Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Acts like Bad Gas problem, but--

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acts like Bad Gas problem, but--

'89 Honda Accord H.B LXi, 45K mies, always ran fine until recently, when suddenly engine stalled, had trouble starting it, would run fine for a few minutes, then very rough, sometimes stalling, but never has much power. Assumed bad gas pump, replaced w/o effect, replaced gas filter, w/o effect. Had tank thoroughly drained, refilled, car runs better, but still is hard to start when hot. It often starts if I pull the connector on the EAVC, then reconnect after the engine is running. Still not happy with running of engine when hot. Not safe to drive on a busy road.

Have checked every input to and output from ECU, All inputs look good, Output to Ignition Advance Control Solenoid never comes on, Output to EACV never goes completely off as manual says it should. These are only faults I've found, after running all the tests recommended by the '89 Honda Shop manual.

Considering replacing ECU, but Honda wants $660 for new one! Does anyone know of a better price, or a source for rebuilt ECUs anywhere?

I can replace output transistor for the EACV, which appears to be bad, but I can't find a reason why the Timing Advance output doesn't work. Does anyone have schematics for this ECU, H/P# 37820-PJ0-A03?

Any other suggestions?
Old 10-29-2004, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Acts like Bad Gas problem, but-- (jimeby)

Are you sure your ignition is good?

If yes, I would suspect possible bad main fuel relay. This is a common problem on later Honda's and may apply to yours also.

Low fuel pressure? Check fuel pressure and fuel pressure regulator.

My brother's 86 Honda (carbuerator) once had similar symptoms, and fault was finally determined to be rust particles in the tank blocking the pickup sock on the fuel pump. If you mesure fuel pressure, this would be indicated by low fuel pressure.

good luck
Old 12-04-2004, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Acts like Bad Gas problem, but-- (jimeby)

hey i have a accord (89) w/ the same ecu...heres what happened to mine like an idiot i hooked a hot wire to the map sensor cause i thought it was the heater fan motor trying to get the heater to work.......while the car was running.......anyway the car died and from that time on it would start real rough and would let the car rev for a couple min ,then sec then would die getting harder to start each time..well after looking at everything i discovered that the car was just dumping fuel into the cylinders.....when actually i thought it wasnt getting fuel...any way figuring it had to be something electrical i started replacing everything ,....map sensor ,fuel pump relay,main relay,everything i could think of...and still it acts the exact thing....the only thing i havnt changed ...is the ecu....(cause of cost)but im telling you that that has to be it it just has to be the ecu...well good luck finding a cheap ecu...i got my hands on an 88 accord ecu...w/ the number 37820-pjo-668....for nothing im going to try that one out to see if it works