Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

98 Accord Floods After Fillup With Gas

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Accord Floods After Fillup With Gas

My 98 Accord 4 cylinder will not start after filling up with gas. I have to wait 5-15 minutes before the car will start. My first attempted fix was to resolder the joints in the fuel pump relay, as that is a common problem reported on the internet. When it happened again I replaced the fuel pump relay.

So when it happened again on the next gas fillup and after the new relay, I tried starting the car by pressing down the gas pedal. The car started but ran rough for about 20 seconds before it cleared up. So it appears the intake was flooded with gas.

I then drove back home and tried to replicate the failure: removed gas cap, waited about a minute (to simulate the fillup time), then started the car. The car restarted immediately.

So, for some reason the car wants to flood after filling with gas and no other times. I do not overfill as I stop filling as soon as the pump clicks off.

Has anyone had this problem and found a fix?

Thanks.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:54 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 98 Accord Floods After Fillup With Gas

First off you do not start a car by the car by pressing down the gas pedal. Its done by turning the key. When ANYONE starts a fuel injected engine you DO NOT touch the accelerator. It is computer controlled. Thus the computer applies the proper amount of air and fuel without help from the user. All you do is turn the key. If you have problems you need to look into the codes set.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HonBeer
First off you do not start a car by the car by pressing down the gas pedal. Its done by turning the key. When ANYONE starts a fuel injected engine you DO NOT touch the accelerator. It is computer controlled. Thus the computer applies the proper amount of air and fuel without help from the user. All you do is turn the key. If you have problems you need to look into the codes set.
I can't believe how many people actually believe their foot is controlling the gas going in on a FI car. You are controlling how far open the throttle is. The computer adds the perfect amount of gas on start up and the only reason it revs up when you start it with the gas floored is because after it starts the computer now senses the throttle is wide open and then adds more gas.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:42 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Um incorrect. When you push the gas peddle to the floor on a fuel injected car you are telling the computer the engine is flooded. Thus is will not add fuel. This is how it clears the fuel from the cylinders. Will someone else please chime in and tell this moron about MPFI and how it works.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys, please be kind.

The only reason I tried starting with the pedal down is because that was suggested in a Honda Technical Service Bulletin. Apparently the FI system can flood the engine in cold start/restart cases or if there is a coolant sensor failure. So for a flooded engine, opening the throttle at start clears the excess fuel out just we had to do on carburetor engines.

I did a check of the coolant sensor and it looks like it has the proper resistance when warmed up (as per my Haynes manual). I may try replacing the coolant sensor anyway if I can't find anything else. I had a failed coolant sensor on my Volvo 960 and it caused a flooding condition.

Or something else strange is happening that is flooding the engine only when the vehicle is filled with gas.

Perhaps I have a leaking injector, but why only when I do a fillup?

Still stumped.

Related TSBs:
ENGINE WON'T START AFTER SHORT TRIPS
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Reference Number(s): HSN 0198-18, Date of Issue: January 1998
HONDA: All Models
An engine can be difficult to start after it's cold started, run for less than 60 seconds, and then stopped. To start an engine under these conditions, push the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and hold it there while operating the starter (but don't crank the engine for more than 10 seconds). If the engine still won't start, wait 15 seconds (to let the starter cool off) then try again.

WRONG ECT VOLTAGE MAY CAUSE HOT NO-START
Model(s): Honda, All Models With PGM-FI
Bulletin No.: HSN 0999-12
Date: September, 1999
On all models with PGM-FI, the wrong ECT (engine coolant temperature) sensor voltage may cause an intermittent hot no-start without the MIL coming on. To confirm the problem when the engine won't start check ECT sensor voltage; if it's more than 1 V, replace the sensor. At normal coolant temperature, the ECT sensor voltage should be between 0.5 and 0.7 V. If the ECT sensor sends a cold engine signal (more than 1 volt) to the ECM/PCM at normal coolant temperature, the air/fuel mixture will be too rich, and the engine may not start.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:39 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've always wondered how exactly it clears the fuel, anyone know?
Old 11-16-2010, 03:25 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I just explained how it clears a flooded engine holmesnmanny. When you floor the throttle your telling the computer that the engine is flooded. The computer in turn will not put fuel into the engine. If you have throttle plate @ any angle but wide open it will inject fuel. This is how you clear ALL fuel injected engines. I am putting this into layman's terms for you guys that do not have ASE grad credentials.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:33 PM
Trial User

I just explained how it clears a flooded engine holmesnmanny. When you floor the throttle your telling the computer that the engine is flooded. The computer in turn will not put fuel into the engine. If you have throttle plate @ any angle but wide open it will inject fuel. This is how you clear ALL fuel injected engines. I am putting this into layman's terms for you guys that do not have ASE grad credentials.
thank you, spoken like a true professional
Old 11-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

spoken like a true *******
Old 11-17-2010, 10:39 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First of all, don't assume that everyone replying to you is being an *******.

I was being very straightforward, you should know I don't disrespect people on this place unless they do it to me first.

Secondly, I asked "specifically" how it happens. You appear to say that it simply doesn't put any fuel in. I take that to mean that it simply ignites the fuel already in the cylinder given that you didn't specifically elaborate any further.

I was thinking maybe it somehow gets rid of the fuel in the cylinder somehow which would be the first way to interpret "clearing the fuel".

Thanks.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:36 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Um no. Spoken like a true professional. Which I am, most likely longer than you have been out of diapers. And yes I am an *******. How could you tell that? Everyone is gifted. Some open the package sooner.