Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

2002 Honda Accord Ex security alarm problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 04:51 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 2002 Honda Accord Ex security alarm problem

Hello all -

I'm looking for some help/advice with my factory installed alarm on my 2002 Honda Accord. Long story, so will try to keep this short.

About a year ago, I took it into the dealership because the SRS light was lit on the dash. They told me it was something that needed to be replaced in the seatbelt, and that it was covered by warranty. Fine, done. The next day, I noticed that the horn didn't honk when I locked the car like normal, but it's a pain to get to this dealership for service, so I figured if the alarm was working, no biggie.

Cut to now. The alarm has been randomly going off at all times of the day. I took it in to be serviced and explained that it hasn't worked since they last touched it. I was told yesterday that to fix it, they would have to replace the multiplex control, which would be around $550. Ok, so I told them to just disable the alarm. They kept the car overnight and told me today that they can't turn off the alarm without replacing the multiplex control.

I guess I'm here to see if this makes sense, or if there is another way to do this? Also, does the repair to the SRS situation have anything to do with the problem I'm experiencing today? This dealership doesn't have the greatest reputation, so I wanted to get another objective opinion before deciding what to do next.

Please let me know if you need more information on the vehicle. TIA!
Old 05-23-2011, 09:57 PM
Trial User

Default Re: 2002 Honda Accord Ex security alarm problem

Some problems I've noticed with my 2002 Accord 2.3L 4cyl... 1st personal-The tranny started messing up? around 75k. Like it would stay in a gear for a second after it changed gears...? Whatever, warranty covered it. 2nd. I think that was under warranty too. Idle control Valve (ICV) would run at a low rpm and be struggling sometimes when stopped to that it'd almost shut the engine off, that only happened once tho and I think in my garage cuz I was revin it to see. I'm now at 121,000k and it's been doing it every now and then but its not a problem, doesnt mess with the driving and it's rare. So whatever. So that's a recurring problem for MY Accord.
Now on many Accords MANY on 2002 I see water has gotten into the read break lights, including mine, no technical problems with it but cosmetic (for now), the water takes off the silver paint in the rear brake light box...Can't really notice unless you look. We'd notice. Lol. Thats not been recalled and so many have that problem, strange.
Oh yeah, an Airbag recall I think it twas in 2010, if not 2010 def. 2009. They took care of that well. As with the tranny. Gas isn't good for a 4cyl 2.3L!! 23 Hwy/St. 30 Hwy. I never drive just street si I dunno bout that, I live in Los Angeles. I actually think it's too big of a car for such a small engine, it feels heavy unless it's in D3,lol. If they wanted to do a V4 at least put a bigger engine, I dunno. At least 2.5!! Just wanted to inform ppl because I see ppl posting regarding these things, so yes they happen.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go in there, yell at them, and demand to speak with a manager.
Make their lives miserable until they fix what they broke. Sounds to me like they are trying to take you for a ride.

And dude above me, stop jacking people threads.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:03 AM
Trial User

Just wanted to give an update in case anyone else has this problem. I took the car to a different dealership, and we eventually replaced the hood latch, which seems to have fixed the problem.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:12 AM
Trial User

[QUOTE=And dude above me, stop jacking people threads.[/QUOTE]

Who's thread did I 'jack'?

Relax junior, don't get ahead of urself.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:55 PM
Trial User

Omg I have exactly the same problem! Starting with a lit SRS light on the dashboard which was attributed to a faulty sensor in the driver seatbelt buckle, which was fixed at my cost(!) Anyway weeks (just past the warranty period lol) later that same light came on again but I didn't care anymore. However, the alarm started to go off randomly which I gather could be the hood latch coz there had been some minor bumper thumpers. Can the two be related? That's so weird. I'm sure if I take it in they would happily gouge me again. These dealers are all leeches! So now I'm left with this problem of dealing with an extremely annoying faulty alarm, but I'm having problem locating the connector under the hood latch that I'm supposed to disconnect since I'm a complete noob lol. Btw I have a 2000 Accord EX V6 coupe