Notices
Acura TL, RL & ZDX Includes Legend, Vigor and 2001 - 2003 Acura CL

So I ran through some high water and I need help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 11:21 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon4 So I ran through some high water and I need help!

I'm not familiar with car maintenance in any sort of way, so I apologize.

I drive a 2003 Acura TL Type S, during some heavy rains last night I ran through some high water on accident and a ton of it splashed up onto my windshield/hood and I got stuck and couldn't drive out of the water.
After about 9-10 minutes, some guys helped me push it out of the water. The water level while settled was about to just below the bottom of my door, please see the picture attached

Where the water level was on my Acura.

The good news being that my Acura didn't sputter out and I turned it off on my own after about a minute and a half of being stuck.
The battery still works and I can turn the car into standby mode and operate anything that needs power in the car.
I have not tried to start my Acura since.

I just have a few questions
1: Is the air intake in the very bottom of the bumper? If not, where the hell is it? I'm worried that my air intake had a bunch of water shoved into it.
2: Should I try to start my engine?
3: How boned am I?

Thank you for reading my post and please post if you know the answer to any of my questions or if you have anything helpful!
Old 04-02-2019, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: So I ran through some high water and I need help!

Originally Posted by MTexan
I'm not familiar with car maintenance in any sort of way, so I apologize.

I drive a 2003 Acura TL Type S, during some heavy rains last night I ran through some high water on accident and a ton of it splashed up onto my windshield/hood and I got stuck and couldn't drive out of the water.
After about 9-10 minutes, some guys helped me push it out of the water. The water level while settled was about to just below the bottom of my door, please see the picture attached

Where the water level was on my Acura.

The good news being that my Acura didn't sputter out and I turned it off on my own after about a minute and a half of being stuck.
The battery still works and I can turn the car into standby mode and operate anything that needs power in the car.
I have not tried to start my Acura since.

I just have a few questions
1: Is the air intake in the very bottom of the bumper? If not, where the hell is it? I'm worried that my air intake had a bunch of water shoved into it.
2: Should I try to start my engine?
3: How boned am I?

Thank you for reading my post and please post if you know the answer to any of my questions or if you have anything helpful!
1. NO, the air intake is not at the very bottom of the bumper unless there is a cold air intake on your vehicle. If you are worried that you air intake had a bunch of water shoved into it, check the air filter and see if it is damp.
2.If the car is still submerged in water I would not try to start it
3.Reference #1.