Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Differential Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential Noise

Here's my problem. About 1 year ago, I replaced both axles becasue the boots were all torn. Easy job. I started noticing that when accelerating slowly when going slow, there was a banging noise from under the car ONLY when the wheels were turned sharply. Well, found out where its coming from but why?

Took wheels off, jacked car up (not in that order) and lowered front onto jack stands under the control arms. Started car and put in gear and turned wheel. The left wheel turns but the right wheel does not. The noise is coming from the right side being transmitted out of the tranmission where the right axle goes in. If, while the noise is there, I manualy turn the right wheel forward with my hand, the noise is reduced. It sounds like the end of the axle is trying to catch on a gear in the transmission.

First of all, with both wheels off the ground, should both turn at the same time when in gear? Secondly, any ideas what is happening. Axle appears to be in all the way, but if it was not quite in all the way, would this be a symptom? With wheels straight head, no noise.

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

19994 Honda Acord LX 5 speed 140,000 miles.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:39 PM
In a Junkyard near you.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

19994 Accord? Nice. Did it come with a time machine.
If the axle wasn't seated propperly in the transmission then the car wouldn't move at all, but it does sound like the axle may be seperating somewhat from the transmission in turns. If your car is in neutral with the wheels off of the ground only one wheel will spin, with it in gear the opposite wheel will turn the other direction.
Have you changed your manual transmission fluid lately?
Old 04-12-2006, 05:09 AM

Default Re: (MooGoCow3)

Thanks for the response. Yes I changed the tranny fluid a few months ago with no change in behavior. I had a hard time getting the passenger side shaft in the tranny. What if it is not in all the way? Like maybe 1/4 inch or so. would that cause it to move away a little on turns and slip? I have no leakage of fluid.

I am going to try banging the axle in further today. I remmeber the metal ring made it hard to get in.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (1994HondaAccord)

I ran into something kinda like this a few weeks ago while replacing my axle. After i'd get it in and thought it was in secure, I took it for a test drive and the thing would just stop working. The engine was still running but the wheels wern't turning anymore and I couldn't put it in part or anything. Long story short I had to have it towed to a shop and 250 bucks later the guy told me that Pepboys had sold me one that that was just a hair to short (this was the second one after I took back). He got the honda spec book out and showed me what it was supposed to be and then got the tape measure out and showed me what mine was. The lock ring wasn't connecting, so it was just spinning out of the tranny as I was driving it (thank god for empty church parking lots). I don't know how yours is set up, but it might be something to think about...
Old 04-12-2006, 07:28 AM

Default Re: (rgoins)

Great info. If me trying to beat in in a little more doesn't work, I'll remove it and check out the length.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:11 PM

Default Re: (1994HondaAccord)

New half axle does the same thing. It is like the differential is slipping on the right side when wheel is turned (which is probably when the LSD start working to take up difference in wheel rotation. It make a banging sound as if the gears are skipping.