting oil in the radiator, runs fine but oil keeps getting in the radiator. I flushed it added new coolant a couple months ago, raised the hood today the hoses look like there sweating but its oil sweat...
Old 05-23-2011, 03:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, after two heads, about 80 hours of work, I've unfortunately come to the same conclusion. A structural casting problem in the block on a 1999 F23A1 engine.

I don't expect warranty consideration on an engine with 150K on it, but if Honda was a little more open about this issue, I could have saved a bunch of money and just installed a complete used engine.

The effect on Honda is lost sales. We were going to get my wife a new CRV, but bought a VW Tiguan instead.

If you have a 1999-2000 accord with high mileage, runs well, but has oil in the radiator, this is likely your problem.

Other than this (and grounding on the rear speakers) this has been a very good car. Most car manufacturers, Honda for sure, don't seem to give a crap about consumer loyalty any more.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ponchojuan

The effect on Honda is lost sales. We were going to get my wife a new CRV, but bought a VW Tiguan instead.

Granted it sucks that the motor failed, but if you think Honda service and reliability is subpar you just bought the wrong car.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My message didn't question honda service or reliablity. It questioned honesty and interest in customer loyalty, in terms of Honda and the over all automotive industry.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well after reading all the replies here I had to register to share my GOOD experience.

I had the exact same problem as everyone here; Engine oil in coolant.

And guess what, IT WAS THE PROBLEM! No more oil in my coolant for me!

When changing your head gasket, FOLLOW THESE TORQUING SEQUENCES!

Torque force:
- Tight all the bolts to 14 pounds
- Tight all the bolts to 36 pounds
- Tight all the bolts to 49 pounds

Here is my custom torquing sequence:

Torque all bolts from 1 to 10 to 14 pounds, then 36 pounds, then 49 pounds.

To those of you that installed a new gasket and the oil stopped going in the coolant but started again, you probably did it wrong!

If it worked with my custom torquing method, then follow my method

It's been 2 months already and it didn't use a drop of oil.

DR - Self Educated Car Maniac
Old 12-02-2013, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wish I had joined this forum sooner. My son has a 98 Civic EX which developed oil in the coolant and the Dealer told him he needed a headgasket. Being somewhat handy, (and retired), I volunteered to do it for him. Since I had the head off, I reseated the valves, replaced belts, hoses, plugs, etc as well as the gaskets. Just got it back together and it runs like a champ, except I'm flushing the system with an "Oh ****" feeling after reading this thread. At this point, with a rough body, and 200K on the car I think I have an expensive lesson in doing a Honda head job, and a junk car on my hands. Any thoughts?
Old 05-24-2014, 01:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine Oil is flowing into coolant reservoir bottle

I have a 93 civic d16z6 that is doing the same thing...I have drove it for over a year like this...what a crapshoot...Any suggestions on a replacement block? Aftermarket?
Old 05-30-2014, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by schererpr
Wish I had joined this forum sooner. My son has a 98 Civic EX which developed oil in the coolant and the Dealer told him he needed a headgasket. Being somewhat handy, (and retired), I volunteered to do it for him. Since I had the head off, I reseated the valves, replaced belts, hoses, plugs, etc as well as the gaskets. Just got it back together and it runs like a champ, except I'm flushing the system with an "Oh ****" feeling after reading this thread. At this point, with a rough body, and 200K on the car I think I have an expensive lesson in doing a Honda head job, and a junk car on my hands. Any thoughts?

My story exactly! Replaced the engine with a rebuilt found on Craig's list for $900, then compounded my "investment" with brakes, tie rod ends, ball joints. So now my son has a 200,000 miles car with mostly new stuff, and I have a spare reconditioned head, and whatever is still good in the old block. Wonder how long the tranny will hold out.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Does this happen with the d16z6 vtec motors as well cuz mine is doing the same thing....oil in coolant bottle but no water in the oil? I been driving it for well over a year like this and could never figure out the problem
Old 02-16-2015, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to revive this old thread because I have this same problem. Oil in the coolant. The "Porous Leak" sounds exactly like what I have going on. I have a 1998 Civic LX.

Was this an official Honda recall? I can't seem to find the recall notice anywhere online. Help! Just bought this damn car!
Old 06-09-2016, 01:38 PM
Trial User

usually how much does it cost to swap the engine (parts and labor)?
Old 03-02-2017, 10:15 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Engine Oil is flowing into coolant reservoir blottle (SOHCMAN)

Originally Posted by 99Accord1
Hoses are in good shape. I replaced them all last year. When I noticed the problem this time the main hose that connecto the radiator and the engine was sucked in and had no coolant in it. When I disconnected it from the engine it was full of engine oil.

I'm going back to the dealer to pick up the car and talk to the techs face to face.

JA
ı had the same in mu honda crv ......thats means that your engine is overheated ...change the head gasket immediatley otherwise your engine could be
harmed.As per no coolant in the upper hose ..check the thermostat that can be damaged so blocking coolant circulation...both gasket and thermostat must be changed as precau