Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Clifford AvantGuard 5.1 or IntelliGuard 770

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 11:32 PM
j@y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clifford AvantGuard 5.1 or IntelliGuard 770

I'm really new to the alarm thing but I want the best alarm I can get in the market. I have another thread stating something about LoJack but I gave up on that due to it being really expensive and limited. So Clifford has my attention right now and I was wondering what are the differences between these two alarm models?

My car:
-3rd gen Integra GSR
-manual

So I want the best possibly security for it. If you have any other recommendations, feel free to tell me. I read suspendedHatch's thread on "which alarm to get" and these alarms look promising. But...I've been reading problems about something about manual transmission cars may have a problem with these alarms (?). Also, what are the average prices on these alarms with the installation?

Thanks!
Old 10-11-2007, 11:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Clifford AvantGuard 5.1 or IntelliGuard 770 (j@y)

If your really concerned about security. get the 50.5x and th clifford 210c tracking system. In our time there has to be som sort of tracking in th car no. The clifford unit is a true gps and not a beakon like the lo-jack. Top it off with stealth install. And you have a perfect combo.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:58 PM
j@y

Default Re: Clifford AvantGuard 5.1 or IntelliGuard 770 (wrx-killer-Sti-eater)

I was about to edit my post about the 50.5x. I was just reading about it. What is exactly different about these three models? Is the 50.5x more expensive? Seems like it because it has a LCD screen. Sorry about all these questions, I'm just getting ready to find a dealer who can hook me up and install it professionally.

EDIT: Also, what is blackjax? It sounds really special and the 50.5x doesn't have that.
And...what about the MATRIX 12.5X model? Like I stated before, I don't need remote start so is this just as good as the 50.5x?
Old 10-12-2007, 12:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The 50.5x has better range. And the black jax is a anti car jack device. The 50.5x and th 20.5x arebth the same except the remote start. For some reason the 50.5x has better range and is the same cost.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:31 AM
j@y

About the blackjax, what kind of anti-theft device are we talking about, killswitch? Is it something special? So the 50.5x and 20.5x cost the same? If so, then thats the obvious choice! I can get the 50.5x without remote start right?
Old 10-12-2007, 12:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is what you need, 50.5x, Clifford 210c, dei 520t, 2 mini piezo sirens. 1 in the car and one in the fender with the siren. It becomes loud and draws a lot of attention. Full stealth in stall with min relay relocated and killed. That is the current set up on all my cars. And is what I recommend to anyone that's wants to protect there car to the fullest. you can add extras like proxy, tilt, but to me are a waste sometimes.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:27 AM
j@y

How much did this set up cost you?
Old 10-12-2007, 05:42 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You ALWAYS should add tilt, why anyone would not recommend it I don't know.

I had blackjack on my old Clifford (A great unit BTW, G4) before they were bought out by DEI. You can find info on the website about it. Basically if you open the door while the car is on, then close it and drive off you have to enter your pin or the car will shut off about 30sec later. This way if you are jacked at gun point you have nothing to worry about. If you want it now you have to get the G5 and it does not have the SST 1 mile strength

I totally wish Clifford would have stayed separate from DIE because IMO they were the best. Not much you can do now...
Old 10-12-2007, 05:43 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by j@y &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How much did this set up cost you? </TD></TR></TABLE>
Roughly 1200 installed for everything with a reasonable hookup...
50.5x, Clifford 210c, dei 520t, 2 mini piezo sirens. 1 in the car and one in the fender with the siren. Since you are in cali I would have wrx-killer-Sti-eater or suspended hatch do the install for you as it does not seem like you could tackle this on your own.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wrx-killer-Sti-eater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is what you need, 50.5x, Clifford 210c, dei 520t, 2 mini piezo sirens. 1 in the car and one in the fender with the siren. It becomes loud and draws a lot of attention. Full stealth in stall with min relay relocated and killed. That is the current set up on all my cars. And is what I recommend to anyone that's wants to protect there car to the fullest. you can add extras like proxy, tilt, but to me are a waste sometimes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Love my proximity sensor though.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:39 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by j@y &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm really new to the alarm thing but I want the best alarm I can get in the market. I have another thread stating something about LoJack but I gave up on that due to it being really expensive and limited. So Clifford has my attention right now and I was wondering what are the differences between these two alarm models?

