Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Please help me out.... Why are Integras/4cylinder sports cars good/better than V8's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2001, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me out.... Why are Integras/4cylinder sports cars good/better than V8's?

Hey guys, I'm new to these forums.

I'm a mustang owner, and don't plan on changing that, but I was curious what are some of the good things about an integra/civic or whatever. I'm going to be doing a comparison of the american V8 vs the sport compact car for my school newspaper, and I thought I'd get the views of you guys for some helpful info, and go ahead and bash V8 cars if you want in your reply, just back up reasons with facts if you could. Thanks a lot! I hope you all have a lot to say!
Old 12-04-2001, 02:57 PM
Future Texas Boy

Default Re: Please help me out.... Why are Integras/4cylinder sports cars good/better than V8's? (WhiteGT)

good thing: it`s not american
Old 12-04-2001, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Please help me out.... Why are Integras/4cylinder sports cars good/better than V8's? (WhiteGT)

Why are Integras/4 cylinder sports cars good/better than V8's?

Answer: they're not.

Default Re: Please help me out.... Why are Integras/4cylinder sports cars good/better than V8's? (vtecvoodoo

is that all you have to say? you can't give a reason why they perform better or are better in any other way than just he place where they are built? I thought you all would have something more intelligent.
New User

Default Re: Please help me out.... Why are Integras/4cylinder sports cars good/better than V8's? (vtecvoodoo

bang for buck...ITR's are hard to overlook!....technology is evolving and now Hi-Po 4 cyl cars are much better today than yesterday! It's really hard to compare V8's and 4 cyl cars as they have different displacements different power/torque output and as we all know different handling characteristics!....Torque V8's are kings and same goes for power output as well....although as I have mentioned earlier 4 cyl cars are much much better than it was then. True some 4 cyl cars can out handle out power some V8's vice versa..so it's a competing market!...and it reflects on sales as people either opt for a V8 or a 4 cyl so its hard to compare!

Different strokes for different folks IMO!...whatever floats your boat!

[Modified by R spec, 12:06 AM 12/5/2001]
New User

I'll second that!

Other factors: Quality (fit and finish) / Reliability (doesn't break) / Fuel efficient / performance 108.33hp per liter
Old 12-04-2001, 03:04 PM
Future Texas Boy

I thought YOU ALL would have something more intelligent.
no comment lol
Old 12-04-2001, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bang for the buck, i would rather have a z28, now thats bang for the buck, however untill you own a type r or somrthing comparable, I think there is no way to descripe the feeling you get driving a car that tuned to the race track.

There are certain things that seperate most people in this forum from other rice boys you have met before, we can acknoladge the good performance of other high power cars, we dont always aggre with there technology, but we respect what they can do.

Now enough for my rambiling, im going to get fatter
Old 12-04-2001, 03:06 PM

how about the cost of buying an integra and it's performance? NOw does HP per liter even matter? Shouldn't it be who wins the race?
Old 12-04-2001, 03:07 PM
New User

mainly in my opinion is because they are the most bang for the buck. They might not have as much power as V8s but they are really fun to throw around at the Auto cross or just driving aggressively around town. I mean who wouldn't want a SVT Cobra R? Its about what we basically want to do with them. i'm sure theres a lot more reasons, but thats just my view. Its sometimes fun to be the under dog at events, because they're not expecting much from you. But all in all, V8s and 4 cylinders all both great cars and not everyone is looking for the same thing. So generally my emphasis is on the fun factor and reliabilty of 4cylinders. Have fun with your paper.

tj
Old 12-04-2001, 03:07 PM
New User

Default Re: (WhiteGT)

It depends on if you care about the quarter mile, or who makes it through the first turn.
Old 12-04-2001, 03:13 PM

Default Re: (mattlehrer)

well, I would say that a stock mustang or camaro would probably handle as well as a stock integra. But how much does it cost for a new type r? a mustang is about 23k and camro 28k.
Old 12-04-2001, 03:15 PM
New User

