Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

List common misconceptions/myths of engine building and tuning.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 10:15 AM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default List common misconceptions/myths of engine building and tuning.

Like how you want exhaust velocity and not backpressure.....those kinda things. This thread should clear up alot of issues that many people think are correct when in fact are wrong.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:22 PM
moderator emeritus

Default Re: List common misconceptions/myths of engine building and tuning. (98vtec)

so there is nothing?.........
Old 04-06-2006, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bigger is better....see it alot with induction set-ups...and i also see it with cams.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (drchulo)

an engine build has a lot more than just what cams ur using. a lot of people think just slapping in some JUNIII's in there b16 will give them 200billion HP but in reality almost every aspect of the engine has to be addressed.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:37 PM

Default Re: List common misconceptions/myths of engine building and tuning. (98vtec)

Big cams have to run lots of compression to work. Dan
Old 04-06-2006, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: List common misconceptions/myths of engine building and tuning. (Dan Ruddock)

You have to break in cams.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:51 PM

Default Re: List common misconceptions/myths of engine building and tuning. (cptengineer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cptengineer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You have to break in cams. </TD></TR></TABLE> That is not a myth, I have seen cams go flat in 15 minutes when break in procedures were not followed. Dan
Old 04-06-2006, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: List common misconceptions/myths of engine building and tuning. (Dan Ruddock)

this is true, cams do need to be "broken in"
Old 04-06-2006, 12:54 PM
cute little bastard

Default Re: List common misconceptions/myths of engine building and tuning. (dragonz04)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dragonz04 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is true, cams do need to be "broken in"</TD></TR></TABLE>

how do you break them in?
Old 04-06-2006, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: List common misconceptions/myths of engine building and tuning. (SkoundrelUSA)

I think he may be referring to old school pushrod motors and such. Aside from generous lubrication on install, dohc hondas and such do not have any "break in" requirements.

I like when you hear people say you have to baby an engine for a while to break it in.

How about people that put junk msd ignitions on there stock motors and say they needed stronger spark. I see that a lot too.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: List common misconceptions/myths of engine building and tuning. (Runnerdown)

Yes they do. Different cams and different "rockers " need to establish a wear pattern. Rollers are a little different.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:57 PM
cute little bastard

Default Re: List common misconceptions/myths of engine building and tuning. (SkoundrelUSA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DonF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes they do. Different cams and different "rockers " need to establish a wear pattern. Rollers are a little different.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkoundrelUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

how do you break them in?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-06-2006, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does any cam manufacturer have a specific instruction to break in cams for say..b series. I'm sure there is I just have not seen it.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:53 PM

Default Re: List common misconceptions/myths of engine building and tuning. (Runnerdown)

SOHCs do not make power...lol
Old 04-06-2006, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha. you going down this weekend?

NOT TRUE that LS-vtecs are not reliable. when using the proper oil line conversion, it is very reliable
Old 04-07-2006, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Runnerdown &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think he may be referring to old school pushrod motors and such. Aside from generous lubrication on install, dohc hondas and such do not have any "break in" requirements.

I like when you hear people say you have to baby an engine for a while to break it in.

How about people that put junk msd ignitions on there stock motors and say they needed stronger spark. I see that a lot too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Take ONE look at your oil after installing a new cam and tell me it didn't need a break-in.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Misconceptioneak numbers mean everything.
Many people don't get that the area under the curve is more important than the peak numbers. There are times when a car comes in for tuning and it only picks up 4 or 5 peak hp, but as much as 20 whp in the mid range. The customer is disappointed, but in reality, the car is much faster.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:27 AM
moderator emeritus

Default Re: List common misconceptions/myths of engine building and tuning. (b19coupe)

thanks for actually contributing and i agree
Old 04-07-2006, 06:58 AM

Default Re: List common misconceptions/myths of engine building and tuning. (b19coupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b19coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Misconceptioneak numbers mean everything.
Many people don't get that the area under the curve is more important than the peak numbers. There are times when a car comes in for tuning and it only picks up 4 or 5 peak hp, but as much as 20 whp in the mid range. The customer is disappointed, but in reality, the car is much faster.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I cant agree more. Peak Whp numbers are to make your wiener big on the internet. It doesnt mean your car is fast.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: List common misconceptions/myths of engine building and tuning. (StorminMatt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StorminMatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Take ONE look at your oil after installing a new cam and tell me it didn't need a break-in.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the only thing I have seen is the skunk cams have some kind of hard looking gray coating that quickly comes off when rotating the engine to do valve adjustment. I am still waiting for specific break in procedure from a manufacturer.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:11 AM

dont you just hold on 2000 - 2500rpms for like 10 - 15min for break in of cams
Old 04-07-2006, 12:52 PM

Default Re: List common misconceptions/myths of engine building and tuning. (princess24)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by princess24 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont you just hold on 2000 - 2500rpms for like 10 - 15min for break in of cams</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes.

See http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/cam1.htm
Old 04-07-2006, 01:08 PM
Pirate General...YARRRR

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: List common misconceptions/myths of engine building and tuning. (gpteitz)

Tuning,
The richer the better is a funny old one.
Changing vtec X over on stock cams/motor.
Higher the revs the better.

Building:
Poor picking of comp ratio

Alot already listed.

Old 04-07-2006, 05:07 PM
HT White Ops

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

There seems to be a lot of people that think running a compression ratio so high that it straddles the limit of detonation is good for a streetcar motor. This usually results in a very compromised tune, that doesn't get the results the owner was expecting.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:11 PM

Default Re: List common misconceptions/myths of engine building and tuning. (rochesterricer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rochesterricer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There seems to be a lot of people that think running a compression ratio so high that it straddles the limit of detonation is good for a streetcar motor. This usually results in a very compromised tune, that doesn't get the results the owner was expecting.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you have to back off timing and run a rich A/F to keep it from pinging you have toooo much cr. It will make just as much power with a sane cr with normal A/F and timing and get better fuel milage. Dan

Quick Reply: List common misconceptions/myths of engine building and tuning.