My car:
-3rd gen Integra GSR
-manual

So I want the best possibly security for it. If you have any other recommendations, feel free to tell me. I read suspendedHatch's thread on "which alarm to get" and these alarms look promising. But...I've been reading problems about something about manual transmission cars may have a problem with these alarms (?). Also, what are the average prices on these alarms with the installation?

Thanks!</TD></TR></TABLE> You may also want to look at Compustar alarm/remote start combo units, [manual transmission capable, the DEI units are not, without added module] add CompuTrack, and your there.
You can also add other single or dual stage sensors, [tilt sensor or proximity sensors... http://www.compustar.com/ 94
Old 10-12-2007, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clifford AvantGuard 5.1 or IntelliGuard 770 (suspendedHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Love my proximity sensor though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I love mine too, dual zone proxy ftw. Too bad I always have tinted windows though

My two cents - If a paging alarm is more important to you, get the 50.5x, if you want remote start, get the AG5.1 or the Intel770. Either one can utilize the 210C, so just get whichever one has the feature is more important to you.

I personally have an intel8000 and an Avantguard5 on my cars. "Safe" remote start is a big deal to me since it gets pretty cold up here. I like that G5 alarm's give you start and ignition kill too
Old 10-12-2007, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clifford AvantGuard 5.1 or IntelliGuard 770 (8520)

Yes, compustar has a flaw

I love my proxy but it sucks ***** when it rains. IF you can afford it then add it. But alot of my honda customers are on a budget. So thats why I don't push it. I don't push tilt because if you set up a shock sencer right it will go off if your trying to take off the wheels. And most theives that are trying to steal rims while they are on a car would try to pop the hood and disco the battery in turn setting off the alarm.

Sorry, I got a bottle of hennessy and sat up thinking about all kinds of ways to steal a honda. and how they would go about it. Then i came up with more was to **** them off and help keep theft rates low or none at all.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:49 PM
j@y

Doesn't the 50.5x have an ignition kill?
Old 10-12-2007, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by j@y &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Doesn't the 50.5x have an ignition kill?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but all dei products (except for the clifford G5 series) come with just a starter kill, not an ignition also.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:06 PM
i my honda
Global Mod

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 8520 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but all dei products (except for the clifford G5 series) come with just a starter kill, not an ignition also.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It takes all of 10 min to add a relay to the fuel pump or ignition triggered by the ground while armed wire. You would have to hook these wires up with the compustar or any other alarm anyway. But with the compustar you have to run those wires ALL the way to the alarm. With DEI you just put the relay right there in-line and run one trigger wire. Relays are 2-10$ a piece.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clifford AvantGuard 5.1 or IntelliGuard 770 (White Smoke)

Well obviously you can use the ground when armed wire, but the common relays used are 30amp where iirc the ignition lead (on most hondas) has a 50amp fuse.

Granted I don't know what the average draw on an ignition wire is, but yeah
Old 10-12-2007, 02:19 PM
i my honda
Global Mod

If you don't wanna spend more for the 40-50amp relays then just put the relay on the ground wire to the car's main relay
Old 10-12-2007, 02:26 PM
j@y

Default Re: Clifford AvantGuard 5.1 or IntelliGuard 770 (White Smoke)

Wow, I can barely understand what you guys are talking about haha, but it sounds like something I'd like to do.

I could care less about trunk pop and a remote start and I'm looking for something that will tell me that someone is messing with my car (like a beeper and vibration) so does the Clifford 50.5x suit my needs more than the CompuStar 2WSSR? I plan on getting GPS for my car later on so which company is the best to stick with in this case? Thanks everyone for all the kind info!

