Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Titan Motorsports Dyno Test \\ Rocket Motorsports Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 07:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Titan Motorsports Dyno Test \\ Rocket Motorsports Spark Plugs

Just got done with our dyno test of the Rocket Motorsports Spark Plugs. In the past we have seen graphs of 4-6 hp gains with the addition of these spark plugs so we figured we would give them a shot and see what they are worth. Rocket was kind enough to send over a set for us to test out. He recommended a 400 mile break-in period that we haven't reached yet but figured we would get a head start and see what they have right now vs the current spark plug of choice in my engine the NGK 3330 (BCPR7ES), I will also be doing another couple of runs on the spark plugs once the 400 mile point has been reached

As the standard disclaimer, we had nothing to gain in doing this dyno test - we simply saw some dyno graphs of this particular item that were hard to believe so we decided to give them a try and see what they are worth. I really don't care if they make power or not - just trying to give the community some useful information.

Here is the test subject:
- 1.8l gsr block
- .025” overbore integra type r pistons
- integra type r head
- integra type r intake manifold
- accel 255cc injectors
- overbore civic si throttle body
- injen short ram intake with filter removed
- b&m fuel pressure regulator
- titan motorsports cam gears
- jun type II intake cam
- integra type r exhaust cam
- chipped p28, already tuned with use of Chrome

Yesterday we pretty much maxed out the setup with as much hp and torque that we feel is even possible to extract with this current setup - this car has seen right at 101 dyno runs in the last 6 months so I feel the current tune on the engine is about as good as it is going to get with the parts it has.

Tonight with almost the exact same weather conditions I ran the Rocket Motorsports Spark Plugs for a total of 6 runs to get what I feel is very solid data as to the potential of the plugs. Here is the graph:

As you can see there is a slight gain with the Rocket Motorsports Spark Plugs. The Peak numbers were almost identical for both sets of spark plugs - but as you see across the graph in several spots the Rocket Motorsports Spark plugs made additional horsepower and torque. The maximum horsepower gained by the Rocket Motorsports Spark plugs was 3 hp and a maximum torque gain of 2 foot pounds in several areas across the band.

So are the spark plugs really worth it - Well any addition to horsepower and torque with something as simple as changing the spark plugs is good in my book. I am not quite sure what Rocket is selling these spark plugs for but if they are reasonably priced I wouldn't say no to running these in my engine all the time.

Let me know if you guys have any questions and I will be more than happy to answer them to the best of my ability, thanks.

James

Old 03-15-2004, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Titan Motorsports Dyno Test \\ Rocket Motorsports Spark Plugs (TitanMotorsports.com)

Don't get me wrong on this one. I mean I have stood up for these plugs on almost every debate here and els were.

The thing is that is it at all possible that you could have made two back to back runs not making ANY changes and gotten the exact same or similar results?

I am just asking because I know this will come up as part of the upcoming debate.

Otherwise it is good to see yet another dyno plot that indeed di show gains while using these plugs.

Lastly. Were the plugs tested new or broken in and were they tested against like (new or broken in) plugs. If this was in the write up I apologize. I just breezed through it kind of quick.

Titan Motorsports
Old 03-15-2004, 07:21 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Titan Motorsports Dyno Test \\ Rocket Motorsports Spark Plugs (EKhatch)

as you can see on the run #'s listed - #96 was the last run on the NGK 3330's - #100 was the last run on the Rocket Motorsports Plugs

Yes i know it is kind of weird seeing the graphs so close - but I can also go back to the dyno computer and save the last 5 runs when I had the ngk 3330's in the car and they graphs looked exactly the same - they just overlay each other everytime - this engine has had so many dyno pulls that it is just tuned dead on

No changes at all were made to the engine when running the two different plugs.....there is a biased graph that I chose not to put up of the Rocket Motorsports Spark Plugs making more power than this but that is when the engine was ice cold - first run of the night today....it just isn't fair to compare that run vs the best of the ngk 3330's which happened on the last run last night when the engine was really hot after it had already made 11 dyno pulls

This graph was the 4th run of the night on the Rocket Spark Plugs so the conditions in the engine were very comparable for the engine.

