Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

The Father/Son Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 01:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Father/Son Project Build

UPDATES ON EVERY PAGE

10/27/07: Motor is in! Pics on page 5.

I should have started this build thread a long time ago, when my Dad and I started ripping parts out of the car, but I was lazy. Luckily I took a bunch of photos to document our progress, just in case if I ever started a build thread. Now, recently since it seems like everyone is making a build thread, I'll join the bandwagon and make one too.

My dad bought a 89 CRX SI right off the showroom floor from Ken Dixon Honda in Waldorf, MD. The hatch was been passed down from sibling to sibling.. By the time I got the car, it wasn't worth putting a good motor in a poor condition car

The black CRX is the future shell for a b18c. Sorry for the not so good looking pics. This isn't APC, and these are the only ones I had. After a good wash, looks minty fresh. Pics:

As far as automotive mechanic skills and experience goes, were confident we can pull it off. A motor swap would be a big project, but there's no rush and plenty of resources when you get stuck. I already had some experience, helping out friends on their swap. On to the pics.

Front end off:

Motor ready to be pulled

Pops and I

Motor out:

Plans with the d16: Try to sell it, or clean it up, rip it apart, and attempt a rebuild. Then possibly d-series turbo? We'll see.

New Powerplant: We decided on the B18C. It's from the siR-G JDM Integra 94-95 Spec, coupled with a Y80 LSD hydro tranny. Decent numbers, 180/130. Got the complete swap from HMO with HASport mounts, shift linkage, and axles. My dad's a big fan of large displacement, and wanted to do a CRVTEC, but as of right now, building it "correctly" is out of our skill level. Maybe next summer.

Wiring was done by Rywire. We thought we could do it, but definately not. After looking at the wiring diagrams for OBD0 to OBD1, we didn't trust ourselves, so we sent our SI harness to Rywire.

Shipped to the house, right after it came off the freight truck:

Everything we got from HMO:

Wheel and Tire Combo:

Other components going into the car that I don't have pictures of:
-RS*R Exmag catback exhaust
-Integra DA Radiator
-Oddesey PC680 lightweight battery
-Some time of short ram intake/cold air intake. Probably just get something from egay.

With these mods, were expecting to make sub 15 second pulls, hopefully mid 14's, but we have no experience on the track.

Part's were getting this week:
GSR Cluster w/ plugs
Electronic VSS 3 wire plug
Helm's Acura Integra 94-01 Manual.

Future plans:
- Some type of suspension setup. I'm thinking Koni Yellow's with Ground Control Coilover's but were not to familiar with suspension set-ups. (My dad thinks the stock suspension is Godlike, but I can't stand the 4x4 stance)

Just to let other people know, doing a swap is NOT that difficult. Make sure you have a Helm's manual and have some patience. Use Honda-Tech as a resource, search, post threads, and don't get butt-hurt if you get flamed, there are always hater's out there. [b]The FAQ is key.[/bb]

***UPDATE-10/15/07***
Over the weekend, we dented in the frame rail and rear cross member for the motor to fit. We took out the AC condenser, took out the seats, and deep vacuumed the interior. The Exmag II exhaust came, and they gave us a free RS*R shirt! They also sent RS*R license plate frames...dunno if I'm going to put those on though. We bought split wire loom from AutoZone to cover up the engine harness, and make things look a cleaner. We zip-tied parts of the harness as well to have a cleaner look, not just a cluster *** of wires. I'm trying to find some Simple Green Engine De-Greaser, so I can clean the engine bay. Also I bought the GSR cluster today, hopefully it will be in by the end of the week. That's all for now, more updates next weekend.

Modified by gursh d at 9:31 PM 3/30/2008
Old 10-14-2007, 02:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Father/Son Project Build (gursh d)

good luck with the build. thats cool yours dad is into it as well. mine gives me **** for building my crx lol.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Father/Son Project Build (Bsixteen_CRX)

Looks like a great start .

Definitely invest in the GC/Koni combo though. Even with the stock valved Koni's and some moderate rates on the GC's you'll feel a world of difference . Hell, if your dad feels the stock setup is "Godlike," try throwing a 22mm rear sway into the mix. let's just say sub-2000 pound car + the aforementioned setup will light up a grin from ear-to-ear .

