Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Do I need an installation kit to replace my stock radio?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need an installation kit to replace my stock radio?

I was servicing my car, and had to disconnect the battery. When I connected it, the stock radio asked me for a code. So I did the whole taking off the dash thing to get the serial from the stock radio. Then I called a dealer and got the code.

After I entered the code, it beeped for about 1 second, and then stopped. It still said CODE. The dealer told me that it should have kicked on the radio. And Honda said if it were the wrong code, then it would say error.

I have tried to enter the code several times (including disconnecting the battery again to clear the memory).

So, I have come to the conclusion that I need to replace the stereo. I want to replace it with a Sony CDXGT210. Do I need to get a wiring harness, installation kit, and/or anything else, or can I just buy the radio and install it with what comes in the box?

Please advise.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:51 PM

Default Re: Do I need an installation kit to replace my stock radio? (LABachlr)

First you must state your vehicle. No one knows what car you are talking about other than its an Accord since you are posting it in the accord section. Two what year? If 03+ You need an In dash Stereo Kit that sells for 78$ or more depends where you get them. It replaces the whole AC unit and stereo with a AC unit and an entrance for a head unit. For more information, check this.

This one is a stereo relocator: Without AC Unit
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stereo-Ins...wItem

With AC Unit I cant find at the moment.

But if this isnt what you are looking for, restate your question and Ill try to help you as best as I can.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:53 PM

Another thing you can do if you dont want to replace your head unit, call the dealer and ask them why your radio isnt working. They probably have another code to reset everything and get it activated again.

Call them. It doesnt hurt.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:32 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you type it wrong it'll say Code I believe 3 more times and then lock up until you unhook it again.

As to aftermarket you'd need the following (this is what I did for my cd6)

- Circuit City Conversion Harness (premade )
- Best Buy Honda Install Kit
- Circuit City Panasonic cable (my original was damaged)

Total was like 20 for the cables and 20 for the kit, which I all used gift cards on. From there on it's easy as pie
Old 01-31-2007, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year and trimline is your Accord?

And the easiest way to tell what you need is to go to http://www.crutchfield.com and add the stereo to your cart. It'll prompt you to enter your car's information. Then it'll tell you whether or not you need a kit or not.

By the way, take a look at the Alpines. They aren't that much more price-wise.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:05 AM

Default Re: Do I need an installation kit to replace my stock radio? (Heat)

Thanks for the info. My car is a 1995 Accord EX 4 door 2.2 VTEC.

I called both the dealer and Honda, and they both said there was only one code. Is it possible that the serial is different on the sticker on the back of stereo than the one that is inscribed into the top of the radio itself? I'm going to pull it out within the next couple of days to confirm.

The dealer said that it is supposed to beep for 1 second, and then kick in the stereo. If it doesn't, then they said, "Your radio may be going south." It was working great right before I disconnected the battery.

I did get some instructions from http://www.installdr.com, and it does recommend a wiring harness and an installation kit.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i didn't even use a kit. i bought one, and i decided it didn't fit how i liked, so i just used the old DIN on the bottom. If you go to walmart, you can get a plug that all you do is connect the same color wires on both plugs. its very easy
Old 02-01-2007, 08:32 AM

well look in your manul on the inside of the front cover there should be information with code or there should be a card the size of an ID card, it should say your radio code if not and you dont even have the code to the radio then i guess what you need is

~deck
~wire harness kit
~dash installation kit

that it. connect the deck wire to the wire harness, put the installation kit in, slide your deck in, and connect the plug into the stock car plug then the rest you should know what to do.