Notices

2015 CTR Petition for USA

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 2015 CTR Petition for USA

My only question is "if" this car makes it over here what's it going to cost? I'm guessing with limited production and after dealer mark up it will start at $32K.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the evo going out of production somebody else needs to step up to the small performance car plate. This would be perfect to take the fight to the focus st, wrx, and speed3
Old 04-16-2014, 04:17 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm getting really tired of this hybrid econobox ****, I miss the high performance cars.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:20 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by HYREV2NR
My only question is "if" this car makes it over here what's it going to cost? I'm guessing with limited production and after dealer mark up it will start at $32K.
To be honest, it sounds to me like they're trying to build it in North America.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:23 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Originally Posted by doctorake
No and no. a manual hatch and I would become a very serious buyer. Cash.
The project might be in jeopardy if people insist on a 6 speed manual. There's no need to homologate the six speed manual, so the CAFE figures would over ride everything, likely.

I haven't driven the 8 speed DCT, but I've driven the 7 speed DCT in the RLX Hybrid, and they did a very good job with it. The shifts are very, very quick but they are also much smoother than you'd expect, much smoother than Porsche and BMW.

With the RLX, they smooth it out with the electric motor that continues to power between shifts. They're trying to make the non-hybrid cars just as smooth with the addition of the torque converter.

I'd be with you in favoring the six speed manual if it seems logical to do it, but I would not insist on it because I think there's evidence that it is no longer logical.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xracer6
^ Your sig is funny lol but I hear the CTR will have INDEPENDENT suspension haha so no worries there!
Independent doesn't mean, well, anything, here. The twist beam is actually better than struts for a performance application due to the toe out under roll combined with the inherently high roll resistance.

The issue is anything else instead of the double wishbones Civics became famous for.

Originally Posted by George Knighton
I have a couple of questions for you.

(1) If this car is available in North America only with the 8 speed automatic (actually a DCT with a torque converter), would you still want it?

(2) If it ends up being built in the USA, but it has an Acura nameplate and it turns out to be either a coupe or a sedan instead of the UK/EU hatch, would you still want it?
No. DCT would be fine. Torque converter kills the deal. There is simply no excuse for such.

Absolutely not. There is nothing a sedan offers over a hatchback other than reduced functionality.

Originally Posted by George Knighton
The project might be in jeopardy if people insist on a 6 speed manual. There's no need to homologate the six speed manual, so the CAFE figures would over ride everything, likely.

I haven't driven the 8 speed DCT, but I've driven the 7 speed DCT in the RLX Hybrid, and they did a very good job with it. The shifts are very, very quick but they are also much smoother than you'd expect, much smoother than Porsche and BMW.

With the RLX, they smooth it out with the electric motor that continues to power between shifts. They're trying to make the non-hybrid cars just as smooth with the addition of the torque converter.

I'd be with you in favoring the six speed manual if it seems logical to do it, but I would not insist on it because I think there's evidence that it is no longer logical.
Logic would be to not even consider buying a tarted up Civic. These types of cars do not sell because they are a logical purchase. They sell when they satisfy an emotional need. So, for the most part, logic can be thrown out here.

Ignoring that, manual or CVT. Manual provides driver control. A CVT would allow increased performance (especially without boost loss during the shift that would never happen) and still cater to the wimps unwilling to truly drive. Some half-assed in between with clutches and a torque converter is just engineering masturbation, which, while cool to read about, is not a reason to purchase.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:01 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by CTCD5
With the evo going out of production somebody else needs to step up to the small performance car plate. This would be perfect to take the fight to the focus st, wrx, and speed3
The EVO is a different platform from the 15 civic type r. Bad comparison......
Old 05-15-2014, 05:05 PM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by TunerN00b
Independent doesn't mean, well, anything, here. The twist beam is actually better than struts for a performance application due to the toe out under roll combined with the inherently high roll resistance.

The issue is anything else instead of the double wishbones Civics became famous for.

No. DCT would be fine. Torque converter kills the deal. There is simply no excuse for such.

Absolutely not. There is nothing a sedan offers over a hatchback other than reduced functionality.

Logic would be to not even consider buying a tarted up Civic. These types of cars do not sell because they are a logical purchase. They sell when they satisfy an emotional need. So, for the most part, logic can be thrown out here.

