Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

91 accord ex, cb7: timing belt change, slight wire tuck, complete AC & PS removal. no 56k!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 91 accord ex, cb7: timing belt change, slight wire tuck, complete AC & PS removal. no 56k!!

this is my little brothers car, he wants to fix it up.... so here goes...
the timing belt got shredded.... so we bring it in the shop.

on the list:
fix timing belt + some.
slight wire tuck.
ac & ps removal.
and clean that bitch up!!!!

so heres how it started:

a few valves got touched...

so we took it to a machine shop for a good once over.... updates on this one coming.

so then we were left with this:

put some paper towels in the cylinders and clear tape over the pistons to keep out water, tried to wash out the bay a little...

started removing passenger side harness to tuck.

started on drivers side:

drivers side near finished, headlight harness ran, windshield wiper harness tucked, resistor box relocated.
next came PS removal.... oh ya, and in all those pix above i removed some extra AC wires/relays that hadnt been removed yet...
my bro had pulled the major ac components out prior to all this.. but there was still some stuff lingering around....

while we had the blower motor and AC box out.. decided to remove the evaporator (think thats what its called)

dam nasty!!!!!!

the evaporator's black box had a few holes we decided to plug, luckily i have a bunch of extra caps and plugs and random **** from other cars laying around...

grommet that AC lines came through firewall with. plugged it, and put it back: (also plugged the other holes that were left in the firewall, pix later)

PS removal:
bunch of nasty lines:

torn boot

rack and pinion:

disconnected lines going in to the valve body (think thats what its called..)

and BAM!!! just like that, PS lines gone, PS fluid everywhere!!!! YAY!!!!

BAM!!!!! RACK OUT!!!!!

parts we got in today:
timing belt, water pump, balancer belt, retainer thingy...
waiting on: tensioners and springs, 2 motor mounts(2busted), motor mount inserts, slim fan.

so far thats it.. so, until tomorrow.

Modified by hondaZvic at 9:51 PM 10/10/2007
Old 10-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 91 accord ex, cb7: timing belt change, slight wire tuck, complete AC & PS removal. no 56k!! (

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaZvic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so we took it to a machine shop for a good once over.... updates on this one coming.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Any plans for the head? Or just the bare essentials? Either way good stuff keep us updated.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 91 accord ex, cb7: timing belt change, slight wire tuck, complete AC & PS removal. no 56k!! (

Wire tuck is going good.
Keep us posted.........
Old 10-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SleepstR88 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Any plans for the head? Or just the bare essentials? Either way good stuff keep us updated.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
just the essentials for now. our mom is paying for the parts that we "NEED" but anything else that my bro wants, he has to pay for himself... such as the slim fan, and the motor mount inserts. wanted to get some billet ones.. but cant seem to find any for the accord... oh well...

mods on the accord are:
lowered a tiny bit, intake, cheap header, cheap exhaust, 2.5" piping... that'll probably be it for now...

but a h22-t is in his dreams.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_CD7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wire tuck is going good.
Keep us posted......... </TD></TR></TABLE>
thanks man, for sure.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok.. so today we worked on the rack and pinion...
followed this thread HERE
pretty much done... put the grommet in upside down that goes between the subframe and the firewall..
so tomorrow gonna drop it down a little and fix that, then we're done with the steering...

then i think we'll start putting the new water pump and tensioners in.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i like this accord forum... but dang it moves slow.. ahhahaha

anyways.. UPDATES:

so we got the head back:

COMPLETED THE MANUAL RACK CONVERSION:
a "how-to" can be found HERE
basically, took out rack, opened it up, took everything out of the valve body, greased up the rack and pinion, not the valve body. put it all back together... jb welded the 4 lines on the valve body shut... re-installed it.

(((took alot of pix of this.... if u need or would like to see them, then just ask... otherwise there are to many to post, and most of them can be viewed in the link posted above. )))

got some more parts in:

INSTALLED THEM:
balance shaft retainer: (turns out we didnt have one on.. )

new water pump:

tensioners:

OLD PARTS:

decided to clean up/paint IM:

did the same to the VC:

head & IM on:

hit the fuel rail with a wire wheel and put the VC on for picture purposes..

heres what we used for the IM and VC:

happened to notice the timing belt lower cover was cut up... seems as though it was loose, got tore up by the crank pulley, which then could have led to the timing belt getting shredded the way it did... **maybe** anyways, gonna try and pick up a new one tomorrow...

and for kicks.. the beast rolls gutted!!!!

