Notices

turbo and smog in CA

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo and smog in CA

what turbo are there besides greddy that can pass smog in california? and is there anyway to get around failing smog with a street illegal turbo?
Old 02-18-2003, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo and smog in CA (GhOstFaCEd)

NONE but edelbrock is trying other than greddy u have vortech SC and Jackson SC other than that we get fucked in CA
Old 02-18-2003, 11:00 PM

Default Re: turbo and smog in CA (underrated99si)

now if you drive in CA with your shiney intercooler showing.. can a cop pull you over for no reason ask you to pop your hood and give you a ticket?
Old 02-18-2003, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo and smog in CA (hatchback)

hell they will pull u over for looking wierd and ask u to pop your hood Flat black that mug
Old 02-19-2003, 12:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo and smog in CA (underrated99si)

goodluck passing this if you get picked...

http://www.aaa-calif.com/auto-own/maintain/smog.asp

"Smog Dyno machines must be installed and ready to go by July 1st, 2003. But the Dyno part of the smog will not be in effect till around August 1st, 2003 (Or around this time).

The price of the average above ground Dyno + Smog machine will run about $40K turn key. The cost of an heavy duty inground dyno + Smog machine is $46K, turn key operation.

The difference between a Bar 90 and a Bar 97, is that the Bar 90 uses a "Two Speed Idle" test (TSI) which doesn't calculate load. It just measures emissions out the tail pipe while at idle and 2,500 RPM. The Bar 97 uses a 15mph and a 50% load (50/15), and a 25mph and 25% load. Wha't main difference between the two? the Bar 90 has a treadmill (aka dyno) to put a load on the car. With out a load, a car will not emit NOx (oxides of nitrtrates Nox + Sunlight = Photochemical Smog).

The government is really pushing this smog program, because it was susposed to go in affect in 97. So six years later, they government is being sued by the EPA (eniviornmental protectecion agency) cause of this issue. "
Old 02-19-2003, 07:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your other alternative is to take everything out and install all your stock stuff back...pain in the ***, but you'll pass smog. I'm gonna have an extra oil pan and an ecu just for this cause, unless somebody in southern cali has come up with something more easier
Old 02-19-2003, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo and smog in CA (mamaboy)

HKS does make an CARB legal kit. I tried e-mailing them to get info, but I have not heard back yet. Some contacts have told me that it does not use an intercooler, fuel managment, external wastegate, BOV, doesn't go over 5lbs of boost. I don't know how accurate this info is, but I know it is street legal in Cali. I also hear it is not very good to a motor.

According to a California DMV lawyer, a cop can mearly ASK you to pop your hood. It is considered a search and everyone knows they must have a search warrent or probable cause. In accordance with the laws here in Cali, to search under the hood, you need to be pulled over for exibition of speed, drag racing, etc. Being pulled over for illegal U turn, running reds, brake lights out, no front plate, does not warrent a hood pop. Listen carefully when the cop pulls you over, if he/she asks to look under the hood, politly say "no, I don't see a reason for you to look under my hood, I am running late already for an appointment, just server me my ticket for no front plate, and we'll both be on our way." Or something to that affect. There is nothing they can do about it. After learning this I have stood my ground twice and they just let it be.

If you are unsure of any mod you may have, check out this link to Cali Carb info. It has every single Carb# and prodcut number for every legal aftermarket piece for every car.
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/devices.htm

[Modified by DOSPOWND, 5:08 PM 2/19/2003]
Old 02-19-2003, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo and smog in CA (DOSPOWND)

Go the crooked way and find somone that will pass you for $100.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:49 AM
TheHeyta

Default Re: turbo and smog in CA (SuperDuperEG)

oooops someone droped a 100 dollar bill" is what you tell the smog operator. And you should pass with flying colors.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:14 AM
New User

Default Re: turbo and smog in CA (SportInjected)

dont count on it man.

I bought a new car because of the flicking hassle with smog and ca cops. my particular officer went hollywood with the camera when my hood was open. had to hit the ref and the hassle or removing everything.... how many times do i have to do that!! bah.

so now, I drive a VW GTi 1.8T. hooraaay for factory turbo! and my boosted civic is in my garage.

btw, i'm yanking most of my setup pretty soon.

Anyone interested in sohc turbo parts... lemme know! I'll post the ads sometime this week though.
94 sohc hb. most of the setup is for sale: 3" exhaust, 2.5" downpipe, t3, t3 turbo, blitz ss bov, hondata 3bd, sleeved d16z6....
Old 02-19-2003, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo and smog in CA (DOSPOWND)

DOSPOWND : Are you %100 sure that you can tell a cop "NO" if they want to pop your hood, just for getting pulled over for a front license plate, u-turn, etc.......
Could they legally do anything to you if you said "No"?

