Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Racing seats for larger people?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Racing seats for larger people?

i remeber there was a thread a little while ago that i thought covered this but i tried searching and couldnt find it, but i am a tard

so if anybody could find it that be awesome

but if not, what are some racing seats, fixed back, that are bigger than regular seats, im a large person, bout 6'1 6'2 and bout 250, and iv decided to sell my current type r and pick up a salvage R shell, and build a weekend/race car, and pick up a tsx as a daily driver, and im goin to be installing a full rollcage and all safety equipment( i want to do this car right)

and im looking for race seats for fit my fatass, btw im not looking for super jdm crap, brands dont matter to me, im just looking for quality, fitment and saftey

thank you for any and all help

eric
Old 12-24-2004, 10:27 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Racing seats for larger people? (01-0720)

well since weight reduction is pointless with your fatass do what i do and buy some sparco torinos those seats are the ****, there are alot of knockoffs but once your touch a real torino you can feel the quality they are heavier then fixed backs but my fatass hasnt really found larger ones.... besides reclineable ones look cool
Old 12-24-2004, 10:37 PM
rhd

corbeau FX1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the cheapest full fiberglass seat, and it's made for 38" waist ppl....
Old 12-24-2004, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Racing seats for larger people? (itr#xxxxlives)

reclinable is cool with me two, and im also in the process of losing weight, so by the time ill be buying the seats ill be quite a bit smaller, but im still a naturally big guy, broad shoulders, just big, im not really fat, i just have me a nice beer belly, to much partying when i was younger plus i lived by myself and ate out all the time, beer+fastfood=bad stuff, so im fixing all that this winter, and am goin to start my first huge project

im gonna build it completly from the ground up, strip the whole car, paint absolutly everything, take off anything that doesnt need to be there, powedercoat all suspension pieces, remove all tar/undercoating ****, of course im going be painting it with special strong all weather paint, im gonna use all the best parts, this will be my baby
Old 12-24-2004, 11:09 PM

OMP Large, Bride Zeta 3L, Recaro SPG-XL.
Old 12-25-2004, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Racing seats for larger people? (EKology)

wow i didnt think id have this many choices
Old 12-25-2004, 01:49 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm a little over 6 foot and 205 lbs. I rock a Sparco Evo2 and fit very comfortably. I have a few friends with bigger wastes...probably 38+ or so, and they fit fine.

But Sparco is coming out with an Evo3, or XL I think they're going to call it. Same as the Evo and Evo 2, just larger, both of which are VERY nice seats!

The widest seat made by Sparco. Same as the Evo seat, but 2" (5 cm) wider across its inner dimeniosns. The Evo 3 is designed to be a comfortable fit for larger drivers. Available in black in fiberglass shell only; side mounting. FIA homologated
Old 12-25-2004, 01:54 PM

Im 6'4 290

Im just a few burgers too big for an Evo 2. You sound like you're smaller. You should be fine in an Evo 2

You can also try the Recaro Poll Position. I sat in one at Limerock Park and it's a nice non adjustable seat.
Old 12-25-2004, 02:00 PM
.RJ

Default Re: (opie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by opie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You should be fine in an Evo 2 </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep. Test fit them first.... I am in the Nova area, and if you want to come down before tuesday you're welcome to sit in mine and take it for a spin to see how you fit in them. I'm 5'8"/180 and the evo2 is a bit loose on me for a track seat but works perfect for street use.
Old 12-25-2004, 02:01 PM
rhd

the only problem wiht the evo 2, is the price

almost all the seats mentioned are $500+ for that, you could LITERALLY get 2 FX1s
Old 12-25-2004, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am using a Recaro SPG-XL....Awsome seat, well supported, and comfy enough so my *** doesnt fall asleep after sitting in it for 7 hours. Alot of people around your size have sat in it and loved it...

Seats are differenet for everyone...The best is just to sit in them and find the one your like..
Old 12-25-2004, 02:19 PM
.RJ

Default Re: (rhd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rhd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the only problem wiht the evo 2, is the price

almost all the seats mentioned are $500+ for that, you could LITERALLY get 2 FX1s </TD></TR></TABLE>

You get what you pay for.

