Notices

Trying to put together a turbo setup, but have questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to put together a turbo setup, but have questions

Ok so i decided to have my crx hf , which now has a b16 in it, boosted. I have a goal of 250 to 300 whp .. with room for more hp. (which i think i will never use it).
I curently do about 30mpg , more if i drive like a gramma. My goal is to have the car around that much hp and be also somewhat of a fuel economic car, since i already have a gti 06 that does around 21-24 mpg. I have 3 routes. Nitrous, nitrous + turbo, turbo only.

What wouldnt be more reliable ? i don't plan on changing the internals.. unless i will do more hp. Talking about those ebay item. Are they any good ? i mean i've read on a thread about knockoff bov .. they don't see to be that bad at all , hence many people use them. But what about those polished looking manifolds ? or these . http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...QrdZ1. Since this is my daily driven i also MUST have AC down here in florida. I was thinking about a t3/t4OE , is this sufficient for my goal ? or can i have something smaller that spools quicker and do about the same hp ratings i want ? what turbo do you recommend me ? Will there be any problem with my intake manifold that i would need to get a aftermarket on or the stock should be sufficient ?

One major thing that i was thinking about is the piping on the intercooler. Do you guys think that having the piping done with plastic wil keep it much cooler than with metal ? since metal tranfers heat from the engine easier... Another question that i have is about the Condenser being able to fit with the intercooler and radiator. Is the spacing ok ?

I'm really comfused about all this , but i hope to get help !
many thanks in advance guys !
- Leo

Old 08-16-2006, 03:56 PM

anybody ?
Old 08-16-2006, 06:14 PM
TTT

You are first going to have to find a manifold that will allow you to keep your AC..

After that a T3/T04B 50 trim would work killer for your setup.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:24 PM

Default Re: (TTT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TTT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You are first going to have to find a manifold that will allow you to keep your AC..

After that a T3/T04B 50 trim would work killer for your setup.</TD></TR></TABLE> do you think the ones at ebay, like the link i posted above is good ? or should i invent in a better manifold ? ... i mean.. can they hold it ?
Old 08-16-2006, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Metal Typhoon)

I would get a quality manifold from like full race or something because those cheap ebay manifolds usually crack and you end up spending more time and money that you ever wanted. As for ebay turbos that are xspower stay away from those too even though some people may argue their quality its better to spend the money to get the right stuff when you do a turbo set up. And like previously stated a 50 trim would be excellent for your power goals and will give you a nice power band. Good luck

I just looked at the link for ebay and that isnt a cheap xspower manifold and cast manifold seem to be pretty reliable and get the job done but they don't flow as well as a tubular manifold. That turbo looks like a regular garrett but you can never be sure on ebay. Like I said I would spend the money and get a nice ac capable manifold from like full race or a similar company and order a downpipe also so you don't have to go through the process of fabbing your own since some people don't have access to welders or have to the skills required to make a quality one.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:06 PM

Default Re: (delslo93)

what's the difference between tubular and cast manifold ?
Old 08-17-2006, 05:29 AM
TTT

Default Re: (Metal Typhoon)

Tubular:

Cast:

Old 08-17-2006, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ yes that shows it but basically one is made by casting in a mold and the other is welded together. Cast manifolds are made with cast iron and are strong and pretty much won't crack. Tubular manifolds are just pieces of pipe cut and welded back together to form different types of manifolds. These have been proven to make more power but have a tendency to crack near the welds if not supported properly. The insides of the pipes are smooth on tubular manifolds unlike the cast manifolds meaning better exhaust flow and more power.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:32 AM
TTT

Default Re: (delslo93)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by delslo93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Cast manifolds are made with cast iron and are strong and pretty much won't crack. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Some are casted out of stainless steel which hold in the heat better and will not rust (just look better).

Most casted manifolds are casted out of ductile iron. Which is cheap to pour and if the walls are not thick enough they can still crack.. Have you ever seen OEM exhuast manifolds crack.. I have

Modified by TTT at 12:56 PM 8/17/2006
Old 08-17-2006, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can find all different kinda (length, width, height, shape) intercoolers. Im sure there is something you can find, but you might have to cut your bumper quite a bit.

I would aim for metal IC tubing as well. You can weld the metal and thus reduce the use of couplers and have less spots where you can get boost leaks.

And getting 250whp reliable is no problem on a b16 at all. Something like a 57 or 60 trim t3/t04e should flow nice.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (swappedcx)

T3/T4 50 or 57 trim will do nice on your setup. on the hotside a .63 to keep backpressure low and shift the powerband up a couple of rpm's over the .48. This will allow you to cruise around town normally then just load it and hit boost.