Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Oil Soaked Plugs, Now My Car Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Soaked Plugs, Now My Car Won't Start

Ok heres my story. The car began to not start early on after i got it 3 months ago. I could jump it and it would be fine for weeks. Finally it stopped all together so i used a spair battery I had and it worked for a few weeks on and off. Finally thought it was the plugs or wires so I changed out both. PLugs were oil soaked so i knew I had to replace the spark plug gaskets and valve cover gaskets right? BTW, The car started after changing only one spark plug wire.

Anyhow before I could change out the gaskets, it died again. That was this morning right before work, so I tried to swap out the battery again, but the after putting in the new one the car would not even crank. As I was putting on the neg terminal the car kinda of clicked towards the back of the engine bay, the starter i am guessing? Anyhow, I haven't messed with it since, but I cant figure why it would do that. All I did was change out the battery, now it won't even start.

Anyone with an idea of how to fix this, please speak up, i would love your opinion. Thnx a ton

also, i love this forum, you guys are very friendly
Old 07-19-2004, 01:34 AM

Default Re: Oil Soaked Plugs, Now My Car Won't Start (dailydriven91ex)

just a guess man check your wires on the starter they could have a short in them, maybe thats the click sound you heard, and maybe thats why your battery keeps dying.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:57 PM

Default Re: Oil Soaked Plugs, Now My Car Won't Start (dailydriven91ex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dailydriven91ex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As I was putting on the neg terminal the car kinda of clicked towards the back of the engine bay, the starter i am guessing? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Relays. Starter won't make noise until you're in the Start position on the ignition.

If the plugs were oil soaked on the outside (where the plug wire boot is) then true, probably the valve cover gasket and if oil got in the boot (enough of it anyway) it could impede the spark. If they are oil soaked on the INSIDE (where the spark occurs), I would do a compression test. You'll probably find that the head gasket is leaking, or you have a cracked head.

I would check the cap and rotor as well. Also spark plug gap while you're at it.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:42 AM

Oil on spark plugs, can be resolved by fixing the upper valve cover spark plug tube seal, if that doesnt' fix it, time to get down below and get the lower spark plug tube seal.

My lower one is busted, i've changed my upper one twice, still leaks.