Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

my friend's jdm type r motor snapped the timing belt. lots of damage, pistons and valves wtf

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my friend's jdm type r motor snapped the timing belt. lots of damage, pistons and valves wtf

well we were at mall and my friend wanted to drive a little spiritedly after we left. so she dropped it in first and started at it. going going going till we hit 90. we got to 90 mph on interstate 4 and suddenly we heard the engine stop and go chucka shucka ping ping pang click clock. i was like wtf happened to your engine? she was like i dunno, i'll start floating over. we stopped and we noticed the timing belt was not on the cam gears. it was in half!!. i was like oh ****, your motor got royally fucked. she then started crying and panicking. she was crying now what will i do, what will i do? are we stuck? i said, let me call AAA and have your car towed back to orlando where she lives. she was like ok, ok, sure. i will take off the head and see what happened. couple hours later, me and her took the head off and there was nasty damage. some valves snapped and bent, some pieces of the valves were on the pistons and there is a big gash on piston 4. holy ****, now we dont know what to do! now she doesnt want an engine swap from another type r, and i was like well **** it, get torquey jdm h22 /w b series lsd tranny and adapter plate(just 7 lbs heavier than a b18b) or a jdm k20a where there is no worry about a timing belt. she says she is definately tired of type r motors. she wants something different. this type r motor was bought for 4000 dollars by her rich *** dad. so now, what can we suggest to her? please discuss your opinions and i will see if i can help her out. thanks

dom
Old 10-08-2004, 09:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At this point, I'd suggest just something like a B series longblock available from someone like Password or HMO just to get the car up and running. H22's are definately fun though.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my friend's jdm type r motor snapped the timing belt. lots of damage, pistons and valves wtf (xe

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xeugep &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stop and go chucka shucka ping ping pang click clock. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm sorry....come again?

How can you be tired of a Type R motor? If she's going to drive her car at 90mph in first gear...(if i understood what you said correctly) she doesn't deserve to be driving any car and should stick to walking. I can't even imagine the screaming coming from the engine bay when you keep your car in gear at 90mph.

That sucks the engine blew. I feel really bad for the Type R.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:52 PM

Default Re: my friend's jdm type r motor snapped the timing belt. lots of damage, pistons and valves wtf (xe

NO. she obviously shifted gears while driving. it was NOT in only 1st gear. it was actually on 3rd gear and the **** just broke!!!!
Old 10-08-2004, 09:53 PM

Build a new one! The only thing surperior to an ITR motor would be the K20 swap. If she's like me however, and needs to get back on the road, either build a new one or buy a swap. Good luck, oh and I have recently had the experience of picking pieces of my pistons out of my header collecter, so I feel ya totally
Old 10-08-2004, 09:58 PM

actually i was thinking about the k24 from the tsx mated to the k20a 6 speed tranny or the h22 with don's aka allmotorcrx161 b-series cable lsd tranny conversion. would it be all good if we make this R a little more torquier if me and her ever decide to rebuild it??
Old 10-08-2004, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your actually seriously thinking about the swap. Out of curiousity, why don't you like the B18C5? What are you going to be doing with the car? Daily driver? Auto X? Sure would be an interesting swap. Sounds really expensive.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:11 PM

its really her that doesnt want the R swap again. i really dont care what swap she gets. i was suggesting some alternatives for her. she is just fucked up like that. once a motor breaks, she dont want it anymore. i guess she wants something different. i am telling her that the k20 or k24 would be a good swap since it has a timing chain and not a belt. or h22/b series lsd tranny would be ok if she wants to deal with a timing belt again.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:15 PM

get the k20a the new type r motor... not alot of ppl have it and her car will deff own **** around town
Old 10-09-2004, 12:01 AM

3rd gear at 90...

