Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The DSS Stage 5's vs Pro-Drive Stage 1's Official Poll

Please pick out your favorite axle set-up...thanks
Old 10-21-2003, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: The DSS Stage 5's vs Pro-Drive Stage 1's Official Poll (D-Man)

gck
Old 10-21-2003, 05:46 PM
HT's Biggest Loser

Default Re: The DSS Stage 5's vs Pro-Drive Stage 1's Official Poll (turbotypeR)

Is this the unoficcial Official Pole? jk
Old 10-21-2003, 06:08 PM
saso

Default Re: The DSS Stage 5's vs Pro-Drive Stage 1's Official Poll (SIXTYdashONE)

I broke Pro Drive on a water burnout vs DSS stage 5 which has been taking over 500whp regularly. DSS 5 hand down
Old 10-21-2003, 06:19 PM
Trial User

Default Re: The DSS Stage 5's vs Pro-Drive Stage 1's Official Poll (saso)

yeah PD-1s and dss 5s arent even on the same page, perhaps you should be comparing PD-2's and Dss 5s

ill tell you what NOT to buy and that would be any TCI axle.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:36 PM
saso

Default Re: The DSS Stage 5's vs Pro-Drive Stage 1's Official Poll (jerseykid609)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jerseykid609 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">comparing the two side by side the dss stage 5 is the stronger of the 2 IMO</TD></TR></TABLE>

true
Old 10-21-2003, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The DSS Stage 5's vs Pro-Drive Stage 1's Official Poll (jerseykid609)

I have seen more people break dss than most other quote high performance axle, considering pro drives are not even rated the same. I have run the same axles in the crx for 2 seasons, the same one in the heavier more power full coupe for 1 season pro drive , besides atleast you can get oe parts for pro drive axles .Dss, you kinda are sol if you break and dont have a spare set... Jason
Old 10-21-2003, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The DSS Stage 5's vs Pro-Drive Stage 1's Official Poll (littlebluecrx)

i know charles from pacific was going 10s on stock axles. then he upgraded and on his very first run with them he snapped one right at the light.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The DSS Stage 5's vs Pro-Drive Stage 1's Official Poll (Gravy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Gravy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i know charles from pacific was going 10s on stock axles. then he upgraded and on his very first run with them he snapped one right at the light.</TD></TR></TABLE> That just makes you think that,some things are not better than factory , I still belive that on a lot of things, I had run factory axles in many cars local that have diped into the 10's...oe holds up that is for sure....
Old 10-21-2003, 07:18 PM
saso

Default Re: The DSS Stage 5's vs Pro-Drive Stage 1's Official Poll (Gravy)

Realistically do you guys know anyone that uses 28's slicks on stock axles. I use the Tilton Carbon/Carbon and I can tell you that clutch makes a huge difference also. I wouldnt pull up to the line on stock axles then again im not doin 8's I agree that the Pro Drive stage 1 cannot compare to the DSS 5 but I for one can say that the DSS stage 5 held up where the ProDrive could not. I must admit I have never used the PD stage 2 , I believe that John Brown uses them though. What we should be comparing is the price of the DSS 5 against the PD stage 1 or even the stage 2.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That wasn't a tough choice. DSS KICKS ***
Old 10-21-2003, 09:41 PM

Default Re: The DSS Stage 5's vs Pro-Drive Stage 1's Official Poll (MackSpeed-616)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MackSpeed-616 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ill tell you what NOT to buy and that would be any TCI axle.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sir Mack,
I am curious to the origin of your comment. I have used TCI axles all season, and have had great success!
Old 10-21-2003, 10:21 PM
Trial User

Default Re: The DSS Stage 5's vs Pro-Drive Stage 1's Official Poll (Bisimoto)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bisimoto &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sir Mack,
I am curious to the origin of your comment. I have used TCI axles all season, and have had great success!</TD></TR></TABLE>

You maybe had luck with them b/c your car weighs jack and ****? Launching a 2300lb car is alot different.

You are also sponsored by them so you probably get something better than what is sold to the public. Hell the "hybrid" setup you are running arent even sold to the public.
There are plenty of members of the board here that have seen me go through about a half dozen tci axles. Luckily most of these failures occured at NOPI events and TCI was on site to warranty them, until the Maple Grove event, where they threw in the towel and decided not to "waste" any more axles on me and left me out to dry.

The "300hp" set broke after 2 passes before the outer joints sheared off. These axles are w/o a doub MUCH weaker than stock.

The "500hp" lasted me about 10 passes, the beefed up outer joints havent failed, but the inners are the weak spot with this setup and those like to break off inside the trans.

The "500hp+" are the real jokers with less than 6 passes on those, again the weak spot on these are the inner joints. I have gotten more use out of stock inners. Just have to check them after every couple of runs and replace as needed.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The DSS Stage 5's vs Pro-Drive Stage 1's Official Poll (MackSpeed-616)

A little off topic butsince this is a axel thread...

