Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1999 Honda Accord Lx no start issue....HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Honda Accord Lx no start issue....HELP

my buddies car is not starting. i cant figure out why. car cranks/turnover but it wont start. check the basics already: fuel, compression, spark, rpm signal and its all there. no cel because my buddy took off the battery cable. i know, not the smartest thing to do. im wondering now if it has anything to do with the ignition switch or the immobilizer. maybe the key and the computer are not sync anymore. anyone have any ideas? please help.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 1999 Honda Accord Lx no start issue....HELP

Have you checked the main relay? If the green key light is not flashing while you're cranking then that's not an issue. How did you check for spark?
Old 03-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes i check the main relay. didnt replace it yet but i figure i dont have to because i can hear the fuel pump come on. i also check that there is fuel and pressure on the fuel lines. there were fuel coming out when it was crank. distributor was also changed with 2 used ones from the junk and still no start. i check for spark with a spark tester on all four wires.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any recent work done to the car?

Have you tried to spray carb cleaner into the tb? Yes you hear the pump and that but humor an old man.

What kind of "tester" do you have for spark?

What is/was the voltage on the BLK/YEL wire going into the dist with the key on/pos II?
Old 03-07-2012, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chickendance
yes i check the main relay. didnt replace it yet but i figure i dont have to because i can hear the fuel pump come on. i also check that there is fuel and pressure on the fuel lines. there were fuel coming out when it was crank. distributor was also changed with 2 used ones from the junk and still no start. i check for spark with a spark tester on all four wires.
So you're positive you've got fuel pressure and sufficient spark? You said you replaced the distributor, are you sure you haven't crossed the ignition wires? Is your check engine light on? How much have you tried cranking it? If you've spun it over a lot it the cylinders could be flooded. Try pulling the spark plugs and squirting a little WD40 in the cylinders and if you have access to compressed air blow the cylinders out. Do you think you could record a video of the vehicle spinning over and post it?
Old 03-07-2012, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by justinsbg
So you're positive you've got fuel pressure and sufficient spark? You said you replaced the distributor, are you sure you haven't crossed the ignition wires? Is your check engine light on? How much have you tried cranking it? If you've spun it over a lot it the cylinders could be flooded. Try pulling the spark plugs and squirting a little WD40 in the cylinders and if you have access to compressed air blow the cylinders out. Do you think you could record a video of the vehicle spinning over and post it?
one thing he hasnt told us is if hes sure fuel is being dumped into the cylinders. i know those cars have a problem with ecu and then injectors not firing. fuel pressure alone is not enough.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:54 AM
Trial User

I had a similar problem on a 99 accord turned out to be a bad ignition switch that had been recalled by Honda I would double check to see if the recall has been done to your buddys car
Old 03-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Lost Again
Any recent work done to the car?

Have you tried to spray carb cleaner into the tb? Yes you hear the pump and that but humor an old man.

What kind of "tester" do you have for spark?

What is/was the voltage on the BLK/YEL wire going into the dist with the key on/pos II?
still no luck on the car yet. yes i tried spraying starting fluid in the throttle body. i used a i spark tester from kragen. its the test where you could see the spark jump across the gap. didnt check for voltage for blk/yel wiring because i got spark to the plugs.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by justinsbg
yes im very positive i got fuel because i can smell the gas coming out of the tailpipe when it is cranking. spark is there. double check the ignition wires just to make sure it is not cross also. i have also step on the gas pedal all the way down while cranking and created a flood mode to clear out the cylinders. still i get nothing. now the car the is just sitting until i get some more info
Old 03-12-2012, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 01rayray
I had a similar problem on a 99 accord turned out to be a bad ignition switch that had been recalled by Honda I would double check to see if the recall has been done to your buddys car
thanks i will check on that recall. im thinking it might be it and that it is causing the key and the ecu to not communicate to eachother.