Rebuild or replace but not with a K series. B is where its at for a DC2 chassis.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:54 AM

"chucka shucka ping ping pang click clock."

that is never a good sound froma motor
Old 10-09-2004, 01:23 AM
len
Honda-Tech Member

Hrm, $4,000 spend on a used JDM Type R motor and didn't check the life of the timing belt? This is a prime example of why you do preventive maintenance on your vehicle. Often when people call, they try to get "extra life" or "wait till the last minute." This is what happens when you skim on a very important piece of your engine. A timing belt is practically a ticking time bomb ready to happen. Through careful inspection while you're adjusting your valves at the normal 30K interval or any time you have the valve cover off, you can easily eliminate this problem. However, who ever did your friend's engine probably did not:

1. Check the timing belt's condition, replaced if needed
2. Check the timing belt's proper tension
3. Check the timing belt tensioner's condition
4. Replaced or inspect water pump

Sometimes with an old motor like that sitting around, the water pump sits in antifreeze or a little of it. Have you ever seen the stuff that builds around the water pipes? The corrosion affect on the water pipes that either protrudes out of your head or the pipe that carries water from the back of the pump to an oil cooler, if applicable, or thermostat? It especially builds up behind the water pump and ultimately may cause it to lock up and put unnecessary tension on the belt and shread it or even cause it to snap.

My advice, rebuild. Unless your friend is willing to stop and educate herself on other possible swaps, then I highly advise straying from the OEM setup. It's simple. Reliable. And less to deal with when having to replace maintenance parts. If she wants something torquey, try trading it in for a 2003 Mustang Cobra or simply looking at another vehicle. In my personal experience with engine building and swaps, if you are not financially able to afford to pay for the swap twice and still have money on the side, then don't do it. That goes into the time put into a swap also, almost doubling. Do your research thoroughly and plan accordingly. Proper planning and a mentality of "do it right the first time" will save you so much time and money.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:42 AM

i talked to the girl today and she is thinking about doing a swap. i told her to get something like another car, e.g. a 350Z, supra (theres one for sale here. yes its a 98 TT supra for 32K), but she obviously said no. dummy. she wants a car that handles good, and gets good gas mileage. the swap that she wants now for the type r is a jdm k20a since it has no timing belt but a timing chain. now tell me if this is a good decision or not. i also heard the k-series motors are lighter that all b-series motors. tell me if this is a good decision on her part since she refuses to get another car. p.s. i told her she is stupid for not going with the supra. pfff
Old 10-09-2004, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm surprised that Len was the only one to jump in and question the preventative maintenance measures taken. regardless of the motor, if there is no preventative maintenance or regular maintenance, there's NO reliability.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Len = Very important points made

Before my swap was installed we checked everything, although i knew a bit more about my motor then most do (history wise)
Old 10-09-2004, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xeugep &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> she wants a car that handles good, and gets good gas mileage. the swap that she wants now for the type r is a jdm k20a since it has no timing belt but a timing chain. now tell me if this is a good decision or not. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What's the big deal with getting another B18C5? Just because the timing belt broke on this one doesn't mean that it will happen with another one. Take care of it and it'll be fine.
Old 10-09-2004, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Power Enterprises.

I'm rebuilding my own right now and I'm not taking chances. I'm taking the whole thing apart and inspecting everything. Even though it only has 26K on it I'm doing the whole 9 yards.

-PE timing belt
-new fuel filter
-new head gasket and valve cover seals
-new spark plugs/wires
-new dist. cap/rotor

Anything else I need to do lol? This motor was out of my posession for a week while it was stolen. I know the whole history of this motor except for one week and I'm not risking it. Why your friend would risk it while not knowing the history of the motor just seems irresponsible.
Old 10-09-2004, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since daddy is made of money, get a K24 short block, a K20 Type-R head, Toda cams, HyTech header and exhaust, and Hondata. Get the mount kit from Hasport and go.
Better yet, get an NSX motor and swap it in there.

Modified by b19coupe at 7:07 PM 10/9/2004