Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Tweeter install

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tweeter install

Wondering had anyone done a tweeter install on a hatch and whats the best way to go about it.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tweeter install

speaker with tweeter
Old 12-06-2009, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no looking to install tweeter into door panel
Old 12-06-2009, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

These are my oem Honda tweeters. Found them at a junkyard cost me 12 for both sides....
Old 12-06-2009, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ That doesn't look like a good place to put a tweeter.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is how I mounted them.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They are too low. Tweeters are very directional and will get lost down there. They should have been mounted up higher and directed right at a passenger or driver.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The car I recently purchased came withe a door panel with a tweeter hole:

I trashed it without hesitation...

Thanks for starting this thread as I am also thinking about better speakers setup.

Did anyone see or considered tweeter mounted on a pillar, where they are usually mounted? I know that there is not enough room between the pillar and the trim piece to make the speaker assembly sit flush, but with a low profile tweeter it wouldn't probably look worse than those ridiculous nitro gauges sometimes mounted there... Any opinion on that?

What about even higher location - somewhere by the visors? Too high?

I hope I am not thread-jacking.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nah your good just want a decent write up if someone has one
Old 12-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Eh, I only placed then there because I wanted to cover up the hold from my manual window regulator. I'll eventually move them after I find a better piece to fill the hole.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

put em in the air vents
Old 12-06-2009, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by radex7
The car I recently purchased came withe a door panel with a tweeter hole:

I trashed it without hesitation...

Thanks for starting this thread as I am also thinking about better speakers setup.

Did anyone see or considered tweeter mounted on a pillar, where they are usually mounted? I know that there is not enough room between the pillar and the trim piece to make the speaker assembly sit flush, but with a low profile tweeter it wouldn't probably look worse than those ridiculous nitro gauges sometimes mounted there... Any opinion on that?

What about even higher location - somewhere by the visors? Too high?

I hope I am not thread-jacking.
my old rex had them in the same location, i kept the tweeters when i junked the car there going in the same spot in my hatch
Old 12-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How do you go about making the hole
Old 12-06-2009, 07:18 PM
RESIDENT

Use a good ole fashioned hole saw. You can pick one up at any local parts store. Ace hardware, lowes, home depot. Mark where you want to put the tweeters, with the door panel off so you can make sure there is room behind the panel for the tweeter. You want to keep the tweeter with 18 inches of the door speaker. When you are about the make the hole have the drill going in reverse, having it in forward will grab the fabric on the door panel and rip it to ****. So drilling the hole in reverse will take a little bit longer but will have the install look ten times better and save your door panel. Now there are other ways you can install them, there is flush mount(looks the best) and surface mount. The installation of doing flush mount is actually pretty simple. Hope this helps you out
Old 12-06-2009, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hole saw would prob. be the easiest, you know the one you attach to your drill. You should also considering taping off the area to prevent vinyl damage. Or if that doesn't seem to be clean enough (I wouldn't know as I have never done it - but I like to tinker) I would prob. draw a circle first, then cut the vinyl out with something like exacto knife and drill/cut through hard plastic with just about anything.
In case you did not know the upper section of door panel (the soft one) is composed of three layers: hard plastic backing - maybe 1/8" thick, thin layer of foam, and a vinyl covering it all.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:22 PM
RESIDENT

Originally Posted by radex7
Hole saw would prob. be the easiest, you know the one you attach to your drill. You should also considering taping off the area to prevent vinyl damage. Or if that doesn't seem to be clean enough (I wouldn't know as I have never done it - but I like to tinker) I would prob. draw a circle first, then cut the vinyl out with something like exacto knife and drill/cut through hard plastic with just about anything.
In case you did not know the upper section of door panel (the soft one) is composed of three layers: hard plastic backing - maybe 1/8" thick, thin layer of foam, and a vinyl covering it all.
Right, thats why you just have the drill in reverse. It will not rip the vinyl
Old 12-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why dont you just put the tweeters on the dash with the little tweeter pod things that usually come with just about all component sets. this way you dont need to worry about running more wires through your door, and you can most likely achieve the best sound by bouncing the tweeters off the glass? im going to install mine this way
Old 12-06-2009, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by specialized108
why dont you just put the tweeters on the dash with the little tweeter pod things that usually come with just about all component sets. this way you dont need to worry about running more wires through your door, and you can most likely achieve the best sound by bouncing the tweeters off the glass? im going to install mine this way
Take some pictures!

Here is another creative yet off the wall location for those with powered mirrors and no mirrors at all ;-) mirror trim pieces! Something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-97...#ht_3110wt_981
Old 12-06-2009, 07:42 PM
RESIDENT

Originally Posted by specialized108
You could do that but you will get better sound quality keeping the tweeter and the mid closer together. Technically you dont need to run wires through the door. You could use the factory wiring going into the door hooking it up the input on the crossover. From there run a new set of wire inside the door to the mid and the tweeter.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

anyone ever make a fiberglass cover where the side mirror adjusters are? that way youre not messing up door panels...

maybe difficult to get around not having mirror adjustment arms... but id give up being able to adjust them from inside and just have someone adjust them once by pushing on the mirror directly.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:53 PM
RESIDENT

Originally Posted by Tyson
anyone ever make a fiberglass cover where the side mirror adjusters are? that way youre not messing up door panels...

maybe difficult to get around not having mirror adjustment arms... but id give up being able to adjust them from inside and just have someone adjust them once by pushing on the mirror directly.
Ive made a couple of sets and personally didnt like the way they sounded. You could really hear the difference from the tweet and mid. Sounded kind of hollow
Old 12-06-2009, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wanna go into the door cause it looks cleaner. And i have two crossovers i can install also
Old 12-06-2009, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by typerfit
Ive made a couple of sets and personally didnt like the way they sounded. You could really hear the difference from the tweet and mid. Sounded kind of hollow
ok, how horrible would it be if it was mounted on the plastic speaker grill then?

i REALLY wouldnt ever want to cut a hole in my door panels.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I plan to eventually make tweeter pods myself that install where the stock mirror adjusters are. Pretty much like the 96-00 Civic pods
Old 12-06-2009, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tyson

i haven't made a fiberglass cover for mine, yet, but i have my tweeters attached to the mirror cover. works fine for me since i installed working sedan power mirrors on my hatch.

Quick Reply: Tweeter install