Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Parts Selection Suggestions:B20 with unstated goals-Eventual Turbocharger use

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 03:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Parts Selection Suggestions:B20 with unstated goals-Eventual Turbocharger use

Hey guys,

I've got a 1997 Integra LS with 225k Miles on it that I'll be pulling the original B18B1 from pretty soon. Nothing's wrong with it, but with plans to go turbo in the future, I'm going to give it a rebuild.

But in the mean time, I'm going to buy a B20Z (JDM high comp) from an engine depot to hold me over while I rebuild the original engine. And with that, I'll be installing some of the supporting mods for my turbo engine, onto the B20 for the time being. I already have a Skunk2 Mega Power cat-back, Exedy clutch kit, and a CT-Engineering icebox with HPS intake piping.

I wanted to know your guys' opinions or experience with the following brands/parts before I go buying them. I was interested in buying a B18/B20 pro series Skunk2 intake manifold (since the B20 intake manifold won't fit under the hood anyways) paired up with a 70mm alpha series Skunk2 throttle body. Keep in mind: those will ultimately go onto my turbo B18 when it's finished. And a 1320 Performance 4-2-1 Toda rep exhaust header with a test pipe.

Before you lecture me on the header, I understand it's not a proven performance brand, but I'll be buying a turbo manifold before I know it. I just want to open up the flow of things while I run the B20, and get a little more power out of it. I won't be getting it retuned or trying to shave time off of a lap time. Like the title states, it's just a daily driver.

My plan is to keep the B20 once I swap the built B18 back in; I'll probably buy a cheap EG shell to put the B20 in as a reliable back up for when things need to be tweaked or adjusted on the turbo Integra.

Anyways, thanks for your time. Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited by DC4_Dad; 02-10-2017 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Being more specific
Old 02-10-2017, 03:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: Parts Selection Suggestions:B20 with unstated goals-Eventual Turbocharger use

my opinion is you keep the b20 stock and swap over the ls intake manifold, the intake and exhaust will be enough. daily drive it like you said, and put 100% effort into your turbo engine. dont waste money on a header either, put it towards a nice turbo manifold.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Parts Selection Suggestions:B20 with unstated goals-Eventual Turbocharger use

Yeah you're probably right. I should keep the turbo build a priority.
Originally Posted by birdd
my opinion is you keep the b20 stock and swap over the ls intake manifold, the intake and exhaust will be enough. daily drive it like you said, and put 100% effort into your turbo engine. dont waste money on a header either, put it towards a nice turbo manifold.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Parts Selection Suggestions:B20 with unstated goals-Eventual Turbocharger use

thread title is LOL
Old 02-10-2017, 02:41 PM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Parts Selection Suggestions:B20 with unstated goals-Eventual Turbocharger use

Why are you going turbo on a daily driver?
Old 02-10-2017, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The same reason people buy an STI or GTI as a daily.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:00 PM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They don't know any better?
Old 02-11-2017, 04:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love couch motor building.... My opinion, buy another ls motor and swap out million mile b18. Turbo the car over the weekend with a basic 6psi turbo kit and work out all the bugs.

Then i would recommend two options depending on $$$ and power goals. You could rebuild the million mile ls to bomb proof levels swap it in and turn up the psi or swap out the pistons and rods for forged peices over the weekend and put it back together with head studs and moderately turn the psi up.

Or ghetto hack it and buy new nippon turbo pistons, used eagle rods on craigslist, used BS turbo kit, run 12psi on chipped base map ecu and hope for the best.

My $.02
Old 02-11-2017, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ryanplayjoint
I love couch motor building.... My opinion, buy another ls motor and swap out million mile b18. Turbo the car over the weekend with a basic 6psi turbo kit and work out all the bugs.

Then i would recommend two options depending on $$$ and power goals. You could rebuild the million mile ls to bomb proof levels swap it in and turn up the psi or swap out the pistons and rods for forged peices over the weekend and put it back together with head studs and moderately turn the psi up.

Or ghetto hack it and buy new nippon turbo pistons, used eagle rods on craigslist, used BS turbo kit, run 12psi on chipped base map ecu and hope for the best.

My $.02
My plan is to swap in the B20 for a reliable engine to get me around for a while so I can build the B18 the right way the first time. I plan on going all out, Eagle rods, Wiseco pistons, ARP head studs, ACL race bearings, send the engine out to be hot tanked, decked, honed, etc. and then assemble the turbo kit with all name brand parts and get it tuned on a Hondata. So, being that I'm going to be investing so much money into it, I'll need some time to actually piece together everything. That's why I wanted to slap on the Skunk2 pro series intake manifold and alpha series throttle body, so I wouldn't get bored or impatient.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanplayjoint
Or ghetto hack it and... run 12psi on chipped base map ecu and hope for the best.

My $.02