Notices

What turbo is this turbonetics??? oil and coolant jackets

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What turbo is this turbonetics??? oil and coolant jackets

I'm trying to identify my turbo... It's a small turbonetics turbo that has both oil lines and coolant lines on the center housing. Could be Ball Bearing but I've heard it may not be. The compressor housing is a Stage 1 0.48 housing and I'm not positive about the turbine housing. No markings. Please HELP!!!

Also, I'm reading mixed stories about rebuilding a turbo on my own. I think I'd have no problems doing it and also making sure the shaft is within spec. Just wondering what everyones feeling are about me attemping a rebuild on my own. Also, Where is the best place to get a rebuild kit for this???? Thats why I need to identify the turbo...

Thanks for any help
Attached Images    

Last edited by dkboyny11; 01-13-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What turbo is this turbonetics??? oil and coolant jackets

look on the inside of the housing. there should be a marking. I believe all turbonetics turbos have the markings on the inside of the flange. correct me if im wrong.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

TTT
Old 01-14-2010, 06:54 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

If you're brave enough to attempt the rebuild, then I'd say you're brave enough to go ahead and remove the housings and measure the wheels for the compressor and turbine's respective inducer and exducer sizes. That's the best way to be sure, and to introduce you to the work of the rebuild. You'll know whether or not you're ready for it. Time to just DIVE IN...
Old 01-14-2010, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a feeling that is a ball bearing turbo. So you need to take it apart completely before attempting a rebuild just to make sure you are ordering the right parts. Its no big deal to rebuild a turbo. I got a turbonetics turbo for free that was shot last year. I took it apart found out what was wrong and bought new parts. I didnt get the shaft balanced but my car made 274whp on 9psi with it. So i think its fine.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:09 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

If it is CERAMIC bearing, which is what most turbonetics were, then yes, you can take it apart to rebuild. If it were steel ball-bearing (like a GT ballistics turbo) then NO, you can't just take it apart to rebuild it. My money says its a ceramic bearing, in which you can rebuild it.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys for all the help. I can't wait to dive in and get my hands dirty. See what I'm dealing with and order up some parts. I just purchased it and noticed a little more shaft play then I'd like so I'm just trying to make it better before installing on anything. I hope all is good inside with minimal shaft wear and hopefully ceramic bearing so I can do it myself.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

More shaftplay than the dozen or more turbos you've handled? My point is a turbo can have a small amount of play and still be fine. If there was no play, it would sieze up when it heats up during use.

It almost looks like it uses straight metric threads for the coolant lines. That combined with the fact it's a stg1 turbine tells me it may have been a rebuilt core with turbonetics housings slapped on. FYI most people mess things up than fix things when they try to rebuild a turbo for the first time.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I hear you completely on it needing some shaft play. I've seen other signs, like oil around the exhaust fins and mild shaft play. I have a brand new garrett in my living room just out of the box and yes some shaft play for normal tolerances. But this turbonetics seemed to have more shaft play then the garrett and the other 10 or so turbos I've delt with in the past. I figured exhaust fins with oil around them and some shaft play would show signs of it needing a rebuild. I have pics of it apart
Attached Images