Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Lessons and learning about a new JDM GS-R Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lessons and learning about a new JDM GS-R Build

Last edited by 93eh2b18c1; 12-29-2016 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:51 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Lessons and learning about a new JDM GS-R Build

Had to change that for you.. Do us a favor. More punctuation with a keyboard and less phone use, please.

Please give us more detail on the build with some photos if you could please. Look forward to seeing more information about it.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:48 PM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

B20 crank is 89mm and can be found for like $200.

82mm is fine on stock sleeves, but you can find a B20 block and go 85MM with the 89mm crank, and you'll be over 2 liters.... it'll make quite a bit more torque too.

There's quite a few of us running the big dome Wisecos on shitty CA 91 octane, it's all in the tune. But I would go bigger and higher myself.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

12:1-12.5:1 is 100% doable on pump gas if your tuner is competent. I ran my 84.5/12.5:1 B20V on pump for 2 years and 20k+ street miles with zero detonation on pump 93 E10. Granted I know in Cali you guys typically only have the 91 stuff but as long as the tuner is good it wont be an issue. I would definitely second going with an 89mm stroke, especially for a autoX or road course car. The difference in torque is really worth it coming out of corners and such when you aren't able to always stay in the peak of the powerband. It just provides s bit more useable power than an 87mm. Also there are tons of good additives on the market today to give you an extra bump in octane for race day. I used RACE GAS additive mixed with 93 pump on track days and was able to make a significantly more aggressive tune for that mix than I could on plain premium pump. I still use this product to this day as it is cheaper than using actual race fuel but provides 80-90% of the safety buffer from detonation and allows you to really get aggressive with timing on high comp builds when making a track tune. Fuel aside though I am sorry to hear about your issues! I always hate jokers like that as it gives quality shops a hassle when customers already have a bad taste in their mouth and start to distrust mechanics. Ive been doing this for years, but still wouldn't say I know it all, far from it. When I run into something I cant do or that confuses me I ask for assistance. That's one of the reasons I love this forum. Even with simple stuff, I have a dizzy question posted currently, if I cant figure it out I am not at all ashamed to ask others for advice even though I am a tech myself. I would much rather ask for help and do things right for the customer than make a wrong move and waste their time/money. It sounds like this guy you dealt with has no business building engines and should stick to brake and lube tasks lol. In any event, I know this stuff isn't cheap but you are doing it the right way by not skimping out and I think you will really enjoy the end product. Lastly, the 4P head job will be great for you despite the large investment required. I ran a 4Piston CNC B16 head on my B20V build and it flowed like crazy and made more power than any similar build I ran into locally using the same hard parts. I didn't even have a top shelf header and was making a solid power advantage over people running different heads so their work is seriously top notch. Best of luck!
Old 11-08-2016, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by 93eh2b18c1
Outstanding! Thank you for the reply. I have decided to go with the 12.5 Wiseco pistons. I am Medically retired Army and I found out they have E85 on post/base! Which is relatively close me. And Rich tuned is one of the more reputable tuners in my area so that's good. I also decided to have 4piston do my s2 ultra manifold as well, I have herd nothing but good things about them. Now I think I'l just grab a 89mm crankshaft. Any recommendations? Is there anything special I need to do with this combo? My friend has an ls crank he said he would just give me, but at this point I guess I don't mind buying an new eagle crank.
-12.5:1 doesn't have to have E85 to work, but needs at least 93octane
-Don't bother with an Eagle Crankshaft, you're good.
-89mm crankshaft can be found in an LS or B20, make sure nitrite treatment is still on there, have it inspected first before committing to a particular unit. Just a simple micropolish will do.
-REMOVE THE OIL SQUIRTERS IF USING A GSR BLOCK. Bending them out of the way isn't enough.

Here's my wife's example - still operating after almost 8 years. You're welcome to view it if you'd like.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-mo...es-na-2458563/
Old 11-08-2016, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I saw this car on CL with-in the last month. Looked like it was parked next to tino's garage LOL.

