Notices

Fully built b20b losing compression

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fully built b20b losing compression

Hello,

I apologize in advance for this longwinded essay...

I have a b20b bottom with Darton mid sleeves, golden eagle block guard, CP pistons and Manley rods. The head is a stock LS, turbo is a gt3071r. This is a freshly built motor for a boost application.

The build has been a headache to say the least. Upon first start up the seals on the hot side of my turbo blew out from excessive oil pressure on the wrong restrictor for a ball bearing turbo(journal turbine).

The car went to the tuners house to have the loose ends tied up, he did a great job. Problem was, the car still smoked a lot and dripped/puked oil from the down pipe. Blown turbo, logically, seems to be the culprit. A few 11psi passes were performed to shakedown the car, air to fuel was 11.1-11.3 during WOT. Again, this is a freshly built motor.

We pull the spark plugs to only find a ton of oil film and residue in the cylinders and on the plugs. I trailered the car back home from here to figure out what the heck happened. I also have oil seeping from the wastegate gasket on the ram horn as well as the turbo flange gasket. There is no oil in the compressor nor the intercooler piping.

My friends help me do a compression test, which went as follow..
#1=160psi
#2=220psi
#3=220psi
#4=155psi

Slightly alarmed, we tried a leak down. In cylinder #1 the pressure released through the down pipe. In cylinder #4 the pressure released through a nipple on the intake manifold.

Although I feel there is a chance the cam positioning was off for the test in cylinder #4, not allowing the valves to be truly closed, I feel strongly the test for cylinder #1 was correct.

Our last ditch effort was a valve adjustment. Some of the lashes were extremely off, conveniently in areas of the head that had poor compression and worse leak down results.

It didn't work, the compression test revealed the same numbers. Before I go ahead and rip this whole brand new assembly back out of my car and back into pieces to start over, what are some of your thoughts on the issue?

Should another compression test be tried with oil in the cylinders to see if rings are an issue? If compression remains the same would you blame the head? What're the odds I have two cracked ringlands on two forged CP pistons? What're the odds the oil is being splashed into the turbo manifold and the fumes being allowed in the exhaust valve on the head, if it's even possible? Would a blown turbo splash oil that far into a manifold? Could fumes being sucked through a valve in one cylinder cause oil residue/film to be in every cylinder?

I feel strongly I know what's wrong, but other opinions are greatly appreciated. I have a lot of money dumped into this build, irritating to not be able to truly enjoy it.

Thank you for your feedback.

Last edited by Coogiburr; 05-16-2016 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Error
Old 05-18-2016, 12:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Fully built b20b losing compression

Try removing the cams and do another leakdown test. This will eliminate any cam timing errors.

If you hear air through the oil fill cap, you know what that means... ��
Old 05-18-2016, 04:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fully built b20b losing compression

Originally Posted by PyroProblem
Try removing the cams and do another leakdown test. This will eliminate any cam timing errors.

If you hear air through the oil fill cap, you know what that means... ��
I appreciate it man. Going to drop a little tranny fluid in first to see if that eliminates piston rings as an issue then I'll remove cams and try a leak down that way. Thank you!