[Modified by ZentraediEK, 7:57 PM 2/19/2003]
Old 02-19-2003, 10:57 AM

Default Re: turbo and smog in CA (SuperDuperEG)

yeah but who does that in so cal?

Old 02-19-2003, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo and smog in CA (ZentraediEK)

DOSPOWND : Are you %100 sure that you can tell a cop "NO" if they want to pop your hood, just for getting pulled over for a front license plate, u-turn, etc.......

Yes I am 100% positive. I did lots of research since I also heard lots of people say no they can't and yes they can. Keep inmind though, if they know what an front mount intercooler is, that is considered probable cause.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo and smog in CA (hatchback)

90% of cops are dumb and would think that the 'shiney intercooler' is a 'shiney radiator' which they cant do **** about because a radiator has nothing to do with emissions, so they wouldnt bother
Old 02-19-2003, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo and smog in CA (ZentraediEK)

well if they have reason to believe there is something in there they can search it if they please.. if your intercooler is showing through your bumper that's enough right there for them to go searching.. if you have a aftermarket exhaust there is another reason for them to check if you have any other "gross polluter" parts under your hood, and site you for it.
Old 02-19-2003, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo and smog in CA (xjdm94x)

oooops someone droped a 100 dollar bill" is what you tell the smog operator. And you should pass with flying colors.

hahahaha i had a mental image of me doing that
Old 02-19-2003, 02:28 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: turbo and smog in CA (bretx0r)

90% of cops are dumb and would think that the 'shiney intercooler' is a 'shiney radiator' which they cant do **** about because a radiator has nothing to do with emissions, so they wouldnt bother
It's that 10% I'm worried about.

Rboosted posted about his experience where he got pulled over and they knew everything about his car... the jdm front end and the jackson racing SC.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo and smog in CA (SpoolinLS)

yeah but who does that in so cal?
Look around the Westminister/Garden Grove area - that is where I got mines done. hth.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo and smog in CA (xjdm94x)

well if they have reason to believe there is something in there they can search it if they please.. if your intercooler is showing through your bumper that's enough right there for them to go searching.. if you have a aftermarket exhaust there is another reason for them to check if you have any other "gross polluter" parts under your hood, and site you for it.
an exhaust system does not have anything to do with emissions. its the cat that does all the work. anything after the cat is fairgame unless it is too loud. if indeed u have an intercooler, if its a small one i bet they wouldnt be able to tell. the new civics have fairly big stainless looking radiators and they could be passed as an intercooler. so why cant a small intercooler be passed as a shiny radiator? lots of ways around this, and theres lots of ways to get nailed. it depends on whats on your car, the attitude of the cop, and ur attitude, and what u were specifically stopped for. if u were racing, then be prepared to pop that hood if he/she asks. if u were stopped for a illegal move or light out, then dont let them search anything. although if anything is in plain site, thats fairgame for them. for example, u have a ricer clear hood, and the cop sees ur wastegate... blah blah blah...

krazy
Old 02-19-2003, 09:42 PM

Default Re: turbo and smog in CA (krazy)

I work at a smog station ...But I smogged when my car was stock, so I don't have to worry about it for some time. In CA, you got two options - bribe the tech or change back to stock.

When the new smog dyno's finally get in place (if they ever do), you can be sure it's going to be a lot tougher smogging our cars cause places aren't going to risk their licenses after the $40-50k they've dropped on those machines.

Just change back to stock and in the meantime you can rebuild or clean up your setup.

[Modified by Trac226, 6:43 AM 2/20/2003]
Old 02-19-2003, 10:00 PM

Default Re: turbo and smog in CA (Trac226)

thanx for all the info guys but now can anyone tell me how much power a greddy turbo can push on a B18B motor and on about 8 to 13lbs. of boost i want to be able to run low 13's to maybe mid 12's is this achievable with a greddy?
Old 02-19-2003, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanx for all the info guys but now can anyone tell me how much power a greddy turbo can push on a B18B motor and on about 8 to 13lbs. of boost i want to be able to run low 13's to maybe mid 12's is this achievable with a greddy?
okay that info can be figured at a different topic, but im still wondering.. there are so many turbo'd hondas in cali and how do they all pass?... i dont want to sketch about little things but damn
Old 02-20-2003, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo and smog in CA (JDEM1)

so you guys are holding out on me eh?