Ignoring that, manual or CVT. Manual provides driver control. A CVT would allow increased performance (especially without boost loss during the shift that would never happen) and still cater to the wimps unwilling to truly drive. Some half-assed in between with clutches and a torque converter is just engineering masturbation, which, while cool to read about, is not a reason to purchase.
That will be up to Honda to decide whether they want to provide a DCT for the si/type r. I'll probably drive both and see how they feel. I just wanna give them a chance on improvements they've been R&Ding the whole time while selling there latest junk they call the civic si. Its so torqueless....
Old 05-16-2014, 05:47 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Its so torqueless....
And of course if they gave the torque down lower, they'd be slammed for doing away with the free spirited, high revving tune.

:-)
Old 05-16-2014, 10:53 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

They lowered the rev limit enough as it is in the 2012+ Si. They need more RPM to match the gearing they chose. Plus 6th is much to close to 5th to be of any real value. It is a shame that Honda has really lost their racing heritage in street legal vehicles.

Even still, they should pic a direction and run with it. All this trying to make a one car pleases all BS is really turning people off completely *cough* CRZ *cough*....
Old 05-25-2014, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

signed
Old 05-25-2014, 10:30 PM
Fish Twig

Not sure if you guys saw this update, the petition has been noted by Honda.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2014...NEWS/140319989

Theres no promises though but I have a feeling they are having an uphill battle right now with those damn bastards that deal with emissions.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:06 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

It has almost 15,000 signatures now. Almost 4xs the amount in the premature e-mail that was sent to Honda with. Once it hits 15k another e-mail should be sent by the petitioner.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:25 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Originally Posted by tony_2018
...an uphill battle right now with those [who] deal with emissions.
They still have the option to use the North American chassis and an American motor, eh.

If you ask me, that's the only solution to avoid sticker shock in the Canadian and US markets.

Who knows, though. I certainly don't.

What I *do* know is that I have yet to hear an adequate explanation for why Ohio has geared up to make some Civic-based cars.

They might be moving the Acura ILX there, but if that is what they are doing why do they think that Indiana will have to make so many more Honda Civics?

Another thing to think about is that the dollar to yen value has improved significantly enough that importing a Japanese built car might be a possibility, although a more remote one. They are able to sell the unpopular RLX Advance (MSRP 61,500) for 50,000 and still make money, the ratio's got that good.

I can't even pretend to know how this is going to end up, but even an idiot like me can see some possibilities for getting a CTR (whether it's a Honda or an Acura)!
Old 05-26-2014, 06:30 AM
H-T Order of Merit

The quality record at Ohio is quite good, by the way. Whatever is going on there should be solid.

The new TLX is coming from there.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:51 AM
Fish Twig

They should keep it within the Honda Lineup, Acura has the NSX. BTW the damn tsx wagon should at least get a v6 by now, what gives? That at least should've been an option.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:27 PM
Fish Twig

TSX is out of the line up, no more hopes for a v6 wagon....

Its also almost 3rd quarter and no clear sign of the type r. However if they are bringing back the hatchback maybe thats when the type r will be here, 2016.

Damn gotta wait another yr.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:03 PM
Trial User

I have signed and hope it can be done.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Signed.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Apparently Americans no longer purchase Honda hatches in sufficient numbers, and probably none will be offered. Especially hi-perf.
I think the EP3 fixed that for us.
I hope I'm wrong.
I would've been happy with the last one
Old 09-30-2014, 05:04 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Probably isn't going to happen...

Paris Motor Show: Honda Civic Type-R Concept is a turbocharged road rocket! - NY Daily News
Old 10-03-2014, 06:42 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just one of the many reasons why I want to go to Europe/Asia land..... They get all of the cool cars, we get econo-shitboxes that aren't any fun....

**** a hybrid, WE WANT TURBO POWA dammit
Old 10-08-2014, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Signed!
Old 12-19-2014, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did we actually win!!!!

US Honda Civic to get Type R engine

Can anybody get confirmation on this?
Old 12-20-2014, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 92cxyd
Did we actually win!!!!

US Honda Civic to get Type R engine

Can anybody get confirmation on this?
Don't know, but I would be interested in a CRZ with that engine.

Quick Reply: 2015 CTR Petition for USA