Notices

KraftWerks B-Series Race Supercharger Kit (Unbelievable Gains!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts
Default Re: KraftWerks B-Series Race Supercharger Kit (Unbelievable Gains!)

Originally Posted by Little_Nolan
Trying to secure some info on this kit:

-Any list of headers that clear the kit?

The Skunk2 Alpha header clears well enough. Also, designs that move the primaries over toward the transmission clear just fine as well.

-It specifically states on the Kraftwerks site to use the USDM GSR crank pulley. I have a stock 96 spec JDM ITR B18C, I was under the impression that the crank pulley is the same? Any reason I would NEED to switch to the USDM crank pulley?
The ITR crank pulley is SMALLER in diameter compared to the GSR crank pulley. Using the ITR crank pulley means that you would need a shop that knows a lot about this system to help you with the correct pulley combination to make maximum power. Motorvations Motorsports did mine... and I would say they did a pretty darn good job !!! Give them a call.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
The ITR crank pulley is SMALLER in diameter compared to the GSR crank pulley. Using the ITR crank pulley means that you would need a shop that knows a lot about this system to help you with the correct pulley combination to make maximum power. Motorvations Motorsports did mine... and I would say they did a pretty darn good job !!! Give them a call.
Thanks for the response. Looks like they are quite a ways away from me.

I am not looking to make maximum power, exactly the opposite in a lot of ways. Want to make sure it is not spinning up too much boost and I would like to keep the power low enough to be manageable if I decide to do the occasional HPDE/track day. Also looking to ensure engine longevity with a good SAFE tune a reasonable power levels.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Spoke with Kraftwerks today and they stated that the ITR pulley is just fine.

Still trying to get a definitive answer on this so I can order the correct pulley if need be. I am looking for pretty much the lowest boost possible with still running the correct alternator speed. Obviously no AC/PS.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There are bigger issues than pulley size at stake... proper belt tension is going to be your problem. Forget going to Motorvations... I suggest you CALL them to get all of the answers you need. Speak to Jim... he is at the cutting edge of this system.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Great, thanks for the response.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read over the whole thread and didn't find a question like mine...
I recently bought a 1320 performance ramhorn header and was wondering if this kit will still fit with that header. I see that some people have used a similar looking header, but i have a bad feeling that it won't clear the header. Thanks for the input hopefully someone sees this!

1320 Performance Ramhorn header
Old 10-19-2017, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gostlyman2
Read over the whole thread and didn't find a question like mine...
I recently bought a 1320 performance ramhorn header and was wondering if this kit will still fit with that header. I see that some people have used a similar looking header, but i have a bad feeling that it won't clear the header. Thanks for the input hopefully someone sees this!

1320 Performance Ramhorn header
Looking at the pics of the 1320 header, it appears that it will likely clear the supercharger itself... however, the next question is will you be able to install the inlet silicone coupler so that you can protect the supercharger itself with an air filter. I haven't seen that header installed on a KW Supercharged "B" series engine, so I cannot be certain.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just got my KW setup tuned at Innovative Motorworks yesterday. Trying to figure out how to post pictures, I have the dyno plot and pictures of the ITR I want to post.

Numbers:
298 whp
192 wtq

Setup:

1997 integra Type R #0305

-Stock ITR B18C
-GSR 138.6mm OEM crank pulley
-Stock ITR transmission
-Setrab/Greddy thermostatically controlled oiled cooler
-KW C30-94 kit with 120mm pulley
-Go-Autoworks piping and intake kit w/AEM dryflow filter
-Edelbrock intercooler
-Endyn breather system
-Omni 4bar MAP
-Neptune RTP
-Skunk2 Alpha V2 header
-Flowmaster 2.5" HF cat
-Tanabe Medalion Touring exhaust
-Mishimoto radiator (not thrilled - the cap sucked and fan shroud sucked)
-Spoon thermostat
-New OEM fan switch (Had mishimoto Tstat and fan switch - one or both let go and I replaced all the mishimoto parts aside from the rad)
-Edelbrock Honda/Flex-a-lite fan

Supension
-Koni's w/ GC's 450f/380r
-Hard race full bushing kit
-Spoon rigid collar
Old 05-08-2018, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Excellent numbers considering how low your peak blower speeds are. If you are happy with the numbers, your set up should be very conservative and safe.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Excellent numbers considering how low your peak blower speeds are. If you are happy with the numbers, your set up should be very conservative and safe.
Thanks.

Yeah, I am happy with the numbers. It is a little more power than I was expecting and wanted, but it is a hoot to drive and should do okay still on a road course.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all,

I recently made the mistake of ordering a 100mm pulley to use with my c30-94, will this be ok to use on a B16A crank pulley?
I would rather change the crank pulley to reduce supercharger impeller speed than order a new supercharger pulley from kraftwerks, they weren't too helpful in answering my questions, unfortunately.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by babykangaz
Hi all,

I recently made the mistake of ordering a 100mm pulley to use with my c30-94, will this be ok to use on a B16A crank pulley?
I would rather change the crank pulley to reduce supercharger impeller speed than order a new supercharger pulley from kraftwerks, they weren't too helpful in answering my questions, unfortunately.
I am not sure what crank pulley you would use that is SMALLER than the B16A or ITR crank pulley in order to slow down the impeller speeds, but this isn't going to be your primary issue. Using a really small supercharger and crank pulley combination is going to make proper belt tension almost impossible without modifying the kit itself. I suggest you contact Jim at Motorvations Motorsports for assistance with this. He was instrumental in helping me create my supercharged engine, and since it appears that mine happens to be the most powerful on the planet, I would say he knows what he is doing. PM me if you need contact information.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

JRCivic1, you are exactly right on the crank pulley size and the ensuing issues related to belt tension. There is not enough room for the tensioner to do its job and take out the slack. You will need a smaller belt. I contacted motorvations and he assisted me and answered my questions as well at your recommendation.

