Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

RPM "Lock" / Lurching

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RPM "Lock" / Lurching

Hey guys,

I'm totally new and my 99 Accord LX 4Cyl has never acted up before and has been very good to me.

Basically what is happening [and it's not 24/7] is when I am cruising, usually between 40-70mph when OD gets to kick in, the RPM gauge runs at about 2500 or so, which I have observed as normal. Now, after a few minutes, the gauge will drop down the 2000 or so, which is really low for 70MPH, and the car will feel like it jerked in the process. I can apply more gas and the gauge will not go back up, but you can hear the engine. I have to floor it to get the gauge to go up and by that time it's long out of OD and back into 3rd to accommodate. When I take my foot off the pedal it gauge doesn't drop down, it stays like it is and slowly drops with the speedometer until it's dropped about 20mph and it goes back into 3rd or 2nd.

Now after about 20 minutes it returns to normal function, and sometimes it will return to this weird state after a period of time.

Now my CEL comes on about once a month with code P0420, but it doesn't come on in conjunction when this occurs. From what I have read it doesn't seem to be correlated?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 04-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RPM "Lock" / Lurching

Catalytic converter could be causing some problems. I would probably go with that first. When was the last time you checked the transmission fluid? I take it this is an auto? If so is there any transmission codes?
Old 04-06-2009, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hon2984
Catalytic converter could be causing some problems. I would probably go with that first. When was the last time you checked the transmission fluid? I take it this is an auto? If so is there any transmission codes?
You know I think it just might be that. It was happening today [actually the whole trip home from work, about 45 minutes] and the CEL illuminated with the same 420 code.

The fluid was supposed to have been changed when I bought the car used from the dealer. I took it in for a oil change and the guy said it wasn't that great which makes me wonder if they actually changed it when I bought it.

It also only seems to do it once the car has warmed up. I drove it one night for about an hour when it was pretty cold outside and it never did it [the temp. gauge never got off the C mark].

Do you have any ideas on approx. how much it would cost to get this fixed?

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2009, 11:10 PM

ima say u need to tune up ur igniton or drain and refill all tranny fluid.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so it has been roughly a year and I still have not found a solution to this problem, to recap, this is what i have done:

- new cat
- new o2 front/read
- flushed tranny
- new ignition parts [dist. cap, plugs, rotor, cable] -- in response to recent complete cylinder misfire [all four were out of spec, two ceased to function at all]
- new temp sensor

I have not had a single code since the replacement of the cat and sensors [minus the ignition issue a couple months back].

To this day it still does it, still shifts down as needed for climbing hills on freeways or when I give it serious gas on flat road [minor increases are not reflected on rpm guage but car still speeds up]

I've gotten used to it but I want it to go away.

Any ideas?
Old 03-31-2010, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

could be the shift interlock solenoids or youve messed ur trans up by flushing it as the filters arent servicable