Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

Can HDS be run at home on a pc?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can HDS be run at home on a pc?

Does anybody know how to run a honda interface module with honda diagnostic software on a home pc that runs either xp pro or windows 7 pro? Is this possible? I would like to run the IAC diagnostic in the hds and also be able to capture data such as long term fuel trim, etc. I just bought an '04 accord lx, 2.4 liter, 5speed auto trans., 4 door sedan and I'm trying to get it running well.

I was looking at the "Installation Instructions for HDS PC Software" document at http://aetools.us/Docs%20and%20pdf/g...directions.pdf. It instructs the user as follows; "You must install and run the Electronic Parts Catalog on the PC before the HDS PC software can be installed."

Can HDS software run without the Electronic Parts Catalog?
Is the electronic parts catalog available for home use?
At the very least does anyone know how to run the HDS software at home without the availability of Honda or Dealer servers?

The reason that I ask is because I had a rough idle and I decided to go through all of the maintenance procedures for my '04 accord. So I cleaned the MAF sensor, changed the air filter, and changed the tranny fluid three times. Fuel economy improved dramatically but the idle was still rough.

It had helped a lot in the past on my other Accord so I decided to clean my throttle body and IAC valve. Suddenly the car ran a whole lot worse! The idle is searching and is running too rich with a P0507 code showing after the idle learn procedure.

I looked around on the web and found I had made a severe blunder. I had not bled the air from the cooling system. So I did that and the problem is greatly improved but it still runs badly at idle both in neutral and in gear at speed. I'm smelling unburnt fuel at idle so maybe it is the engine temp control sensor or maybe it is a very, very subtle vacuum leak (none detectable by stethoscope or by choke cleaner spray method.)

I could throw one part after another at this problem but I really want to know what HDS has to say about this with regard to the procedures in the shop manual (It's not always correct but I think it's the best place to start.)

The Honda shop manual is great but it keeps referring to the HDS (Honda Diagnostic Software) to do such things as running the IAC diagnostic procedure. The software and hardware do not seem to come in a package for the average weekend warrior like myself but I'm wondering if anybody has managed to get this to work at home on their own computer without access to Honda's network? The Honda Interface Module is widely available on Ebay and elsewhere so I was hoping that this had been done before. Anyone???
Old 01-12-2014, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Can HDS be run at home on a pc?

Yes, it can. I found a genuine honda MVCI on craigslist and put it together with a one day subscription from American Honda. The subscription for HDS only cost $10. The HDS software offers everything you could ever want to diagnose your Honda. It is just a giddy experience to be able to run deep diagnostics and to be able to view voltages and status of all sensors. No more digging through the engine compartment with a multimeter.

Got a lot for that 10 dollar subscription, too. My little MVCI now holds all programming and calibration tables for every OBD2 Honda up until yesterday's date. No need to use HDS software or anything other than the MVCI for CM/ECU updates from now on.

Honda HDS subscription found at... http://estore.honda.com/service-expr...criptions.asp#

By the way, I have to plug for one of our sponsors at this site. I got informed on the need for my CM update from a TSB service offered at honda-tech.com. That was thirty dollars well spent. I'm updating the CM at this moment and I may have to put up another post if it works out.

...Dave