Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

subwoofer break in

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default subwoofer break in

i'm not asking if the break in period is a myth or not. ive seen multiple threads about that argument. my question is, (whether or not its necessary) how do you do it? such as setting the amp/head unit settings? and they say low volume but that's not very specific. also, how long does it take to get broken in and how much different does it sound broken in vs new?

input would be appreciated. i was just curious because i never saw those specific questions answered. it always ends up talking about the "myth or not" topic. thanks.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: subwoofer break in

Oh goodness... This question is going to open a can of worms, Im sure. My opinion, just follow manufacturer recomendations... I've read reviews in car audio literature that have measured certain variables before and after a break in period, some subs have produced different results before and after a break in than others. The most common method, as you said, is playing at a low/normal volume, meaning, just don't kill the thing with power right outta the box for a week or two. I have read several articles where a very scientific method was used, for example, playing a 25 hz test tone at a certain power for a certain amount of time (usually 10-20 hrs).

You will never get a 100% correct answer on this question...

Last edited by joeymc13; 10-11-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Ive never done it. Just hooked them up and went, i have never had any problems with my subs.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

myth
Old 10-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

myth maybe, but i always do it for a couple of days so that the sub / speakers get used to moving, what's it gonna hurt to just let things break in?
Old 10-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobb2819
myth maybe, but i always do it for a couple of days so that the sub / speakers get used to moving, what's it gonna hurt to just let things break in?
This is true.
To be honest i never really thought about with my subs, but with my speakers cliff desgins, and infinity i gave them a little bit before i really turned it up.
After talking with my brother ( just got new subs) he said he always gives them 2-3 days without really pushing them hard.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by edzy
myth
once again, i'm not asking if it was a myth or not. lol...but yeah, does it really make a big difference in sound after the sub has been broken in (used long enough)???
Old 10-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There is no such thing as breaking in a sub....
Old 10-11-2010, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so if i doesn't exist, why do some speaker manufactures tell you to do it?!?!
Old 10-11-2010, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by akprelude99
once again, i'm not asking if it was a myth or not. lol...but yeah, does it really make a big difference in sound after the sub has been broken in (used long enough)???
Yes, it can make a difference. More difference on some subs vs others, read this article:

http://www.gr-research.com/burnin.htm

the article shows the results of a new woofer before and after a break in period. As I stated b4 however, every sub will act different with or without a break in, some just plain don't need it, others just really need their electrical and mechanical components stretched out when it's fresh off an assembly line.

If the manufacturer suggests it, then what does it hurt? But you specific question you asked was, "does it make a difference?" the only answer is, sometimes. Hince, the debat, is it a myth or not. That link shows that the particular sub the tested performed quite differently before the break in vs after. Not all subs react this way though.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you are rocking some cheap 200 dollar subs, just hammer them, when you step up to $700+ subs and 4500 watts each the break in is a good idea.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

breaking in subs is more of a sq oriented practice
Old 10-13-2010, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can i ask what your opinions of the L7 are?? is that an sq sub?? reason i ask is that most consider it to be an SPL or loud sub, however...Kicker says in the Manual to break in the sub. so...is it really just an SQ thing??
Old 10-14-2010, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dohcvtak
breaking in subs is more of a sq oriented practice
i would think it is the opposite, subs usually sound better when new, and sloppy when broken in.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow so much mis information in here.

Subs need to be "broken in" so that the cone,voice coil, and the materials holding this in place become more flexible.

Have any of you ever noticed that the cone is very stiff when you first put it in and after about a month or so it moves freely if taken care of. I dont remember how manytimes we had to replace a sub in the first week after a customer bought it(regardless of whether it was the budget sub or a 500$ sub) because they didnt let it loosen up first.

Yes you need to break in all subs, you can get away with playing it loud right off the bat but its your risk and some subs just cant handle that but some can. I have noticed that it is usually the rubber surround and stiffer cones that can handle it better than foam surrounds.