Glad to see you are sticking with it man.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:12 PM

Thank you. I found a way to make e85 pretty painless. Will my 440cc's still work..? I just picked up an LS crank. I am dropping it off to be micro polished tomorrow. I grabbed the eagle oil squirter block off screws today. Also got the Wiseco 12.5 82mm pistons and eagle rods.
No. Those won't work if using E85. Not enough CCs of fuel needed. If you were 93 octane and C16, sure, but remember, E85 takes over 30% more fuel volume than Petroleum-based fuel. Change that, the fuel lines (Feed/Return) and fuel filter to be E85 compatible. Best to also get a flex fuel sensor from a Chevy Tahoe (Or AEM, since they took it from AC DELCO anyway) to work with your E85 stuff.

More money out your pocket now, for less money at pump for Corn-water
Old 11-09-2016, 05:01 AM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah there is definitely a ton of info out there, I spend more time than I'd like to admit just reading about people's builds and what does and doesn't work, researching intake and exhaust tubing diameter and length dynamics, etc, etc, and the more I learn the more I realize how I didn't go the "right" path with my engine build. And I did months of research before putting that build together! Next build will be a sleeved B20V with forged internals for sure.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:44 AM

Interesting. I'm pretty sure I can get 93 oct on base too. Looks like I have some more research to do. The C16 mix I need to learn as well.
nothing really to learn about the C16, C109, M110 and other VP fuels. They just resist knock like E85 but are petroleum based so don't require the same hardware and tune changes.. They tend to be more expensive. So I typically mix Race Fuel Concentrate with my 93 on my turbo cars. I go strictly 93 on my 12.5:1 NA car. I have older Toyota MR2 430cc injectors too.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:37 PM

Update... I went with Wiseco 12.5 82mm, eagle rods, and an LS crank that I'm having micro polished. Instead of sending the head to 4piston I've found a local shop to do a cleanup and put in Ferera valves, stems, guides, and light port and polish. I should have all the parts by the end of the week and the head and block by the next . I've replaced everything even most engine and trans bolts she's going to be pretty! I can wait to put her together!
Sounds like a plan, then
Old 11-17-2016, 09:11 PM

***Update***
As always changes have been made.. I got the head back today. It's all cleaned up with a very mild port & polish also .035 deck. Supertech flat valves, retainers, springs, LMA, and keepers. Ferrea manganese bronze guides and valve seals. Wiseco pistons were on back order, so I went with Arias 12:5 82mm. Should be here by Tuesday along with the S2 pro2s. I'm hoping to start Thanksgiving weekend. My compression will probably be in the 13+ range I'm having a hard time finding out the exact calculations. I decided not to use e85. I'm going go the race gas mix route and have it tuned on 98oct. Also got my Mfactory LSD!
Uh oh. .035"? That's a lot of mill of the head.. Way too much. You may have problems getting the pro2s to work right. Why in blue blades did you mill the head so low? .040" is past the service line (found on the corner of the head) which causes issues from cams & gears to line up, to improper distributor settings, etc. If something goes wrong on that head, it's basically a paperweight. :-(

Last edited by TheShodan; 11-21-2016 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-18-2016, 04:50 AM
I like the tuna here

Nice build, you should be happy with the LSD, I love my MFactory diff! Nice choice on the Arias pistons, I've heard nothing but good things. In for dyno sheets!
Old 11-18-2016, 06:04 AM

It was definitely thousands. .0035 That had me freaked out!
Whew! Yeah that's better....
Old 11-21-2016, 05:37 AM
I like the tuna here

All black errthang lol! It looks good though.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:13 AM
I like the tuna here

I know when I used the Zeal comp calculator I came out to just a tad under 12:1 for my LS-VTEC, and the tuner told me he was able to advance ignition timing like it was a stock GSR. I'm not sure if that was due to cam choice (crower 402-A2s) or whether the calculator is slightly off. One thing that you could do is order rods for a GSR which are 0.9mm longer which would put you at 13.3:1 according to the calculator.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:18 AM
I like the tuna here

