Notices

Car smoking....oil restrictor possibly?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car smoking....oil restrictor possibly?

Alright I have a built d16z6 with a precision sc34 turbo on it and a stealthmode oil feed kit on it (kit purchased from tunertoys.com). The motor has around 5000 miles on it most of them just normal driving miles because I'm not too hard on the car. Never saw the track just the dyno once for around 12 pulls. On the street I drive at around 19 psi on autometer gauge.

I had an old turbo kit (junkyard kit) on for like 4 months right after the motor was built. Ran good and all and got it tuned and it was fun and all but I wanted more. So I went with a nice kit including an SC34 turbo. The turbo was just recently rebuilt and was doing well....no smoke or anything. Then all of a sudden about a month later (maybe like 500 miles on turbo which didn't previously smoke) my car started smoking. It is a blue smoke with maybe a hint of white in it. It would smoke on decel and at WOT and into boost good (like 6 psi or more). I finally got pissed enough that I took it back off and got it rebuilt. It was fine for a few days then my car started smoking again during decel and when at WOT. Sometimes it even does it at idle if I had just been beating on it and then come to a stop in a parking lot somewhere it will just be billowing out blue smoke. I'm not sure what is causing the smoke. Don't think its valve seals (were just replaced when motor was built) rings are new only 5000 miles (JE pro seal rings). I have arp head studs and a 3 layer metal head gasket that doesnt seem to be leaking (no antifeeze leaking, no overheating).

My question is do you think my problem is that I don't have an oil restrictor which might be causing oil to pass through the seals in my turbo and my car to smoke?? Any help or previous experiences would be appreciated.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Car smoking....oil restrictor possibly? (delslo93)

sounds like to much oil pressure.. hit up atpturbo.com and get the .060" restrictor. that should stop the oil problem
Old 07-18-2006, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car smoking....oil restrictor possibly? (y7turbo)

so you do think its that I need an oil restrictor? any more opinions?
Old 07-18-2006, 08:12 PM
B A N N E D

i can make u a restrictor valve for 30 shipped lmk its getto but it work s and adjustable
Old 07-19-2006, 04:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car smoking....oil restrictor possibly? (spoon95eg)

bump...any more opinions on my smoking problem....car smoking problem that is
Old 07-19-2006, 11:27 AM
i HAS questions ?

I'm in pretty much the same exact position with an SC50 on a D16Y8. I'm going to throw an ATP restrictor on and see if changes anything.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

post pics of your return line. Sounds to me like a turbo problem if it billows out smoke at idle off and on.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car smoking....oil restrictor possibly? (SOHC_MShue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">post pics of your return line. Sounds to me like a turbo problem if it billows out smoke at idle off and on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah it will billow smoke at idle if I had just been in it pretty good and then stop and let it idle. If I first turn it on or casually drive it and let it idle it is fine.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:36 AM
i HAS questions ?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by delslo93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah it will billow smoke at idle if I had just been in it pretty good and then stop and let it idle. If I first turn it on or casually drive it and let it idle it is fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Same thing with me. Sometimes I wonder if the guy who welded the fitting to my oil pan got lazy and didn't put it exactly where I specified.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea so any pics of the return line?
Old 07-19-2006, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Car smoking....oil restrictor possibly? (SOHC_MShue)

Hows your crank case evac set up? I had a similar prob and a proper crank case vent solved the issue. Don't get all caught up in the catch can blah blah blah... try this, unplug your PCV and let your valve cover vent to atmosphere see if that helps any. If it does then you'll know where your problem is.

Old 07-19-2006, 12:08 PM
i HAS questions ?

