Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 accord overheating

Hello all, new to this forum.
I have a 95 Honda Accord EX wagon.... 320000 miles
this has been a great car.
recently the car started overheating and I found the fan kept blowing the fuse. replaced the fuse and all seemed ok until.... after changing the fan I had the car idling for an hr no overheat then went for a ride again all is well. 2 days later use the car again and no problems. following day another employee takes the car and it overheats and shuts down on the highway. check the oil and no oil but i was told by my boss he happened to check the oil the day before and it was full (not sure where it went but nothing on the dipstick). It got hot enough to melt the top of the radiator. I changed the thermostat and idled fine again and not overheating with radiator cap off, put cap on and then started pushing antifreeze past radiator cap so I changed the radiator. (only reason i had waited was to see if the car would even run after the highway incident) This weekend I changed the radiator and ran the car heat on and off at idle without rad cap until thermostat opened to burp air.. seemed to take a long time to heat up but maybe its me. closed up the system and went for a ride about 2 miles with out a problem then i went for a longer ride about 3-4 miles it started to get hot so i pulled over and checked for a leak and the fan. (fan was not on) sat at idle with heat on and cooled down some so i headed back home. as i got home we were just about in the red on temp gauge, I shut the car off and the fan was running but antifreeze was seeping out of the overflow bottle. It seems like there is a pressure build up. using my IR temp gun both hoses were about the same temp 180+/- indicating the t-stat was open but the block was 212 +/-???
Car would not start again. yesterday morning i was able to get the car to start after some cranking and holding the gas pedal. I saw a bit of white smoke initially but it seemed to go away, i didn't not run it long enough to check temperature.
the radiator had previously been replaced with all the hoses and water pump/timing belt within the last 50-75000 miles.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks
Old 07-21-2014, 01:11 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Re: 95 accord overheating

There is an air bleed nipple on the backside of the thermostat housing. If you do not purge the air out the engine will overheat. If the engine has been overheated, the head may have been warped. An indication of this is the white(most likely steam) exhaust.

Bleed the cooling system, let the engine warm up and watch the temp gauge, exhaust, and coolant level. If you begin to lose coolant without any visible leaks, then the head gasket is probably leaking.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:39 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

friends dont let friends drive their cars; friends let friends ride shotgun

sorry to hear about ur troubles. sounds like sabotage. no oil would mean someone took the oil out. blown head gasket would mean extra oil from the coolant mixing in. inconsistent. 50-75k is about the time to change TB/WP dont know the brand but OEM has been known to last longer, but that is what Honda and all other auto mfgs. suggest
Old 07-22-2014, 03:56 AM
Trial User

I had a similar problem with my cooling system. Once I bled the system and got all the air out I did not have any problems. Here is a link to a video that shows how to bleed the system.

Hopefully you don't have a warped head from overheating.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

After making sure the air was bled from the system, I noticed some anti freeze dripping down the front of the block behind the exhaust manifold... I pulled the plugs and found some evidence of antifreeze on 2 of them.... well after blowing compressed air into the cylinders I have confirmed the Head gasket and or head are shot...