Modified by j@y at 3:55 PM 10/12/2007
Old 10-12-2007, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wrx-killer-Sti-eater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is what you need, 50.5x, Clifford 210c, dei 520t, 2 mini piezo sirens. 1 in the car and one in the fender with the siren. It becomes loud and draws a lot of attention. Full stealth in stall with min relay relocated and killed. That is the current set up on all my cars. And is what I recommend to anyone that's wants to protect there car to the fullest. you can add extras like proxy, tilt, but to me are a waste sometimes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Use a 30 amp relay, You need to have somene do this for you because it seems that you are to confused to do this for yourself. The alarm comes with a starter kill relay. But what the point of a starter kill on a 5 speed. The alarm will activate what ever kill switches you have on the car if you wire it right.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:54 PM
j@y

Are these the mini piezos?
http://cgi.ebay.com/CAR-ALARM-...wItem
Is that a good price? Thanks.

And the DEI 520T battery?
http://cgi.ebay.com/DEI-520T-V...wItem

Good idea to purchase through ebay?
Old 10-12-2007, 03:56 PM
fcm
Old Fart

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by j@y &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow, I can barely understand what you guys are talking about haha, but it sounds like something I'd like to do.

I could care less about trunk pop and a remote start and I'm looking for something that will tell me that someone is messing with my car (like a beeper and vibration) so does the Clifford 50.5x suit my needs more than the CompuStar 2WSSR? I plan on getting GPS for my car later on so which company is the best to stick with in this case? Thanks everyone for all the kind info!
Modified by j@y at 3:55 PM 10/12/2007</TD></TR></TABLE>
The 2WSSR is a remote, if your not looking for remote start go with the Compustar 2W900FM-A, [2way alarm] stay away from the new "Pro" line, they still have some "glitches' to work out.
The Compustar 2WSS-A has twice the range, [6000 ft] of the 2W900FM-A, [3000 ft] but also 1/2 the batt. life for the remote.

Also if just looking for an alarm it's a real toss up between Compustar and DEI, if remote start is something you want, then the Compustar has the advantage, both Compustar and DEI have well made, dependable products.

One more thing, whatever you decide to get, get it at an authorized dealer, the "savings" that you think you get from unauthorized Internet sites and eBay will fizzle the first time you have any kind of problem.

You will not get any manufacturers warranty, no matter what they say.
Any warranty you get is pretty much useless once the alarm has been installed.
If you have it installed, even if it is at an authorized dealer, you will pay more, and any problems with unit will not be covered under warranty.
There is no guaranty you are buying a new unit, not a refurb, a recalled or even a real brand name unit, [look a like fake].

Support your local authorized dealer, buy and have it installed, you will get lifetime warranty on the unit and the install, and if you have a problem, you have a face to deal with, not an Email site. 94
Old 10-12-2007, 04:17 PM
j@y

Default Re: Clifford AvantGuard 5.1 or IntelliGuard 770 (fcm)

Yeah, I was already planning on purchasing the actual alarm at an authorized dealer to get the warranty but I was wondering maybe I could save money on those piezo horns and battery since it's not part of the alarm and possibly have the dealer install them when they install the actual alarm system. Some dealers do that right? But if not, I don't think I'd have a problem hooking up a battery and two horns.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:47 PM
fcm
Old Fart

The same would go for the backup batt, [not something you want to have a problem with] the piezo siren wouldn't be a problem, cheap enough to just replace if you have a problem, although IMO piezo sirens are overrated, they really do not cause any pain, unless maybe used as head phones, put a 2nd or 3rd hidden siren in instead. 94
Old 10-12-2007, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have 5 ebay back up batteries sitting right here that will not hold a charge. And I sent the other back to the members to have them exchanged from there ebay seller. None have gotten a exchange yet. And 15 mini piezo siren here that went out in less then a month. You can buy them and have a dealer put them on. But be prepared to shell out more cash when the ebay crap goes out. Save now ends up being paying later.

Quick Reply: Clifford AvantGuard 5.1 or IntelliGuard 770