Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Starting problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting problems HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

car won't start, it did but then it stopped working. All I get is a clicking from the starter. The starter is NEW and the battery is NEW, it won't take a jump either. HEPL PLEASE ASAP.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: starting problems HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 (ITR-00-1457)

1. have you tried to push start it? like rolling down hill, holding clutch and letting in/out? or someone pushing the car from behind?

2. do you have alarm? is it disabled?

3. ecu connected??

4. when you turn to start, just hold it there for several seconds until it does some noise, even play with gears going from 1-2 or reverse + trying to start with key
Old 04-21-2005, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: starting problems HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtec.dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1. have you tried to push start it? like rolling down hill, holding clutch and letting in/out? or someone pushing the car from behind?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha i remember dad telling me he used to start his old volvo by rolling down a hill... i swear i couldnt believe it would work lol now im wrong...
Old 04-21-2005, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: starting problems HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 (vtec.dc2)

I am going to try and pus start it now, but yes the alarm is disabled, and the ecu is connected. it was running this morning, I made a stop to pick something up and when I went back to the car, all I got was clicking.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: starting problems HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 (drifter_X)

i've done it with one foot on ground pushing in reverse, if youre quick enough you don't even need to get speed..
Old 04-21-2005, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

got it started by pushing it, but when i got home it would not start again. wtf.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Relay?
Old 04-21-2005, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

are you running aftermarket flywheel? ever removed transmission for clutch repair/replacement?
Old 04-21-2005, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you've got a Helm's there's a specific procedure to go through which will tell you what is wrong. I only went to step 4 or 5 on my GSR when I found out my starter was bad. I think I removed a fuse per the instructions (not absolutely essential) then did a jump from the positive battery terminal to the small terminal on the starter (not the main power lead, the other one). With the ignition energized and clutch depressed, when you do the jump the starter should engage and start the car. If it does, then you've got electrical problems because the starter works fine. If it does not engage, then you've got a bad starter.

My hunch is you've got another bad starter.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:35 PM

Try giving it Gas while trying to start the car.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Re: starting problems HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 (Im_In_There)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Im_In_There &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Try giving it Gas while trying to start the car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

How's that going to help if the starter motor doesn't turn?
Old 04-21-2005, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: starting problems HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 (typer_801)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by typer_801 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you've got a Helm's there's a specific procedure to go through which will tell you what is wrong. I only went to step 4 or 5 on my GSR when I found out my starter was bad. I think I removed a fuse per the instructions (not absolutely essential) then did a jump from the positive battery terminal to the small terminal on the starter (not the main power lead, the other one). With the ignition energized and clutch depressed, when you do the jump the starter should engage and start the car. If it does, then you've got electrical problems because the starter works fine. If it does not engage, then you've got a bad starter.

My hunch is you've got another bad starter.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I followed the procedure and it did not start the car, but the starter should not need to be replaced I just got a rebuilt one from NAPA today!!!!
Old 04-21-2005, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is the connection to your starter good?

There is a black connector wire and also the positive from the battery held on by a 12mm nut.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: starting problems HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 (B2FiNiTY)

yeah the connection to the starter is good
Old 04-21-2005, 06:34 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ITR-00-1457 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah the connection to the starter is good</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you sure?

two weeks ago I was owned by a loose connection on the beater. I thought I was going to buy a new $150 starter

Glad I checked the starter a 3rd time
Old 04-21-2005, 06:35 PM

Default Re: starting problems HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 (Chris F)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chris F &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How's that going to help if the starter motor doesn't turn?</TD></TR></TABLE>

IM assuming the Starter is good. The starter is NEW and the battery is NEW
Old 04-21-2005, 06:55 PM

Default Re: starting problems HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 (Im_In_There)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Im_In_There &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">IM assuming the Starter is good. The starter is NEW and the battery is NEW
</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ITR-00-1457 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All I get is a clicking from the starter. </TD></TR></TABLE>

His starter motor may be good, but it is not turning.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: starting problems HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 (Chris F)

it could also be the coilpack in the distributor. or the module.. its common for them to go out on hondas. ive changed mine already in the itr.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:05 PM

Default Re: starting problems HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 (vecspeed12)

then the car wouldn't have started at all, even after he push started it.

the alternator may be bad. get the car started again and get an electrical diagnosis done at ur local auto parts store, it should be free, just don't turn it off when you get there.

and remember, just because parts are new, doesn't mean their good, just that they've never been used.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: starting problems HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 (SecretAgent)

if the alternater was bad then it would have still taken a jum start which it would not do. I did the diognostic test from the Helm's manual for the starter and bypassed the entire electrical system and the starter still did not work. this is the second starter that I have tried in a week, the first one worked fine right away, but then stopped yesterday, I got another one and still nothing. And it is definately NOT the connection's they are as tight as a virgin.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hmmm i had a similar problem on my Civic. turned out my distributer cap wasnt completely tight and the inside had some moisture buildup that seemed to cause it to start soemtimes and not other times. i would definitely check the relay as well if you havent already. if you have another honda car chances are pretty could you could swap relays and see if that works.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:46 AM

ahh, sorry, i must have ignored the part where it said u jumped it. man, it's definitely gotta be the starter. return that one, and get ur money back, and buy one from somewhere else, or find an OEM one. but also check there is nothing wrong with the wiring, something may be shorting out, and frying the starter solenoid.

and RTW, again, it's nothing distributor or ignition related because the car would still crank, if it was that. the car is not cranking, therefore there is something wrong with the starting/charging system.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:11 PM

Same thing happened to me after I put in the new clutch. All I did was bang the starter with a maglite a few times and the car kicked over. My guess is that something was jammed.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (opie)

well the starter itself works, they guy at NAPA tested it in front of me. He tested it the same way honda says to and the same way that I tested it last night while it was attached to the car, so the next logical step is that there is either someting wrong with the 2ft. wire from the battery to the starter or there is a grounding problem.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SecretAgent &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ahh, sorry, i must have ignored the part where it said u jumped it. man, it's definitely gotta be the starter. return that one, and get ur money back, and buy one from somewhere else, or find an OEM one. but also check there is nothing wrong with the wiring, something may be shorting out, and frying the starter solenoid.

and just so you know the solenoid is built into the starter, so if you fry that the starter definately won't work.

and RTW, again, it's nothing distributor or ignition related because the car would still crank, if it was that. the car is not cranking, therefore there is something wrong with the starting/charging system.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-22-2005, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtec.dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you running aftermarket flywheel? ever removed transmission for clutch repair/replacement?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Quick Reply: Starting problem!!!