What about the gator axels flamenco-t sells. How are those stage 3's compared to dss and pro-drive?
Old 10-22-2003, 01:41 AM
saso

Default Re: The DSS Stage 5's vs Pro-Drive Stage 1's Official Poll (flip1199)

My next axle will be the new DSS stage 6
Old 10-22-2003, 02:15 AM
HT's Biggest Loser

Default Re: The DSS Stage 5's vs Pro-Drive Stage 1's Official Poll (saso)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by saso &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My next axle will be the new DSS stage 6 </TD></TR></TABLE>

If anybody has ever seen the DSS stage 6's in person, They know how diesel they are. There fukin HUGE!
Old 10-22-2003, 02:35 AM

Default Re: The DSS Stage 5's vs Pro-Drive Stage 1's Official Poll (SIXTYdashONE)

hmm,your up early too I see Looks like DSS is by far the favorite.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:55 AM
HT's Biggest Loser

Yeah man, im up for work at 4am , but anyway, yeah, looks like alot of people like the dss'.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:01 AM

Do you know what the warranty difference is between the two? if there even is one??
Old 10-22-2003, 05:29 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MackSpeed-616 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You maybe had luck with them b/c your car weighs jack and ****? Launching a 2300lb car is alot different.

You are also sponsored by them so you probably get something better than what is sold to the public. Hell the "hybrid" setup you are running arent even sold to the public.
There are plenty of members of the board here that have seen me go through about a half dozen tci axles. Luckily most of these failures occured at NOPI events and TCI was on site to warranty them, until the Maple Grove event, where they threw in the towel and decided not to "waste" any more axles on me and left me out to dry.

The "500hp+" are the real jokers with less than 6 passes on those, again the weak spot on these are the inner joints. I have gotten more use out of stock inners. Just have to check them after every couple of runs and replace as needed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Such language!
My so called "hybrid set up" is available, and thats why I used TCI. It is made for the sohc civics. It is an assumption on your part that my units differ from the public offering.

My experience has been pleasant, and thus based on my data TCI axles are ideal.

Many variables come into play when analyzing factors for axle disintegration. One common, but often neglected, characteristic is the radical angle of the axle due to bad engine placement/mounting. Many swaps are notorious for having them.

By the way, thank you for the education on the differences between a 1605 and a 2300 pound race vehicle. I am also sure that you power levels exceed mine by a far margin, and that would not play a role either.
Old 10-22-2003, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bisi, gordon has a bad taste in his mouth since his multiple problems with tci axles. The support from tci was terric till mapple grove the tci rep had decided to not warranty the axle's anymore and hold on to them for a further look. at the last minute he gave em back to gordon after 1st round... Gordon drove all the way to fredericksburg va the night before " 4 hours one way" to get another tranny. That morning while helping him we discovered it was not the trans. We thought it was abusted diff, gordon could not get the passengers side axle out of the trans, thought the diff was busted as a result, turn's out the tci innner broke of at the spline inside the diff. Well 2 people holding the trans and a sledge hammer latter we poped the inner out. Turns out the tci inner broke at the spline. Gordons setup was a ls vtec in a integra using all factory mounts, his setup was nothing out of the ordinary, he now uses oe inners with no probs... I think there customer service was great up in till mapple grove, maybe the person that was running there both just did not explain things well, gordon is a record setter in his own right in his class, and was treated by the one particular person at mapple grove nopi event like he has a idiot" all his friends feel that way not people who dont know him " Jason
Old 10-22-2003, 05:44 AM
Trial User

Such language!

get over it

My so called "hybrid set up" is available, and thats why I used TCI. It is made for the sohc civics. It is an assumption on your part that my units differ from the public offering.

not an assunption, i must have been fed some bad info by TCI

My experience has been pleasant, and thus based on my data TCI axles are ideal.

Many variables come into play when analyzing factors for axle disintegration. One common, but often neglected, characteristic is the radical angle of the axle due to bad engine placement/mounting. Many swaps are notorious for having them.

my car isnt a "swap"

By the way, thank you for the education on the differences between a 1605 and a 2300 pound race vehicle.

anytime
I am also sure that you power levels exceed mine by a far margin, and that would not play a role either.

i dont claim to be making more power than your motor, i am not as ignorant as you appear to think i am, thank you for the sarcasm.
Old 10-22-2003, 05:53 AM

ahahaha...good for you.

I wish you the best on your endevours! Take care.
Old 10-22-2003, 05:59 AM
HT's Biggest Loser

Another classic Gordon vs the world post. hehe, Im determined Gordin will win one day
Old 10-22-2003, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ProDrive.....just make sure your using the proper stage for your setup. Oh and on the topic of big and fat.....Gun drilling a shaft for more strength is more practical than making them 2" around or so....a 1" shaft with a .5" gun drilled hole has 25% more torsional strength than a 1" solid shaft of the same material. As far as I knew DSS S5 were never gun drilled or maybe just the 2 sets we have here are not. As Jason says " your SOL" if you need to rebuild the DSS axles. The ProDrive setup uses off the self cages and ***** from larger axle setups. You should be inspecting the axles for wear often if your making serious power anyways. Half the damaged axles could have been prevented with maintance to the joints.

Howard

Quick Reply: The DSS Stage 5's vs Pro-Drive Stage 1's Official Poll