Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

help wiring amp

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help wiring amp

hi, i was wondering if anyone here would be able to help me with giving directions on how to wire up my amp, or if theres any good sites out there that give good directions. I have a kenwood KAC-7201 2 channel amp, and a lightning audio amp wiring kit. The wiring kit only came with 1 set of RCA cables....maybe thats all that i need? my deck has 2 or 3 preouts...i forget. My deck is a kenwood KDC-V7017. any an all help would be good. I'm wiring up two kenwood 2505 subs (10" tornados) to the amp.

thanks in advance!!
Old 04-14-2003, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help wiring amp (STARRMAN85)

It's pretty simple:

The RCA's go straight from your Head Unit to the Amp. Use the subwoofer output on the head unit, or if there are none specifically for a sub, the rear channel will work, since your amp probably has a built in crossover anyway.

The power wire (Probably a 15 ft red wire) will go from the positive terminal of the battery to the positive of the amp.

The ground wire (short black or brown wire of equal guage to the red one mentioned above) will go from the amp ground to any part of the cars body pretty much. Its good to scrape away the paint in the area you're grounding too.

The remote wire (little thin blue one probably), needs to be crimped, twisted, or soldered to the remote wire coming out of the head unit (it normally controls the antenna as well). This then goes into the designated remote area of the amp.

Then of course you have your speaker wire to the amps. Since it's a 2 channel amp you can just run one pair of wire to each speaker from the amp. Thats the simplest way. Or you could bridge the wiring, that method differs by the amp and increases your total output, but effectively squares your distortion. Most amps have a bridged option where you just pull the positive from one channel and the negative from the other channel (should be indicated), this would require 2 ohm speakers or an 8 ohm amp. Your amp I beleive is expecting 4 ohm per channel, which is exactly what I beleive your speakers are providing.

Hope this helps

Old 04-14-2003, 09:14 PM

Default Re: help wiring amp (jolt-tsp)

wow, thats a lot of info...thanks!!! i'm planning on wiring my car tomorrow i think...we'll see. i'll also look again at the specs of the subs and amp, but the subs are 150RMS/600 peak, and the amp is rated at 800 watts. 150rms per channel i believe. so its perfect. but i'll post up the specs tomorrow. thanks again for the info!
Old 04-15-2003, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Should sound pretty good. One thing, do you have full coverage on the car? If you do, be sure to anchor the subs to the car somehow. I suggest cutting a peice of plywood to the shape of the cardboard cover that goes across your trunk and screwing the box to that. If your stuff gets stolen and it wasn't physically attached to the car, the insurance will try to screw you.

My stuffs been stolen twice, so just letting you know from my experiance
Old 04-15-2003, 09:17 AM

thanks for the heads up...but for now, i just have liability only. when this insurance plan is over though, i'm gonna see how much full coverage would be.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sure thing. It beats sleeping in your car with a shotgun
Old 04-15-2003, 04:24 PM

well, i wired up the amp today, wasn't too difficult, just a bitch, and lots of time. spent like 4 hours working on it today. i haven't finished my box yet tho for my tornado's, so i just threw in my 10" jensen sub to test it out. sounds good with one, cant wait till i put 2 in there. i'll have pics up of the amp install later tonight.