That's where you are wrong, I've owned them all. Why don't you go down to
your local Acura dealer and test drive a used beat GS-R and decide for yourself what handles better. My 00' Type-R cost 24k.
Old 12-04-2001, 03:17 PM

Default Re: (mattlehrer)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=96096
Old 12-04-2001, 03:22 PM

Default Re: (bacheson)

could you point me to a site with handling stats of an integra?
Old 12-04-2001, 03:24 PM
Future Texas Boy

pickup a car n driver or road n track and all the info you need is in the back for a good comparison
Old 12-04-2001, 03:26 PM

what kind of stock 1/4 miles times can be expected from a type r, a regular vtech integra, or civic si, and how much money would it take to put it into the sub 13 second range?
Old 12-04-2001, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Domestic v. Import?

I chose my Integra GSR beacuse of (in no significant order)...
1. Affordability.
2. Dependability/Reliability.
3. Great gas mileage.
4. Sleek styling.
5. Loaded with options, my Integra GSR was far less in price than any base model domestic V8 (see number 1).
6. Being easily modified (engine, body, interior).
7. Being able to hang, if not beat stock Domestic V8's.
8. Ride quality.
9. Comfort.
10. Compactness.

Realistically, the downside ...
1. Front wheel drive.
2. Lack of torque.
3. High theft rate.
4. Cop magnets (especially if you're car is modded).
5. Weak stock clutches.
6. Stigma of your car being called "Rice".
7. Rear hatch rattles over bumps.

[Modified by 2001 Integra GSR, 4:32 PM 12/4/2001]
Old 12-04-2001, 03:27 PM
Future Texas Boy

vtech
get the rope!

[Modified by vtecvoodoo, 12:28 AM 12/5/2001]
Old 12-04-2001, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control or the acronym VTEC, really helps out especially on the highway.
Old 12-04-2001, 03:35 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (vtecvoodoo)

good gas mileage. its just a more economical car around town and has a performance edge too it. Economy car with sporty heritage. they look good together.
Old 12-04-2001, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

WhiteGT - welcome to the board!

You might get some ignorant answer from other Honda-philes, but rest assure that most of us are fan of all things FAST!!

I have an ITR, 'cuz it communicates to the driver so well. ITR is not the faster (almost), not best handling (almost), not cheapest (almost) car in the $25k range. As you can see that the car doesn't top any one single test... but when you sum out everything, it's hard to beat for a daily driving situation to track situation. The only thing that ITR cannot have is enought torque, but in track situations that is not a big concern. I hope that kinda gives you a picture of an ITR as a "complete pakcage."

BTW, My g/f's uncle has a 750+ hp Saleen with S/C and he's cool with me having an ITR. LOL. I respect Mustang owners who are into racing aspect of the car culture.

-Sean
Old 12-04-2001, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would estimate somewhere around $3000 to get an integra type r into the 12s at the drag strip. A stock type r can do low 14s in the 1/4 mile, close to what the newer mustang gt runs. In my opinion, it seems like you get more for your money with hondas. The interior is about 100 times nicer and better quality than any mustang i've seen...i'm sure you would agree, they get incredible gas mileage, VERY nice handling for a stock car..especially with the type r. I used to think mustangs were nice until i drove one...i was surprised, it felt like driving a boat. As far as drag racing goes..it's obvious that horsepower is easier and cheaper to make with a 5 liter v-8 or bigger engine, and im sure every honda owner knows that...it's all a matter of personal preference.
Old 12-04-2001, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Willis)

Honda Integra's and Civics have parts that interchangeable as well. So you could have a high 12 sec low 13 sec daily driven unassuming beast in the form of a civic (And if you like sleepers you have to see the novelty in that).
Old 12-04-2001, 04:09 PM
New User

Default Re: (Willis)

Hmm I think it takes a whole lot more than $3000 to get an R into 12s....otherwise half the people in this forum would be in the 12 second mark.

Quick Reply: Please help me out.... Why are Integras/4cylinder sports cars good/better than V8's?