Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

94 Accord EX - Distributor replaced and now getting CEL code 9

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Accord EX - Distributor replaced and now getting CEL code 9

I recently replaced the original distributor on my 94 Accord Ex because the internal oil seal was leaking and I figured it was easier to replace the whole unit rather than to try and disassemble it and replace the seal. I replaced it with a re-manufactured OEM unit.

However, after the car started up and warmed up, the CEL came on. The code is 9 - CYP Cylinder Position Sensor. If the car is cold, the CEL doesn't come on until the car warms up.
The engine seems to run fine despite the CEL being on. I dont really notice any rough idling or issues when driving.

When the new distributor was put on, I thought the housing was lined up very close to the position of the original distributor. I have since tried to adjust the position of the distributor a bit a few times and to see if that made any difference when starting the car back up, but the CEL keeps coming on. I don't have a timing light yet to be able to accurately check the timing myself.

The questions I have are:
1. Can the code 9 can be thrown if the timing is off after replacing a distributor?
2. Or does that code most likely mean that there is a problem with the replacement distributor?
3. If I check the resistance of the CYP sensor (at the plug) and find its withing spec and no continuity to ground, what would be the next best thing to do to figure out whats going on?

Thanks for any advice / experience.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:32 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 94 Accord EX - Distributor replaced and now getting CEL code 9

The supposed remanned distribrutor is bad out of the box. Take it back. Yes, you will need to adjust the ignition timing, but this will not affect whether it will throw a cel 9 or not.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh thanks.
I checked the resistance of the CYP sensor on the new distributor and its within spec (~900 ohm). No continuity at the terminals to ground either.
Since that all seems ok, any idea what would be bad with it?
Old 05-08-2015, 12:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

9 P1381 Cylinder Position Sensor Intermittent Interruption
9 P1382 Cylinder Position Sensor No Signal

9 CYP Sensor (Cylinder) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

Old 05-08-2015, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Since its OBD I, all I get is code 9 - which doesn't provide much detail.

Does it make sense that if the resistance for the CYP sensor reads within spec that it still could be bad?
I guess there could be something up with the rotor shaft or sensor pickup that isn't allowing it get the signal correctly to begin with...
Old 05-10-2015, 11:27 PM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

Why didn't you just order the internal seal and replace it?, instead of buying a new one that's defective. I'm certain they won't take it back either, and I wouldn't even tamper with it because you'll pull your hair out trying to solve the issue.

I had this issue with a pep boys distributor, the car ran fine except I kept getting the code 9. I tried to bring it back and they told me "it's not the distributor", I gave up trying to convince them.

TBH, OEM is the route to take when buying a honda distributor, because as you can see aftermarkets aren't to spec. To prove my point, I had another aftermarket dizzy and the car ran like ****, for instance no power, misfire but no codes .

My advice: since the cars runs fine, **** the CEL
Old 05-11-2015, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought about ordering the seal and trying to replace it, but the threads explaining the process warned that it was easy to damage the distributor components. And Pepboys, actually, had a good online sale so I figured I'd give that a shot. I figured a re-manufactured OEM Hitachi part was more likely to have fewer issues than a NEW aftermarket part (for the reasons you mentioned), so that's what I got.
After this, I don't know about that anymore. I guess most everything in car parts is a crapshoot unless you buy direct from Honda.

However, I had a completely different experience with Pepboys when I called about the cylinder sensor code. As soon as I told them it was a code from the sensor in the distributor, they said just to bring it in and they'd swap it out. No issues. I'd think it would be tough for them to debate that the CEL wasn't related to the distributor for that particular code. Plus, they have a solid warranty on their parts, so its surprising they wouldn't take yours back.

Anyway, I put in the (second) remanned distributor; and this time, the CEL did not come on after the engine warmed up. I've only driven it about 20 mins since putting the second one in, but nothing has come on yet. Previously, the light came on as soon as the engine was warm.

I'll re-post if this new part starts giving me issues though. Just in case - I'm going to keep the core for a while before returning it for the $60 credit. If something goes bad with this second distributor, I may just try to replace the seal on the original part.

Also, how important is it to have the timing checked and adjusted at this point? Pretty much a necessity or just a good idea?
Should i get a light and do it myself (seems somewhat straight forward), or should I take it to a shop?