Also, according to the calculator, the GSR block is 0.6mm taller than the B18a/b block, which lowers compression from 12.55:1 to 11.78:1. That may be where the extra compression is going in your case.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sweet build man
Old 11-29-2016, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a similar setup, im running a jdm gsr with arias pistons for 12:1 comp ratio but the zeal calculator says something different... my motor is running 12:1 for real actually bit higher.. 12.3:1 due to head work and valves... i have sk2pro2 cams n a big tube header exhaust that runs 2.5 all the way out. Im running 440 injectors which are more than pleny for the setup... dynoed on a street daily tune 210hp with room for more with a agressive tune for autocrossing. Was thinking of going 89mm crank.. im interested to see what power you make and how it reaponds.. i can say mine is a real quick snap n is a blast to drive..
Old 11-30-2016, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You could still used 93 octaine on that comp ratio.... 13.5:1 is the max that 93 can be used... i was dynoed on a dynapack... Those sk2pro2 cams love compression and also displacment... i would definitely suggest to goto a 3"exhaust... your vtec engagement would be lower where the cams like better compared to a 2.5" where it would engage at 5.5k-6k+ range... that is one of the main issues i ran into during tuning... lile i said i still have a good bit of power i can tune with my setup.. i could see 230hp no problem if i wanted a track only car... also would have to change my setup i have so far n i really dont feel like spending on a bew whole exhaust system...
Old 12-27-2016, 03:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What machine shop did you go to?
how much was bore and hone?
who assembled pistons/rods/bearings /?
reason I ask is cuz I'm in wa to and am looking to find someone who can plug and play assemble a short block
i just pay the money for labor/parts/ machine costs and then I pick it up
also check your inbox!
Old 12-27-2016, 09:13 AM
I like the tuna here

I love this build. It's just like mine except with better planning, parts choices, and more money. Can't wait to see what it makes on the dyno, even if I will hate you juuuuuust a little for it. I have no doubt you'll be well over the 220 mark. I wish I'd chosen to use some of the parts you have used my first go-around. I'm planning on rebuilding and doing it better next time, lol.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:56 AM

come on now, there just fine. Believe me I've had the real ones. The bracket is the most important thing. And it's great. There way more than $300. In the future you can keep those comments to yourself.
AND I've had the real ones too, and been in two flip over accidents in Rally. If I'm racing, and my life depended on it, I'll spend the extra money knowing I'm going to have a better chance to be with my family again.

I'm not debating at all. I saw this and found the advice to use "the real deal" to be solid
Old 12-29-2016, 09:45 AM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm leaving this, because quite frankly I think most of you could use the lesson.

Last edited by 2LEM1; 12-29-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by 2LEM1
Well, I am truly sorry he is upset over this real issue that has affected the lives of many in the racing industry.

I received a private message from him just recently about his disdain for people that call out his lack of attention to detail for these particular seats. Unfortunately, he looked at this type of criticism as a "last straw" (so to speak) effort for tolerating others from the forum.

He felt that the comments relating to the replica seats were akin to an effort of others to laugh at him or to ridicule him, verses taking the information as though it was "fair warning" advice.

He also stated that being grammatically correct is not a necessity in something like a web forum, simply because he believes that it is similar to those that do not understand combat training, yet still want to fire weapons. To answer that particular statement, I simply say, even though you may not know all of the grammar, wouldn't you think that it is necessary to understand the terminology in order to use that type of weapon safely? Would it not behoove both the user and the trainer to know the proper terminology so that an accident as dangerous as a discharge could be avoided? I would think so.

Regardless, I do wish him the best of luck in his future racing endeavors. Unfortunately, some people do take criticism very heavily, and he therefore, felt that eliminating all of his posts would be in his best interest.

I will close this thread in a couple of days, so that he has the opportunity to either reinstall all of his posts, or simply move on with life.

if no further comments from the poster are made, or the discussion has not been diverted into another relevant direction, I'll delete it entirely.

Last edited by TheShodan; 12-29-2016 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2LEM1
Too bad, I honestly wasn't attacking him at first.

As you know Shodan, he is FAR from the first person to be warned about low quality replica products. Those of us that have been playing with Hondas for years know how quickly lives can change. It's unfortunate that he felt like we were attacking him or ridiculing him, that wasn't my intention. I honestly was trying to save the dude's life... I guess he thought he knows better than the guys who have seen those cheap seats after an accident.

Anyway, I hope the OP comes back and updates his thread, I didn't intend to derail it that badly. I would gladly delete my posts if he wants to keep this thread on topic, seeing as how it's in the All Motor forum.

If the OP decides he wants to move on and not return to HondaTech, then I hope at least one person saw our comments and was able to absorb what we were trying to warn him of.

Your life and health are not worth saving a few bucks.
Safety gear check is the first thing on our race day check list before the car even touches the track. I didn't get to see all of the posts as they are gone but I agree with you. Safety should be #1 rather than super awesome parts first.

-Amp

Quick Reply: Lessons and learning about a new JDM GS-R Build