Notices

Toulean, Xylean, propane for ocatane boost

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toulean, Xylean, propane for ocatane boost

I just found out that I can purchase toulean and xylean(sp??) locally. Are these octane boosters worth the money?

Has anyone here ran propane injection on their honda?

I have a friend here at work that has a GN that has a propane setup. He says that it is VERY easy to install and costs around $600.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:41 AM
New User

Default Re: Toulean, Xylean, propane for ocatane boost (FuzzyGreen)

i run 4 gallons of toluene per tank in my civic (toluene is 114 octane * 4 + about 8 gallons of 91 = 98.67 octane) it's not as good as 104 or c16 or anything but my car runs 12:1 and its basicly the only way i can drive my car with any kind of power

straight 91 octane i can run .7 boost at 17 degrees. with this mixture i run 1.2 bar and 21 degrees of timing. its worth something like 100hp or so on my setup.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Toulean, Xylean, propane for ocatane boost (brian b)

Toluene and xylene is how you spell it i think.

xylene is 117 octane. You can use both but put some sort of lubricant in the mixture. A couple spoon fulls of marvel mystery oil or 2-stroke oil premix.

Propane can't be used.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:14 AM

There is no way in hell that you are running 4 gallons of toluene per tank!!!

-PHiZ
Old 09-23-2003, 10:27 AM

I think you get toulene from a paint store. Anybody knows how much toulene you can mix per tank? 4 gallons is a lil to much i think...
Old 09-23-2003, 10:48 AM

Default Re: (nhez)

My buddy was going to run xylene in his MR2 turbo, because he heard some people talking about it, then he was actually smart, and put a small section of a fuel line in xylene for an hour, it swelled up to at least 5x the size, and was all soft and rotted...Make sure you know what your getting yourself into with this stuff.
~james
Old 09-23-2003, 12:18 PM
New User

Default Re: Toulean, Xylean, propane for ocatane boost (PHiZ)

people like you keep people like me from posting anything on this board phiz. when was the last time you tried it? do you know anything about my engine or tuning? no..

i've tried xylene while the octane is higher it doesn't seem to produce the same power for whatever reason.. i've been using this mixture for about a year now, i haven't noticed any need for oil or anything except 1:2 toluene/91
Old 09-23-2003, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when it comes down to it. using 4 gallons of toluene per tank could be overkill simply because of cost. unless you buy toluene in drums (which some people do), you are spending way too much money. That's roughly 40 bucks for 4 gallons. So every fill up is at least 50 bucks.

If your setup requires that you must run a certain octane, then by all means. but for people that are only looking ot add a point or two, less toluene is better

Danny
Old 09-23-2003, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Toulean, Xylean, propane for ocatane boost (R6Elmo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by R6Elmo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Propane can't be used.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why not? He runs it just fine in his GN.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Toulean, Xylean, propane for ocatane boost (PHiZ)

&gt;&gt;There is no way in hell that you are running 4 gallons of toluene per tank!!!&lt;&lt;

It's really not that hard. You just flip open the little gas door thingy, unscrew the gas cap, and pour it in.

I run a similar ratio, but in much smaller amounts (like .5 gallons of toluene per 1 gallon of gas). I usually add 2 gallons of my little brew to a nearly empty tank at every autox. Cost's me a whopping 4 bucks each time, and I get somewhere in the neighborhood of 97 octane in the bargain. It's nice insurance when you're at full boost for nearly 2 minutes. My car loves it. BTW, if you use toluene instead of xylene, you don't have to add any lubricants.

There's nothing magic about octane booster. "104+" has been successfully packaging teeny tiny bottles of the stuff and selling it for big bucks because people just don't know...
Old 09-23-2003, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Toulean, Xylean, propane for ocatane boost (R6Elmo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by R6Elmo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when it comes down to it. using 4 gallons of toluene per tank could be overkill simply because of cost. unless you buy toluene in drums (which some people do), you are spending way too much money. That's roughly 40 bucks for 4 gallons. So every fill up is at least 50 bucks.

If your setup requires that you must run a certain octane, then by all means. but for people that are only looking ot add a point or two, less toluene is better

Danny</TD></TR></TABLE>

not true...some places like MN sell it pretty cheap. I get it at Menards for $4 a gallon.

Next question: Does anyone know if this stuff is really safe to run? hell, i usually run two gallons of toluene every other weekend and as of now, my car studders at lower rpm crusing. runs lean most of the time till i step on the gas and my vacuum hits -10psi. i wonder if this stuff kills O2 sensors??
Old 09-24-2003, 12:00 PM

Default Re: Toulean, Xylean, propane for ocatane boost (shermanyang)

I have talked to people that has used toluene, xylene and even cyclopentane. Every single one likes toluene the most and still using it. All three has their own cons, xylene corrodes fuel lines and sometimes even cause expansion. Toluene and xylene dries up internal components, they said it is better to lubricant on both to be in the safe side. Toulene is much safer they said, but xylene is more accessible and cheap, so take ur pick. Almost all of them runs 2:1 fuel:toluene ratio.