Depending on what you are looking for with desired PSI/impeller speed wise, I would go for a B18C1 OEM crank pulley with whatever other pulley you want. I used the GSR crank pulley with the 120mm KW pulley on my ITR and ended up with around 10.7 PSI at 8400rpm.

Originally Posted by babykangaz
Hi all,

Old 12-10-2018, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a quick question on this kit. have you notice any more wheel hop without the front Torque mounts? I mean I understand we should upgrade the mounts alone, but I also have Solid Torque mounts as well, I have seen the motor Flex without the front mounts even with solid mounts, but still what are your thoughts about losing the extra traction.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Civic92Turbo
Just a quick question on this kit. have you notice any more wheel hop without the front Torque mounts? I mean I understand we should upgrade the mounts alone, but I also have Solid Torque mounts as well, I have seen the motor Flex without the front mounts even with solid mounts, but still what are your thoughts about losing the extra traction.
I have HASport 62A street mounts and an Avid traction bar... no wheel hop for me on street tires. I haven't tried slicks yet, but I don't anticipate any issues there either.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

One of my good friends has a 1990 Wagovan with a moderately built LS swap in it... P30 pistons, Crower 3 cams, Skunk2 I/M, header and custom cat-back. The car made 159 wheel HP on the engine N/A... he had Motorvations Motorsports install a Kraftwerks Rotrex supercharger on it. After They tuned it, the results were amazing !!! How about 351 wheel HP and 246 ft/lbs. Torque.

Here is a pic of the dyno sheet... he only revved the engine to 7700 rpm.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What are the best cams for this setup? (gsr/itr ex cam combo) I'm thinking of ditching the jrsc next year. What are the common problems with this kit? Bad bearings, oil leaks, belt slip, etc? I've had my jrsc since 2002 but the iats are too hot for extended use lol 150f iats cruising in the city on a 80 degree day.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by morepoop4u
What are the best cams for this setup? (gsr/itr ex cam combo) I'm thinking of ditching the jrsc next year. What are the common problems with this kit? Bad bearings, oil leaks, belt slip, etc? I've had my jrsc since 2002 but the iats are too hot for extended use lol 150f iats cruising in the city on a 80 degree day.
The Rotrex supercharger seems very agreeable to more cam overlap. The JRSC doesn't like it at all. So my advice would be to choose a relatively flat topped piston (ITR or P30 style dome or less) and a pair of ITR cams and springs if you want to stay in an OE product, or a medium level street/strip aftermarket cam. I have BC stage 2's in my engine... and something along that vein would be the right call. Skunk2 Tuner 2's, Pro 1's, Crower 402's... I think you get the idea.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Motorvations Motorsports knocks another one out of the park !!! This is another one of my friends' Road Race EK Civic Coupe. The engine is a GSR with a LS crank and long rod/custom piston geometry. 11.2:1 compression, BC Stage 2 cams, Alpha header and 3" exhaust. The blue line is the NA engine only tune... 201 WHP and 142 WTQ. The red line is after the belt was installed on the KW supercharger and tuned. Final Roller numbers were 376 Wheel HP and 237 lb/ft Torque at just under 14psi.

Enjoy.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

+100ftlbs everywhere! Bad ***
Old 01-14-2019, 11:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Thats a very good setup for retaining traction(climbing torque).It would be perfect for a time attack car. But thats it. A gt2871 setup with the same hp would crush it on the straight line..

Last edited by TheShodan; 01-15-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So does this not fit a B20B? Fitment B-Series Race Supercharger Kit
Old 01-15-2019, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Balor_Gr
Thats a very good setup for retaining traction(climbing torque).It would be perfect for a time attack car. But thats it. A gt2871 setup with the same hp would crush it on the straight line..
Maybe... but this isn't a "Turbo vs. Supercharger" thread. It is a KRAFTWERKS thread. Please don't hijack it... let's stay on topic.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mike457
So does this not fit a B20B? Fitment B-Series Race Supercharger Kit
I am not sure if it would actually fit in a CRV chassis, but it CERTAINLY will bolt up to a B20B/Z block in a '92-00 Civic or '94-01 Integra. Interestingly, the "Fitment & Specs" tab from the link that you have provided states that the system fits the '88-91 Prelude B20A... and I HIGHLY DOUBT that this would physically work on that engine... let alone inside the chassis.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am not sure if it would actually fit in a CRV chassis, but it CERTAINLY will bolt up to a B20B/Z block in a '92-00 Civic or '94-01 Integra. Interestingly, the "Fitment & Specs" tab from the link that you have provided states that the system fits the '88-91 Prelude B20A... and I HIGHLY DOUBT that this would physically work on that engine... let alone inside the chassis.
Oh that's pretty cool....just so happens I have a 94 Integra with B20B. They should definitely update their Fitment and Specs to include that engine and chassis combination, especially considering how popular that combo is. Anybody know about the CARB legality of that kit?

Quick Reply: KraftWerks B-Series Race Supercharger Kit (Unbelievable Gains!)