On the question about the L7's. I believe they are a great sub. I have installed many of them and they have been used in many different ways and i have been impressed by them almost everytime. Ive noticed that they are very punchy subs even in ported boxes supprisingly and when installed in a sealed box that the sound quality rivals many subs that are much higher in the price range. They are truly a dual use sub that not many others subwoofers can handle doing. There are some that are better for just being loud and there are some that will sound much cleaner but you wont find many that will do both at a decent level.

Just my opinion and hopefully this helped.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i wasn't asking about the quality of the kicker L7, i was using it as an example to prove what we were explaining. that if break in didn't exist, why would "allow for break in" be printed in the manual of a sub like an L7
Old 10-14-2010, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by xtremescouts
wow so much mis information in here.

Subs need to be "broken in" so that the cone,voice coil, and the materials holding this in place become more flexible.

Have any of you ever noticed that the cone is very stiff when you first put it in and after about a month or so it moves freely if taken care of. I dont remember how manytimes we had to replace a sub in the first week after a customer bought it(regardless of whether it was the budget sub or a 500$ sub) because they didnt let it loosen up first.

Yes you need to break in all subs, you can get away with playing it loud right off the bat but its your risk and some subs just cant handle that but some can. I have noticed that it is usually the rubber surround and stiffer cones that can handle it better than foam surrounds.

On the question about the L7's. I believe they are a great sub. I have installed many of them and they have been used in many different ways and i have been impressed by them almost everytime. Ive noticed that they are very punchy subs even in ported boxes supprisingly and when installed in a sealed box that the sound quality rivals many subs that are much higher in the price range. They are truly a dual use sub that not many others subwoofers can handle doing. There are some that are better for just being loud and there are some that will sound much cleaner but you wont find many that will do both at a decent level.

Just my opinion and hopefully this helped.
Yes the coil and cone are stiff

But, it doesn't hurt the sub if you bang on it right away.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

all we're saying is that it should be done. most engine builders will tell you not to freeway drive your car until about 500 miles and an oilchange, but people do test drives on the freeway and never think anything about it.

the cone is supposed to be stiff but the spider should be allowed to move smoothly.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how about for subs such as jl w3, rockford p3, alpine type r, mtx 7500/8500. these guys make pretty decent midlevel subs. would those require break ins? (hypothetically, or are they build good enough so that they don't "need" it.)
Old 10-15-2010, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

myth...I work concerts and when we use brand new PA systems...litteraly taken out of boxes and hung...we just start jammin. And those are $300,000 sound systems.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by akprelude99
how about for subs such as jl w3, rockford p3, alpine type r, mtx 7500/8500. these guys make pretty decent midlevel subs. would those require break ins? (hypothetically, or are they build good enough so that they don't "need" it.)
it's not a build quality thing, it's a stuff is stiff and needs to loosen up before you try to make it move a lot.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bainz610
myth...I work concerts and when we use brand new PA systems...litteraly taken out of boxes and hung...we just start jammin. And those are $300,000 sound systems.
different kind of speaker.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

um...sorry to burst your bubble, but a speaker is a speaker. the only reason i can think that they don't care about lifespan is because it's concerts, something doesn't work, they take a new one out of the box and go. as for in a car, you have only 5-7 speakers ON AVERAGE, so every little bit counts.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some subs need it....some subs are broken in at the factory....most the subs you guys buy are made in china garbage and it wont make any difference. rockford fosgate for example used to make all their subs in the factory in arizona...they do not anymore....they are chinese junk....kicker used to make their subs in house....now made in china.....there is very few companies who make a decent sq sub that actually need breakin anymore and usually they get broken in anyway at the factory during testing before shipment.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2k.civic.si
some subs need it....some subs are broken in at the factory....most the subs you guys buy are made in china garbage and it wont make any difference. rockford fosgate for example used to make all their subs in the factory in arizona...they do not anymore....they are chinese junk....kicker used to make their subs in house....now made in china.....there is very few companies who make a decent sq sub that actually need breakin anymore and usually they get broken in anyway at the factory during testing before shipment.
Agreed.

Quick Reply: subwoofer break in