Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Single DIN touch screen with VGA for laptop and output for audio

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single DIN touch screen with VGA for laptop and output for audio

I am leaning towards the xenarc idt700 but i have seen some bad reviews which makes me want to look at some others... however i cant seem to find any other products that do exactly what i want them to.

Here is what i need:

A single DIN touch screen (preferably 7 inch) which will fit into an EG dash without modification. It needs to have a VGA input, and a USB output which i will be plugging into an acer netbook, so i can use the touchscreen to both display and control the netbook. The purpose of all this is run smanager on the laptop and display my gauges from my s300, and also to be able to tune right from the dash if need be.

I would also like to have the following, although its not a deal breaker:

car stereo functionality, as in the unit controls my car speakers and has 2 rca outputs for a subwoofer, this way i can play music through the unit as a standalone stereo, OR possibly a aux input from the laptop to play music from it as well.

I know what i want, i just cant find the right product. Id appreciate any suggestions.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Single DIN touch screen with VGA for laptop and output for audio

Can't speak to quality of touchscreens, but I can say that if I were to mount a carputer, I'd go with standalone screen with vga/dvi and usb, then a separate head unit for the audio system. That way you can have a good quality HU and wire the audio from your netbook to the HU and the video from your netbook to the screen.

Just checked out the 700IDT. That thing looks pretty good, but I have reservations (I am PICKY). I like the high resolution and the remote turn on lead, which you could wire to the amp turn on lead (most likely, would need to check amp ratings, but they probably designed it that way)

The one thing I don't like about it is that it has a resistive touchscreen. If you can I might try to find a capacitive touchscreen.

One more thing... your netbook's video card more than likely will not be able to keep up with the 1600x1200 resolution. No visualizations, definitely no HD video. You will need to go with one of the lower HD resolutions, but even then you're not going to be able to output a 1080p signal for alot of purposes. 720p should work fine though.

If it were me, I'd look for a 1280x720 screen (or anything around that range in 16x9) with a capacitive touchscreen. That would suit your needs perfectly, plus you'd have the possibility of multitouch when windows 8 comes out. Tether a rooted droid and you get pandora, facebook, and Honda-Tech!