Modified by TitanMotorsports.com at 4:35 AM 3/16/2004
Old 03-15-2004, 07:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Titan Motorsports Dyno Test \\ Rocket Motorsports Spark Plugs (EKhatch)

until a dyno jet dyno can produce back to back hp and tq......then i will say that these gains are a variance in the dyno.....

yes i have operated a dyno jet before....haven't touch the car between runs....water temp and intake air charge were the same....as well as head temps and other variables....and have seen differences of 5 hp to the wheels....
Old 03-15-2004, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Titan Motorsports Dyno Test \\ Rocket Motorsports Spark Plugs (TitanMotorsports.com)

hah, James, you never cease to amaze me nor does Rocket. So Rocket, how much? Your products link keeps coming up page unavailable for me. Good job guys ....................John
Old 03-15-2004, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TitanMotorsports.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> the last 5 runs when I had the ngk 3330's in the car and they graphs looked exactly the same - they just overlay each other everytime - this engine has had so many dyno pulls that it is just tuned dead on
</TD></TR></TABLE>

This adds a lot of validity to the test.

Once again thanks for bringing us another back to back dyno test for all of us to indulge in.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Titan Motorsports Dyno Test \\ Rocket Motorsports Spark Plugs (chad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">until a dyno jet dyno can produce back to back hp and tq......then i will say that these gains are a variance in the dyno.....

yes i have operated a dyno jet before....haven't touch the car between runs....water temp and intake air charge were the same....as well as head temps and other variables....and have seen differences of 5 hp to the wheels....</TD></TR></TABLE> I've seen other claims and graphs of Rockets plugs and they consistently make power, if it were the dyno varrying, I dont think they would consistently make power. But who knows. James is going to do a run after they are broken in also I believe???...........................John
Old 03-15-2004, 07:36 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Titan Motorsports Dyno Test \\ Rocket Motorsports Spark Plugs (h22John)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h22John &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I've seen other claims and graphs of Rockets plugs and they consistently make power, if it were the dyno varrying, I dont think they would consistently make power. But who knows. James is going to do a run after they are broken in also I believe???...........................John</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes i will be doing another run hopefully in about a week a half or so with no changes to the car at all - unfortunately this car isn't my daily driver so it rarely see's street time to rack up the miles but at least this will give me a reason to drive it
Old 03-15-2004, 07:54 PM

Ive never heard of breaking in spark plugs, whats the case with these spark plugs?
Old 03-15-2004, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TitanMotorsports.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

unfortunately this car isn't my daily driver so it rarely see's street time to rack up the miles but at least this will give me a reason to drive it</TD></TR></TABLE>

That EG is beaut. I would have no problem racking up some miles on it for you.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Titan Motorsports Dyno Test \\ Rocket Motorsports Spark Plugs (bradless)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bradless &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ive never heard of breaking in spark plugs, whats the case with these spark plugs?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Basically, any spark plug, rather rockets or NGK, will make a bit more power with a little bit of "crud" on it compared to a new plug.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:14 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Titan Motorsports Dyno Test \\ Rocket Motorsports Spark Plugs (WAFFLES)

as a point of comparison - the ngk 3330's that were in the car were brand new - had about 15 dyno runs on them and no street miles at all - so this is at least a good comparison of brand new plug VS brand new plug

James
Old 03-16-2004, 08:22 AM

What gap did you run the plugs with?
Old 03-16-2004, 09:13 AM

Default Re: Titan Motorsports Dyno Test \\ Rocket Motorsports Spark Plugs (fox297)

I ordered a set of these plugs the other day just to check them out myself. I will be dyno'ing shortly as well.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:14 AM

Default Re: Titan Motorsports Dyno Test \\ Rocket Motorsports Spark Plugs (fox297)

What header are you running?
Old 03-16-2004, 09:30 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Titan Motorsports Dyno Test \\ Rocket Motorsports Spark Plugs (WSG_buBble)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WSG_buBble &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What header are you running?</TD></TR></TABLE>

DC Sports JDM 4-1

you would think after the header test i did I would have stepped up to something else
Old 03-16-2004, 10:15 AM

Great dyno test. Good info, where can we get these? They don't show up on the Rocket Motorsports website. Also, what were they gapped at? can any car see gains from them, or is it only if the car is built?
Old 03-16-2004, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TitanMotorsports.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">chipped p28, already tuned with use of Chrome
</TD></TR></TABLE>

what is Chrome???
Old 03-16-2004, 10:20 PM

Default Re: Titan Motorsports Dyno Test \\ Rocket Motorsports Spark Plugs (andrewasf77)

They redesigned the website, the plugs will be added soon as far as I know, just mail the guys and they will sort you out...