Old 10-13-2007, 12:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good work there guys
Old 10-13-2007, 07:22 AM

esp makes a motor mount kit. http://www.explicitspeedperformance.net/MMK.html
innovative mounts is developing one right now too.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ap716)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ap716 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">esp makes a motor mount kit. http://www.explicitspeedperformance.net/MMK.html
innovative mounts is developing one right now too. </TD></TR></TABLE>
thanks, yeah i saw that one from ESP, but they only have the steel ones.. we really wanted some billet ones though.... thats good to hear about innovative making some. we'll probably get them when they come out.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JKGONZALEZ3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> good work there guys</TD></TR></TABLE>
thanks man
Old 10-13-2007, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hondaZvic)

whoa, no wonder why u have been so busy lol... crazy ***
Old 10-13-2007, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (integrax97)

ya... ahhaha
Old 10-13-2007, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good work and progress
Old 10-13-2007, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn foo, where do u find the time for all this lol
Old 10-14-2007, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cjsls &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn foo, where do u find the time for all this lol </TD></TR></TABLE>

hehehe, i think u know.. its called lack of a job right now...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bigluelok &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">good work and progress </TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks!

Old 10-14-2007, 11:42 AM

looking great that alot of hard work and time
Old 10-14-2007, 11:50 AM
ate my pixel

I hope you didn't primer that valve cover....if you did, the paints going to flake off like a bad sunburn. I did my vc with the 500 paint and it still flaked, I found the only thing that will hold up is the 1200 degree paint.

Nice project, seems a bit ghetto to me to strip the interior out/PS/AC if you're staying with the stock motor, but to each their own.

Scrub that engine bay too once you get done with the tuck, that thing is FILTH!
Old 10-14-2007, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Twixle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I hope you didn't primer that valve cover....if you did, the paints going to flake off like a bad sunburn. I did my vc with the 500 paint and it still flaked, I found the only thing that will hold up is the 1200 degree paint.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
thanks for the tip we will be keeping an eye on it so if it does flake off.. its pretty easy to re-do it with another type of product... this is the first VC i have done... and it only took like 30 mins.. so i dont expect alot...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Twixle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Nice project, seems a bit ghetto to me to strip the interior out/PS/AC if you're staying with the stock motor, but to each their own.

Scrub that engine bay too once you get done with the tuck, that thing is FILTH!</TD></TR></TABLE>

GHETTO??
umm.. thanks, i guess..

we're actually one step ahead of u buddy, if u read my posts i made earlier, i addressed these issues already.

this is my little brothers car. and as much as i would like to help him out.. we're not rich. we work with what we need and what we have, then we go from there...
we both want to put an h22 in there. but as i said, funds are limited...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaZvic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
just the essentials for now. our mom is paying for the parts that we "NEED" but anything else that my bro wants, he has to pay for himself... such as the slim fan, and the motor mount inserts. wanted to get some billet ones.. but cant seem to find any for the accord... oh well...

mods on the accord are:
lowered a tiny bit, intake, cheap header, cheap exhaust, 2.5" piping... that'll probably be it for now...

but a h22-t is in his dreams.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaZvic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
on the list:

fix timing belt + some.
slight wire tuck.
ac & ps removal.
and clean that bitch up!!!!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 10-14-2007, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (integrax97)

awesome work man..... i cant wait to see this completed..... i love my tucked cb7 bay!
Old 10-14-2007, 06:46 PM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Twix why jock on his **** man?

what he's doing is perfectly fine, sorry we're not all on the baller budget you're on......

damn 07's
Old 10-15-2007, 01:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TheMuffinMan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J-specCb4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">awesome work man..... i cant wait to see this completed..... i love my tucked cb7 bay!</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks bro, yeah now that we've been working on it, im getting excited to get it finished, i wanna see this thing done and clean.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheMuffinMan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Twix why jock on his **** man?

what he's doing is perfectly fine, sorry we're not all on the baller budget you're on......

damn 07's</TD></TR></TABLE>
werd
Old 10-15-2007, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks real good. Never seen a cb gutted. Now you just need to have the kid look out for the a6 runners/plenum and cam. Junkyard journey.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SleepstR88)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SleepstR88 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looks real good. Never seen a cb gutted. Now you just need to have the kid look out for the a6 runners/plenum and cam. Junkyard journey.</TD></TR></TABLE>
thanks,

yeah, im trying to get him to get on here and learn how to research a little.. lol
Old 10-16-2007, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

let him do the research and you do the work?
seems silly to me...
Old 10-16-2007, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SleepstR88)

no not quiet..

he's a quick learner, i show him how to do something once and he remembers and takes over.

but i would like him to figure out how to do a job he's never done before all by himself.
for one, start the research, then two, get after it. dont be scared ya know..

he doesnt like to read.. lol, i try to get him to get on this dang computer and do some research instead of just asking me how to do it.
u can learn so much from the SEARCH button. i have.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

CRANK PULLEY IS BUSTED!!!!!!! AAAAAARRRRRRR!!!!!!!

went to put everything back together... noticed the rubber inside the crank pulley was cracked... i then easily pulled the whole thing apart...

OEM ones are 120+ new.

ebay ones are like really cheap....

anyone have thoughts on OEM vs aftermarket?? i read a bunch of threads on that, but they were mostly B series stuff.... i guess it would be the same... i dunno...

Quick Reply: 91 accord ex, cb7: timing belt change, slight wire tuck, complete AC & PS removal. no 56k!!