Btw, clean that engine bay!
Old 10-14-2007, 03:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Father/Son Project Build (1989CivicSi)

Old 10-14-2007, 03:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: The Father/Son Project Build (JKGONZALEZ3)

Oh My God! This build is just starting as I am leaving for a week. I can't wait to see what you have done when I get back.

so far, so good!
Old 10-14-2007, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Father/Son Project Build (STREETWERKZ)

Looking good. Awesome that your pops is into it aswell.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice build man !!
Old 10-14-2007, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice! Good to see pops and son wrenching together!!
Old 10-14-2007, 06:28 AM

Default Re: (CWBETB)

Looking good, keep the thread updated as well as you can.

Subscribed!
Old 10-14-2007, 06:30 AM

Default Re: The Father/Son Project Build (gursh d)

What is the green car in the foreground?

Old 10-14-2007, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Father/Son Project Build (1989CivicSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1989CivicSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looks like a great start .

Definitely invest in the GC/Koni combo though. Even with the stock valved Koni's and some moderate rates on the GC's you'll feel a world of difference . Hell, if your dad feels the stock setup is "Godlike," try throwing a 22mm rear sway into the mix. let's just say sub-2000 pound car + the aforementioned setup will light up a grin from ear-to-ear .

Btw, clean that engine bay! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, it seems like GC/Koni combo is popular in the AutoCross forum. For the next couple weeks, I'll be living in the Suspension forum, trying to get a better idea on what's the best combo for what we are doing.

Thanks for reminding me about the engine bay. Is there any special cleaner I can get from an auto store, or do people just use a wet rag when they clean the engine bay?
Old 10-14-2007, 08:06 AM

Not trying to be a dick or anything...

If you care enough to black out the license plate in some of the pictures...make sure you do it in all of them

You can even see the trucks plate reflecting off the Rex's bumper.

EDIT: When you were in the engine bay with your dad...did you have to use the bathroom? Just a hunch.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DenzComp)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DenzComp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If you care enough to black out the license plate in some of the pictures...make sure you do it in all of them </TD></TR></TABLE>

True, didn't even cross my mind. Their old pics, and the one that's crossed out went on other web board I think. The car isn't registered under those tags anymore anyways.

Oh well, gives the HT stalkers something to do I guess.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DenzComp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
EDIT: When you were in the engine bay with your dad...did you have to use the bathroom? Just a hunch. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Mang, I wasn't ready for the picture. I know, it looks like I need to drop duece, but the picture will always come out funny regardless, so screw it.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:17 AM

I wasn't meaning the look on your face so much as your legs being crossed, like you had to **** or something.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:41 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (DenzComp)

Always good to have a father and son build. When I did my first swap my dad helped me. Gives you extra comfort and confidence.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gourley)

damn it looks real good for a father son project your lucky hes into it also
Old 10-14-2007, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bigluelok)

sub fucken scribed! i wanna see this build to the end! for all the great chosen parts, its kool to have your dad help on this one, my dad nearly kicks my *** for everything i do with cars.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A. I wish my Dad lived near me...
B. I wish i had a nice clean black CRX like that

looking good man
Old 10-14-2007, 12:38 PM

Default Re: (welfarepc)

Thats tight man, hope you guys have a good time putting it all together
Old 10-14-2007, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Great thread! Please keep us posted.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Foxcow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Foxcow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Great thread! Please keep us posted.</TD></TR></TABLE>

updated.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:16 PM
Rainman

Default Re: (gursh d)

Looks like fun! Good times, having a father son combo....I miss those days, In about 10 more Ill be able to do that with my son....

Maybe Ill even still have the crx....
Old 10-14-2007, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gursh d)

Good stuff man

My father has been helping me out lately too. GL with the build, everything looks good
Old 10-14-2007, 05:35 PM

Default Re: (IT GUY)

Awesome start to your build. It's cool to see that your Dad is into the build along with you, something a lot of us only wished for!
Old 10-14-2007, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IT GUY)

There is definetly no substitute for father/son time......i must say i do enjoy working on cars with my dad

Good luck on the build....it looks great so far

Quick Reply: The Father/Son Project Build