Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1994 Accord Ex misfire, stuble under acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 03:51 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Accord Ex misfire, stuble under acceleration

Hey guys, i havent posted here in a while and im having some issues with my accord.

Its a 1994 4dr Accord LX with a stock f22 SOHC Vtec motor. I bought it used from a guy that said the car had no issues, 144k on the odo, no CEL's and such. I get the car home and its perfect, no issues. I do however notice the engine light does not come on at start up so i took the cluster out to see if its a burnt bulb, but the guy stuck black electrical tape on the cel bulb to hide the light. If i start the car up first thing in the morning the light will come on after about 4-5 min, however if i cut the car off, turn it back on, the cel wont come back on for the rest of my trip home (49 miles one way). This is one issue that has not really bugged me.

My main issue just recently started about 2 months ago and is getting progressivly worse. I first started noticing my car missing, sputtering occasionally, not too bad but it was noticable. Then i felt my car start bog when i would give it gas trying to accelerate. Its more noticable around 1500-2500 rpm and it sounds like its not firing on all cylinders until i get up to about 45-50mph and then its fine with the occasional sputter. This morning i stopped at a stop sign, put my foot on the brake, and gave it gas to put a load on the motor. The motor started to do the same thing again, sputtering and jerking like it was missing.

Now 6 months ago i checked the EGR ports and they were clear, i suspected the ports might have became clogged with soot so this time i got a vaccum pump and applied a vaccum to the egr, the motor stumbled and died so i know the ports are clear. I also changed the plugs, wires, dizzy cap and rotor and im still having the same issue. Im suspecting it may be an issue with the internals of the dizzy(oil was getting inside the cap, i replaced the both the inner and outer seal and cleaned the oil) or the cat may be clogged. In my old Type R i had an issue with a clogged cat and when i would accelerate it would sputter like my accord does now. I dont recall if my type r would miss at idle though, only under acceleration.

Any help or ideas would be great, thanks again guys!!
Old 02-09-2011, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1994 Accord Ex misfire, stuble under acceleration

Originally Posted by typer2k1
Hey guys, i havent posted here in a while and im having some issues with my accord.

Its a 1994 4dr Accord LX with a stock f22 SOHC Vtec motor. I bought it used from a guy that said the car had no issues, 144k on the odo, no CEL's and such. I get the car home and its perfect, no issues. I do however notice the engine light does not come on at start up so i took the cluster out to see if its a burnt bulb, but the guy stuck black electrical tape on the cel bulb to hide the light. If i start the car up first thing in the morning the light will come on after about 4-5 min, however if i cut the car off, turn it back on, the cel wont come back on for the rest of my trip home (49 miles one way). This is one issue that has not really bugged me.

My main issue just recently started about 2 months ago and is getting progressivly worse. I first started noticing my car missing, sputtering occasionally, not too bad but it was noticable. Then i felt my car start bog when i would give it gas trying to accelerate. Its more noticable around 1500-2500 rpm and it sounds like its not firing on all cylinders until i get up to about 45-50mph and then its fine with the occasional sputter. This morning i stopped at a stop sign, put my foot on the brake, and gave it gas to put a load on the motor. The motor started to do the same thing again, sputtering and jerking like it was missing.

Now 6 months ago i checked the EGR ports and they were clear, i suspected the ports might have became clogged with soot so this time i got a vaccum pump and applied a vaccum to the egr, the motor stumbled and died so i know the ports are clear. I also changed the plugs, wires, dizzy cap and rotor and im still having the same issue. Im suspecting it may be an issue with the internals of the dizzy(oil was getting inside the cap, i replaced the both the inner and outer seal and cleaned the oil) or the cat may be clogged. In my old Type R i had an issue with a clogged cat and when i would accelerate it would sputter like my accord does now. I dont recall if my type r would miss at idle though, only under acceleration.

Check for leaking sparkplug seals on the valve cover. Sometimes enough oil leaks in there and causes the plugs to miss.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:52 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

good point, however i replaced the plugs with the distributor cap, rotor, and wires and they were fine, no signs of oil on them.

any other suggestions? any way to check exhaust pressure at the tailpipe for a clogged cat?
Old 02-09-2011, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check your coil pack. it sounds like a weak spark issue. my supra had the same issue.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:10 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

That's one thing I did not check, I assume it could have been damaged from the leaking oil. How would I test it?
Old 02-09-2011, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's one thing I did not check, I assume it could have been damaged from the leaking oil. How would I test it?
Look up the continuity range, get a multimeter and test it.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Other things to look for, clogged/damaged fuel injectors, cracked exhaust manifold (A manifold cracked upstream of the oxygen sensor will throw off the reading and subsequently the fuel/air mix when the car is running in open loop.

