Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Br8crumb's B18C1/C5 Street Build Project Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Br8crumb's B18C1/C5 Street Build Project Thread

What do you guys think or any suggestions? Will be bolting everything up next week and dynoing

B18c5 OEM rebuild block. Blew the ring lands on 3 pistons from spraying so aftermarket pistons should be 11.1:1 compression and still 81mm bore

B18c1 gsr head. Milled unknown amount, Ported n polished, valve job, oversized SS valves, Brian Crower stage 2 cams, BC valve train, skunk2 lma

Skunk2 ultra Street manifold 70mm TB
.033 headgasket

Unsure of v2v and shouldnt have any p2v but may use a thicker head gasket. BC stage 2 cams are like OEM low lobe but aggressive high lobe so unknown clearance till checked.

Really only looking to match the power output of a 00 type r but looking and breathing better. Not gonna be disappointed if VTEC cross over dips then hits hard

Trans I will be mating too is a ys1 b16 gears carbon syncs itr LSD mfactory 4.9 final drive.

Should be quite the fun weekend warrior. Any suggestions besides "use skunk2 pro 1s" will be much appreciated
Old 12-29-2016, 04:45 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Br8crumb's B18C1/C5 Street Build Project Thread

I think that you're pretty much set for everything except for those ridiculous camshafts. (Apparently, that portion has been mentioned to you before, since you seemed rather sensitive to those who have mentioned about your use of the Brian Crower camshafts before.)

I was also curious about the use of such a thick headgasket (.033" is a bit thick vs. .026") for such a standard compression piston. This will lower compression to about 10.6:1 or so. Being milled an "unknown amount" may cause timing of the camshafts to prove difficult, whether it is Brian Crower or Skunk2, or any other company other than stock. You might want to know how much it was changed.

Transmission seems rather solid, but again, you didn't want to hear about the camshaft ideology, so I'll simply skip it.

Time will tell. You kept it reasonably simple, so.. all we can say is "good luck to you."
Old 12-29-2016, 05:06 PM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Like Shodan said, trans seems really solid.

I agree though, those cams are quite big for the motor you're building. A mild compression 1.8 liter would have a much more useable power band on something like a Skunk stage 1, or Buddy Club 3s, or Toda As. I think the manifold and throttle body are also way too big. You're not moving the kind of air that those parts are designed for, and ultimately your power under the curve is going to suffer tremendously.

If it was me I'd run a 65mm throttle body, skunk pro manifold, buddy club spec 3s, forget the oversized valves, and run a .026 headgasket.

Since you're staying 81mm, have you played with a compression calculator to see what other OEM pistons would give you for compression?

P30 pistons would give you around 11.5:1 on a mildly milled head.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by 2LEM1
Like Shodan said, trans seems really solid.

I agree though, those cams are quite big for the motor you're building. A mild compression 1.8 liter would have a much more useable power band on something like a Skunk Tuner Stage 1, or Buddy Club 3s, or Toda Spec As. I think the manifold and throttle body are also way too big. You're not moving the kind of air that those parts are designed for, and ultimately your power under the curve is going to suffer tremendously.

If it was me I'd run a 65mm throttle body, skunk pro manifold, buddy club spec 3s, forget the oversized valves, and run a .026 headgasket.

Since you're staying 81mm, have you played with a compression calculator to see what other OEM pistons would give you for compression?
He may not be able to get an accurate calculation of any kind because of the "unknown head mill".
I agree with all of your suggestions (BUT...keep the 70mm TB if it's an Alpha series, personally), but the Ultra Street manifold would be a bit much for any usable powerband for this build.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:00 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

Isn't it as simple as taking measurements of the milling depth limit mark and subtracting that from what the OE depth would be?
Old 12-29-2016, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Caoboy
Isn't it as simple as taking measurements of the milling depth limit mark and subtracting that from what the OE depth would be?
You'd have to know what the OEM milling mark depth would be first, but yes, typically.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:45 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
You'd have to know what the OEM milling mark depth would be first, but yes, typically.
is that information available?
Old 12-30-2016, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Caoboy
is that information available?
Helms manual for sure.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe it's 1mm mark for b series on the head so shouldn't be too hard to measure. Or simply measure from valve cover rail to bottom which is 140-141mm. Head is still wrapped so didn't take measurements yet. Have them book marked on my laptop.

As for compression the block should yield 11:1, and the gsr head ontop + mill should put it around 11.5:1 when it's all done. Also the ultra Street manifold and 70mm TB might sound big but that manifold is really ment to be ported and cleaned up. Lot of meat on the bone ��

The head gasket will crush to .03 also instead of a .03 to a .027. wouldn't really consider it thick unless going .04+ to compensate for milling.

And I see skunk2 pro 1s are waiting to be said lol. Considering its a street car I have been told multiple times I'll get mid-top end and since the trans is short it will be screaming the entire way. But i have had the Brian Crower stage 2s for a while new in box on the shelf though. And the dyno sheet they show on the site is a stock R which was a customer's car when they were testing. Should be right there for a good power band and the bashing of the dip with VTEC cross over can be corrected with a competent tuner.

If I missed anything or u guys wanna debate feel free. I still may get a set of the pro 1s but this started off as throwing bits and pieces together. Hence the gsr head oversized valves from previous turbo build I quit on

*trans built 2 yrs ago for auto x but nvr did it just beat on the street lol
Old 12-30-2016, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by br8crumb
I believe it's 1mm mark for b series on the head so shouldn't be too hard to measure. Or simply measure from valve cover rail to bottom which is 140-141mm. Head is still wrapped so didn't take measurements yet. Have them book marked on my laptop.

As for compression the block should yield 11:1, and the gsr head ontop + mill should put it around 11.5:1 when it's all done. Also the ultra Street manifold and 70mm TB might sound big but that manifold is really ment to be ported and cleaned up. Lot of meat on the bone ��

The head gasket will crush to .03 also instead of a .03 to a .027. wouldn't really consider it thick unless going .04+ to compensate for milling.

And I see skunk2 pro 1s are waiting to be said lol. Considering its a street car I have been told multiple times I'll get mid-top end and since the trans is short it will be screaming the entire way. But i have had the Brian Crower stage 2s for a while new in box on the shelf though. And the dyno sheet they show on the site is a stock R which was a customer's car when they were testing. Should be right there for a good power band and the bashing of the dip with VTEC cross over can be corrected with a competent tuner.

If I missed anything or u guys wanna debate feel free. I still may get a set of the pro 1s but this started off as throwing bits and pieces together. Hence the gsr head oversized valves from previous turbo build I quit on

*trans built 2 yrs ago for auto x but nvr did it just beat on the street lol
Those measurements for the head gasket already account for it being crushed. So it doesn't change.

We never said Pro1 was recommended. Nor did we say it should be. You saw our camshaft recommendations, we don't tip-toe around recommendations in order to be polite.

You seem set on what you're going to do, so really, making suggestions is rather pointless..

So now it's time to do it....

Post up actual progress to gain any more insight