Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Alarm Pager Malfunction..What Are Your Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 02:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm Pager Malfunction..What Are Your Thoughts?

Ok here's the deal...I needed some kind of security before my car gets jacked...I went to an audio/security business and got a Crimestopper alarm with shock sensor and pager alarm....I consider it two way but some consider it a 1 way pager system...has the LCD display that shows how many times it's warned someone and how many times the alarm went off and where on the car it was being shocked from. Sensitivity is turned up max and I love it...I love the entire alarm system but I have one problem:

Every once in a while.. (no symptoms as to when/where it will happen) the pager stops corresponding with the alarm system....now when I say this I mean it will not arm/disarm the vehicle....however, say I arm it and then it looses it's connection and I trip the alarm...my pager still receives the signal from the alarm and tells me what's going on and will even let me silence it...but it will not let me arm or disarm it. The only way I have been able to get it to communicate with the alarm again is to remove my friggin dash..unplug the brain to it...let it reset for about 30 seconds and plug the brain back in and all is fine. This is obviously a problem and too much trouble to go through for something that shouldn't happen. I have replaced the battery in the pager itself. I've tried using the valet button as the manual states and reprogramming the pager remote to the brain but it still does it here and there. Mind you when this happens...even the sidekick remote (the backup one with no LCD display) won't connect to the alarm system itself either and I don't know if it's interference...if there needs to be a new code programmed to the alarm or what...what are your thoughts. I'm taking it back to the installer today to see what he thinks but I wanted some general opinions first please...

*CLIFFS*
-Pager looses connection with alarm system and will receive notification of tampering but will not arm/disarm the system

-Does not have specific areas/times/anything as to when/where it does it

-Girlfriend got the EXACT SAME MODEL installed on her Celica and it has NEVER done this and my pager and her pager have NEVER messed with each others vehicle.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:20 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Alarm Pager Malfunction..What Are Your Thoughts? (bart2546)

First thing I would look at is the alarms ant., make sure it's plugged in, [at both ends] properly. 94
Old 04-14-2007, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Alarm Pager Malfunction..What Are Your Thoughts? (fcm)

Thanks...deffinitely is. I checked the whole way from brain to actual antenna and nothing is crimping it or has cut it....it did the same thing yesterday but to the lesser extent. It wouldn't communicate with the system so I had to make the alarm warn and then it went back to normal.....I'm lost.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:25 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Alarm Pager Malfunction..What Are Your Thoughts? (bart2546)

The alarms symptoms indicate that it is latching up, when an alarm, [or any microprocessor controlled device, pretty much] starts doing "funny stuff" but still works somewhat, it is almost always a grounding problem, or possible a power problem.

I would have a very close look at the alarms main power and ground leads, make sure they are connected properly, power should be soldered to it's source wire, the source circuit should be one that is not in use when alarm is armed, no other powers for alarm or it's accessories should be connected to that circuit.

Ground should be to chassis, using ring terminal that is soldered to ground wire, although other alarm or alarm accessories can be, [and should be] grounded at the same point, [star grounding] no other grounds should be connected to the alarm ground at any point along it's length, other then at the ring terminal. 94