Default Re: Car smoking....oil restrictor possibly? (sohc_turd)

My valve cover vents to atmosphere right now and my PCV is still in the black box, but the black box has a breather attached to the end of it, so it dumps to atmosphere as well.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car smoking....oil restrictor possibly? (sohc_turd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohc_turd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hows your crank case evac set up? I had a similar prob and a proper crank case vent solved the issue. Don't get all caught up in the catch can blah blah blah... try this, unplug your PCV and let your valve cover vent to atmosphere see if that helps any. If it does then you'll know where your problem is.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well where the PCV system was on the back of my block I put a fitting into the block and attached a line off of that fitting to my catch can and I have a line off of the valve cover to the catch can. So I did away with the black box on the back of the block like b series guys do. Basically what I did was bought a fitting (a genuine honda part) that usually screws into the back of b series blocks and got it turned down so it would press into my block and sealed it up with a sealant. It doesnt leak out of the block though so thats not the problem. And I do catch a little oil after hard driving in the can.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get a restrictor like everyone said, it's cheap so if it doesn't work it's not a problem but chances are it will, Stealthmode sells one for like $10 doesn't he?
Old 07-19-2006, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nonvtecD)

Yeah thats what im gonna do...probably order one here tonight or something
Old 07-22-2006, 02:05 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (delslo93)

same problem on my D. Post update to let us know if it helps
Old 07-22-2006, 02:20 PM
cuin9sec

Could be bad turbo seals, might need restrictor valve, or lastly make sure your return line is good to go. make sure it has the angle for the oil to fall straight down into the oil pan as much as possible.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm having the same problem with my b18c turbo . The engine and turbo only have 3500 miles on them and if i let my car sit when its warm it will start puffing blue/black smoke. I put in a resrtictor from atp and it still smokes. I'm gonna try and make a catch can set up and hope that fixes it..
Old 07-24-2006, 05:20 AM

Default Re: Car smoking....oil restrictor possibly? (jtracing919)

If it's smoked for too long, then the turbo seals are probably shot. I had the same problem, and the restrictor fixed it. I just had to let all the oil / vapors burn out before it'd stop smoking.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:56 AM
i HAS questions ?

Default Re: Car smoking....oil restrictor possibly? (Chris22215)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chris22215 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If it's smoked for too long, then the turbo seals are probably shot. I had the same problem, and the restrictor fixed it. I just had to let all the oil / vapors burn out before it'd stop smoking.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yours doesn't smoke at all now?
Old 07-24-2006, 07:02 AM

Default Re: Car smoking....oil restrictor possibly? (daveG)

nope
Old 07-24-2006, 07:10 AM
i HAS questions ?

Default Re: Car smoking....oil restrictor possibly? (Chris22215)

Ordered a restrictor, going to give that a shot and check out the return line as well.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car smoking....oil restrictor possibly? (daveG)

I'm just wondering...What is the determinant of wheather or not you need an oil restrictor? I mean some people are running them and some aren't. How do you know when you need them or not, or is it just a guess or you start using them when it starts smoking?
Old 07-24-2006, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by delslo93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm just wondering...What is the determinant of wheather or not you need an oil restrictor? I mean some people are running them and some aren't. How do you know when you need them or not, or is it just a guess or you start using them when it starts smoking?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i always use them. i make my own restrictors, ill give a t3 about 5psi on idle and 28-30 at redline.. for my engines oil pressure i had to make a .055" restrictor, thats smaller than the atp one.

but if it still smokes with the restrictor,a good return line, and a functional pcv system it would look like the turbo seals have failed.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Car smoking....oil restrictor possibly? (y7turbo)

As said, it needs a restrictor - just a -3an line isn't enough. I'd suggest the restrictor before the oil line so you don't have a jet spraying into the turbo. As for the reason it smokes, under med-high boost the air puts enough pressure against the seals on one side to keep oil in the other. Under decel you're at ~0psi in the turbo housing, while the engine is still pushing 60+ psi of oil into the turbo.

I took a fairly beat turbo, made my own .060" restrictor, and I've only seen a shade of blue once while reving. Its hard to sound the BOV with a small motor and bigger compressor, had to do it once

Quick Reply: Car smoking....oil restrictor possibly?