Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Recommend on speaker?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommend on speaker?

I have a 2000 type r, I m more into racing, so don't want to run the sub, so I want to get the most bass out of the 6.5, currently I got kenwood bt945u deck, and alpine type s 6.5 componet, and Rockford 6.5 3 way on back, I thought about dropping my kicker 6.5 2way on back, but not sure, my rockford is over powering the front, and it sound great on low to mid level but when I really crank it then it start the sound like crap.

What speaker should I use and should I run a amp? I want a good bass, cuz I kinda just hear the mid and high and little bit of bass, I jut want good sound and little bit bass, kinda mix all the way around.

When I have my 97 prelude. I hve kicker 6x9 3 way on bck and it sound exactly what I looking for.

My other option is to have a light weight sub setup, not a huge speaker or amp, any suggestion? Thabks
Old 02-06-2011, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Recommend on speaker?

Sorry to break it to you friend...but if you want good bass your going to need a sub, midrange speakers and components are only going to pierce your ears. There is such a think as 6.5" woofers but the depths are typically too deep to mount appropriately.

Your best bet would be a shallow-mount SW solution such as kenwood, and put it under your seat. they're pretty slim...something like 2.5" height, made to fit under most car seats.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You probably need better enclosures for your speakers. You could also look into the compact, powered subwoofer offerings.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:29 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I drive a 94 Integra as a DD and and autocross, [only in summer now] I was also concerned with weight so I run an Alpine HU and 4 Eclipse 6.5" coax speakers, tweeters disabled, [removed] on the rears, time and effort was spent on the install, front door plastic speaker housings were replaced with custom MDF housings.

The rear speaker brackets were replaced with custom MDF and fiberglass cabinets, front and rear speakers are mounted in stock locations behind stock grills, doors are Dynamated some Dynamat was also used in the rear along with some spray "dampening", stock speaker wiring was used, the stock radio harness was used, except for the 12V constant, [a fused 10ga was run from the batt.] and a HU chassis to car chassis ground was added, [metal back brace].

SQ is very good as is bass response, I have been accused of having a hidden sub and amp or the rear speakers are subs with a hidden amp, not so.

The SQ comes from a good quality, properly installed HU driving properly installed speakers, huge amounts of wattage are not needed to get good SQ with decent bass, the Alpine HU puts out a true 4x25W RMS into 4 ohms, SQ and bass are in the "install" 94
Old 02-07-2011, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

fcm hit the nail on the head. install is what makes a setup sound good. all the money in the world spent on product and a crappy install will sound like a crappy install.