Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

'02 Accord: Abnormal Series of Engine Issues - please help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 Accord: Abnormal Series of Engine Issues - please help!

After searching all over the internet and this site I have yet to find any postings with a similar combination of issues that I’m currently experiencing with my 2002 Honda Accord EX Coupe. My CEL has been on for a few months now with only the following code: P1457 – EVAP Control System Leakage (EVAP Canister Area).

I assumed these codes had something to do with an exhaust sensor, switch or solenoid and due to recent travel I had not been able to further diagnose the issue to fix the problem. With that being said I hadn’t been driving my car frequently with the CEL on but I did recently take it to the shop to get new tires.

Up until this point the car has had NO problems starting; however after getting the car to the shop it wouldn’t start back up. After checking to be sure that it wasn’t a battery issue, I got it towed. Based on the sound that was being made when I was trying to start the car, and the fact that it wouldn’t turn-over at the shop, I thought that it might be the fuel pump or crank position sensor.

After they towed it back to my home I tried to start the car again… and much to my surprise it turned over without hesitation.

Now is where I could really use some help. If anyone has any idea what might be wrong with my car I would greatly appreciate it.

In short the car is throwing the following code: P1457. It also didn’t start for a period of time; however after being towed I was able to start it again. Perhaps this was because something (fuse, etc.) shifted back into place when it was loaded on/off the tow truck).

Thank you so much for any suggestions that you all might have.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: '02 Accord: Abnormal Series of Engine Issues - please help!

The p1457 is a pretty common issue. There is some testing that needs to be done to narrow down the issue......two way valve, bypass solenoid, vent shut valve.

As for the starting issue. Need to understand a few things. The starter will spin the engine over, then it will "fire up" and run......so was the starter spinning the engine over but it wouldn't "fire up"......or was the starter doing nothing?
Old 09-28-2013, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

P1457 could be as simple as a loose or bad gas filler cap. The cap needs to seal; don't replace with aftermarket.
If the starter works, the no start issue could be the main fuel relay. The solder joints on the circuit board crack and temperature changes make them lose contact. Replace the main relay or re-solder the connections on the circuit board.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry the delay in replying. I've actually been out of the country once again.

Lost Again: In regards to the details with starting issue that I had prior to the two: the starter would spin but wouldn't 'catch' or "fire up". That's why I knew it wasn't a dead battery because the starter was definitely going through the motions but the engine itself wouldn't start.

zuvy: So you think that it might be a loose connection that got knocked back into place after the car was towed? That seems to make since especially if it would also cause the CEL to be on, both before and after the towing situation.

Thanks so much everyone!

Best Regards.