The resistance on the primary winding (two terminals) should be between .4 and .6 ohms

between A and secondary winding terminals should be between 22-34K ohms.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pull the code.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:24 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

i would pull the code, however whenever i start the car, no cel until about 2-3 min of driving. I stop, turn the car off, turn the car back on and no more cel. I also tried to look for the plug to jump under the passenger side dash but i didnt find anything.

Another bit of information, on my way into work this morning i noticed the car is fine cold, the issue with stubmling and misfiring only occurs after the car warms up.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i would pull the code, however whenever i start the car, no cel until about 2-3 min of driving. I stop, turn the car off, turn the car back on and no more cel. I also tried to look for the plug to jump under the passenger side dash but i didnt find anything.

Another bit of information, on my way into work this morning i noticed the car is fine cold, the issue with stubmling and misfiring only occurs after the car warms up.
yup. its a coil pack
Old 02-10-2011, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i had a similar problem on my 99 accord one time, check the wires going to your O2 sensor make sure the wires are all the way plugged into your O2 sensor connector plug. Sounds wierd but fixed the prob never happened again.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No MIL = Can still have code. Find plug, pull code.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:30 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Ok I will try to find the plug. I also replaced the entire distributor and the car us doing the same thing. However today I put the car in neutral and rev'd the motor and it was sputtering/bogging down. There is no exhaust leaks and I found the o2 wire and made sure it was securly plugged in.

Is there an easy way to check the injectors beside putting a long screwdriver to them and listen to make sure they are openng? Would a bad fuel pump be causing this issue? Wouldn't the pump just fail by not operating all of a sudden?

I'm at a loss here, but now I'm leaning to a clogged cat issue. Does anyone else have any other suggestions?
Old 02-12-2011, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ignore all suggestions until you retrieve the DTC. The car wants to tell you something. You just need to listen.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:56 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

ok, so i was able to pull the code and its telling me code 12. Code 12 Exhaust recirculation system, now this is for the egr valve correct? This morning i disconnected the vaccum line going to the egr valve to see if it made a difference. It did not, the car is still acting the same way. Is there an issue with the egr solenoid not applying sufficient vacumn to the valve?
Old 02-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be, I personally would start with cleaning the EGR ports and the valve. Then reset the the ECU and see if the code comes back.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:27 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Yeah, I think that's my next step too. I never checked the ports on the egr valve, so I will try that next and go crazy with a bottle of seafoam. I'm also going to try and blow out the vacuum lines with compressed air, perhaps there could be a blockage there too? I will let u guys know this weekend!
Old 02-15-2011, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I said ports I was taking about the passages. Link below is thanks to Hondadude

http://www.freewebs.com/hondadude/95...5AccordEGR.htm
Old 02-25-2011, 08:45 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

ok, so this past weekend i pulled the intake manifold, checked the ports and they were fine, egr valve ports were ok too. Im planning on finishing the car this weekend, but im thinking there may be an issue with the vaccum solenoid, is there a way i can test it? Last time i applied vaccum to the egr valve to see if the car would stall i also rev'd the motor and held my finger over the #16 vaccum hose, i didnt feel a vaccum at all. how can i test this solenoid?
Old 03-04-2011, 05:32 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Ok, here is an update to my car issues. I put the car back together last weekend. Checked the entire egr, egr solenoid valve, egr control valve, and vaccum tests per the helms manual and everything checked out ok. Good thing is the intermittant CEL for code 12 is not comming on anymore. The bad, the car is still doing the same thing. There is a spot between 1800-2500 rpm that sputters/hesitates/misfires no matter what gear im in (AT). I tried to adjust the distributor timing by placing it right in the middle and the issue would get better, misfire would only occur between 1800-2500, i would retard and advance the timing in small incriments and the issue just got worse.

Im thinking the next step would be to clean the O2 sensor, maybe disconnect the cat from the header to see if i still get this misfire hesitation issue. Since the car is an OBD1 would the o2 sensor throw a code if there was an issue? Im at a loss here.

anybody have any other suggestions?
Old 07-07-2013, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you ever find out what this was? Having same issue except w/a code 14
Old 07-07-2013, 10:48 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by dannylegreat
Did you ever find out what this was? Having same issue except w/a code 14
I don't think he can get back to you, being banned and all.