I found my pair used for 750 shipped, with the sidemount brackets.
Old 12-25-2004, 02:33 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (.RJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You get what you pay for.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

a racing seat is one of the things you must not consider price...to an extent. You want something that will not be uncomfortable and it needs to be safe.

I picked mine up nearly brand new from a friend who was trading in his car for the same price as a new Sprint! I really lucked out tho. I drove 8 hours each way to central Oregon last year in this seat and was loving it! Much better than stock Teg/civic seats
Old 12-25-2004, 02:35 PM

Hey, Opie Just a few burgers too big, LMFAO. I am 6'3 295 and i fit in torino's. And i will admit torino's R really comfortable.
Old 12-25-2004, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (99 TYPE R)

a torino is not a racing seat
Old 12-25-2004, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Evs-One)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Evs-One &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

a racing seat is one of the things you must not consider price...to an extent. You want something that will not be uncomfortable and it needs to be safe.

I picked mine up nearly brand new from a friend who was trading in his car for the same price as a new Sprint! I really lucked out tho. I drove 8 hours each way to central Oregon last year in this seat and was loving it! Much better than stock Teg/civic seats </TD></TR></TABLE>

i would consider most racing seats less safe than oem seats for street cars
Old 12-25-2004, 03:14 PM
.RJ

Default Re: (255.255.255.255)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 255.255.255.255 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i would consider most racing seats less safe than oem seats for street cars</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why would you say that?
Old 12-25-2004, 03:52 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 01-0720 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...some racing seats, fixed back, that are bigger than regular seats, im a large person, bout 6'1 6'2 and bout 250, </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm about your size and do well with Sparco EVO-2.
Old 12-25-2004, 03:54 PM
H-T Order of Merit

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Why would you say that?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Safety experts would look for the squab to break at a hinge under certain pressures in order to avoid trapping the occupant in a changing crush zone.

If someone's going to ride around on the street in a Sparco EVO 2, then I'd suggest that appropriate rollover protection is a good idea.

You've heard Politi's speech about the entire safety apparatus having to be modified all at once, right?
Old 12-25-2004, 03:57 PM
.RJ

Default Re: (George Knighton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by George Knighton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You've heard Politi's speech about the entire safety apparatus having to be modified all at once, right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Of course.

I dont think that riding around in a race bucket on the street with stock belts is a bad idea though - I dont feel any less safe with it.
Old 12-25-2004, 04:00 PM
H-T Order of Merit

I dont think that riding around in a race bucket on the street with stock belts is a bad idea though - I dont feel any less safe with it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmm.

Well, it could be less safe, unless you've taken special care to make sure the OEM belts are held tightly against your waste and not up high off your hips because of the side bolsters of the EVO 2.

You also have a padded rollbar, which takes care of some of the concerns.
Old 12-25-2004, 04:01 PM
.RJ

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by George Knighton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, it could be less safe, unless you've taken special care to make sure the OEM belts are held tightly against your waste and not up high off your hips because of the side bolsters of the EVO 2.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Re-route the belts for street use and there's no problem with that
Old 12-25-2004, 04:05 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Re-route the belts for street use and there's no problem with that </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ahh. So.

With re-routed OEM belts and a padded rollbar, you've negated the concern anyone would have with a fixed back racing seat in a street car.

You might recall that back with Expo 3 we expressed some serious concerns about fixed back racing seats in modified street cars that had no rollover protection.
Old 12-25-2004, 04:06 PM
.RJ

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by George Knighton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You might recall that back with Expo 3 we expressed some serious concerns about fixed back racing seats in modified street cars that had no rollover protection.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Of course - I would not use this with out a rollbar or cage.
Old 12-25-2004, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow thank you very much guys for all the replies, alot of good information

like somone said before dont have a fixed back without rollover protection, im gonna have a 6 point cage and harnesses and also gonna keep the oem belts for street driving

i cant wait to sell my car and get started and my new R

Quick Reply: Racing seats for larger people?