Old 03-16-2004, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TitanMotorsports.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just got done with our dyno test of the Rocket Motorsports Spark Plugs. In the past we have seen graphs of 4-6 hp gains with the addition of these spark plugs so we figured we would give them a shot and see what they are worth. Rocket was kind enough to send over a set for us to test out. He recommended a 400 mile break-in period that we haven't reached yet but figured we would get a head start and see what they have right now vs the current spark plug of choice in my engine the NGK 3330 (BCPR7ES), I will also be doing another couple of runs on the spark plugs once the 400 mile point has been reached

As the standard disclaimer, we had nothing to gain in doing this dyno test - we simply saw some dyno graphs of this particular item that were hard to believe so we decided to give them a try and see what they are worth. I really don't care if they make power or not - just trying to give the community some useful information.

Here is the test subject:
- 1.8l gsr block
- .025” overbore integra type r pistons
- integra type r head
- integra type r intake manifold
- accel 255cc injectors
- overbore civic si throttle body
- injen short ram intake with filter removed
- b&m fuel pressure regulator
- titan motorsports cam gears
- jun type II intake cam
- integra type r exhaust cam
- chipped p28, already tuned with use of Chrome

Yesterday we pretty much maxed out the setup with as much hp and torque that we feel is even possible to extract with this current setup - this car has seen right at 101 dyno runs in the last 6 months so I feel the current tune on the engine is about as good as it is going to get with the parts it has.

Tonight with almost the exact same weather conditions I ran the Rocket Motorsports Spark Plugs for a total of 6 runs to get what I feel is very solid data as to the potential of the plugs. Here is the graph:

As you can see there is a slight gain with the Rocket Motorsports Spark Plugs. The Peak numbers were almost identical for both sets of spark plugs - but as you see across the graph in several spots the Rocket Motorsports Spark plugs made additional horsepower and torque. The maximum horsepower gained by the Rocket Motorsports Spark plugs was 3 hp and a maximum torque gain of 2 foot pounds in several areas across the band.

So are the spark plugs really worth it - Well any addition to horsepower and torque with something as simple as changing the spark plugs is good in my book. I am not quite sure what Rocket is selling these spark plugs for but if they are reasonably priced I wouldn't say no to running these in my engine all the time.

Let me know if you guys have any questions and I will be more than happy to answer them to the best of my ability, thanks.

James

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just curious,what is the error margin on that dyno???Those runs look so close that the results could be negligable.Any comparisons with any other spark plugs?
Old 03-17-2004, 03:33 AM
GSRswapandslow.

it's not Chrome, it's Crome

http://www.pgfmi.org/phorum

version 0.90 is great. It also supports RTP!!

btw...nice dynos! I'll probally have some of Robert's plugs in my next engine
Old 03-17-2004, 05:43 AM

Default Re: (Ej6andslow)

The one unknown variable after skimming this thread is the index of the plugs.

Were the plugs all (NGK's and RM) indexed to be in the identical orientations? This can alter the combustion effeciency as well.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ej6andslow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ej6andslow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it's not Chrome, it's Crome

http://www.pgfmi.org/phorum

version 0.90 is great. It also supports RTP!!

btw...nice dynos! I'll probally have some of Robert's plugs in my next engine </TD></TR></TABLE>

what is this crome, that link doesnt work!!!
Old 03-20-2004, 06:18 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (andrewasf77)

spark plugs were gapped at 1.1mm for both sets

James
Old 03-20-2004, 07:51 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (TitanMotorsports.com)

Thanks Titan Motorsports for your testing

From what I've seen the better tuned your car is the power difference won't be that big. Cars running on the rich side tend to see bigger gains. So it looks like your care is very well tuned.

Remember the dyno graph is only sampled at WOT. The plugs liven up part throttle as well.

The graph is pretty close, so you guys can decided for yourself but I like them alot as do most who run them.

Also why the break-in time? Because when I cut the electrodes some residual steel dust is left on the insulator cone which needs to be burned off.

Funny thing is, I just bought more Autolites today not knowing that test results would be posted.

Thanks again James.

Quick Reply: Titan Motorsports Dyno Test \\ Rocket Motorsports Spark Plugs